Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
What kind of transmission fluid should I go with in my 2013 3.8 6MT, MT85 or MT90? And also would lightweight shockproof be a good idea for the 3.73 Torsen LSD?
75W85 GL-4 is the correct fluid for the transmission. For Redline, this is MT85 fluid. FYI, people are currently reporting good results with a Mitsubishi fluid: http://www.gencoupe.com/engine/117454-manual-transmission-development-thread-36.html#post1493175

For the rear diff you want 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil, and if you're looking at Redline fluids, they call it exactly that: "75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil".

·
Registered
14 Posts
75W85 GL-4 is the correct fluid for the transmission. For Redline, this is MT85 fluid. FYI, people are currently reporting good results with a Mitsubishi fluid: http://www.gencoupe.com/engine/117454-manual-transmission-development-thread-36.html#post1493175

For the rear diff you want 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil, and if you're looking at Redline fluids, they call it exactly that: "75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil".
Thank you for the quick prompt informative responses. Only reson i brought up shockproof and MT-90 is because in a nearby thread, they brought up good words about the MT-90, its getting cold here in NC and my 6MT is already having problems shifting. :dunno:

·
1stgengen
4,531 Posts
What grade of shockproof did you use?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm going with

Eneos (3092300) GL-5 Certified 75W-90 Differential Fluid Gear Oil.

Anyone use it before?

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Enos has a good rep on the other side of the pond but why use a oil that hasn't been proven to work? I mean, myself included, many memebers over the years have tried many oils, lost transmission, and now we have proven oils that reduces grind and protect the trans.

I'd do some more research into the oil before installing it. See what other platforms that use synchros have said

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm going with

Eneos (3092300) GL-5 Certified 75W-90 Differential Fluid Gear Oil.

Anyone use it before?
Good brand of oil. Should be fine for the differential. I wouldn't use it in the transmission though.

Is there something "home-made" that you can use as a pump to fill the tranny back up?
A funnel with a hose on the end. Snake the hose through the engine bay and fill from the top. That said, a fluid transfer pump is cheap ( < $10 for a cheap one) and makes it a heck of a lot easer.

·
unce unce unce
2,854 Posts
A funnel with a hose on the end. Snake the hose through the engine bay and fill from the top. That said, a fluid transfer pump is cheap ( < $10 for a cheap one) and makes it a heck of a lot easer.
Thanks man! I'll try that sounds like a good plan. thanks.

I filled mine from the top. Used some 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID clear hose and a small funnel that fit inside the hose.
So you did it as yyoline said to?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,266 Posts
The hose went down by the exhaust pipe near the O2 sensors. The funnel was placed where the battery was. You can watch it as you fill too. But measuring what you put is is a better way. Just be sure the hose does not droop down below the opening as it will if you leave it slack.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used a funnel with hose for mine as well, but with "an assistant" I just ran the hose from the outside of the driver's door and under to the fill port.

It worked just fine

·
Registered
996 Posts
What's the earliest anyone has done this? I'm not even at 10k miles, but the shifting in my car is god awful
I did this to my 2013 with only 1500 miles on her , changed it with mitsubishi DiaQueen and it helped out tremendously. Also changed out my clutch line with a braided SS line and was surprised at how dark my brake fluid was when bleeding the line. Fluids won't fix the shotty tranny that hyundai gave us, but it sure does make a huge difference in feel and you'll enjoy driving the car again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well well... i recently replaced clutch fluid with amsoil 75w-90... transmission started doing an awful sound... like a constant crriicckk crriicckk every time I press gas......help!!!

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Well well... i recently replaced clutch fluid with amsoil 75w-90... transmission started doing an awful sound... like a constant crriicckk crriicckk every time I press gas......help!!!
if people have already had great results with other oils why did you use amsoil 75w-90 gear oil? Probably s**ted all your synchros

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to let people looking at this know that it isn't correct. I got the print out from my dealership (I can post). The area he is filling looks like the overflow nut. There is a full nut higher an the tranny that you fill untill the overflow starts to leak. What which point you stop filling.

I have an auto (im lazy :p), might just be on autos. Need to upload that service sheet they gave me, but Im on my way out.

·
2010 3.8 Std Trans
186 Posts
The information he posted is from Hyundai for the manual trans and is correct. Also, even if there is another nut you can remove higher than that one you get the same amount of fluid by adding it to what your calling the "overflow nut". Add fluid until its at the level of the hole left by removing the "whateveryouwanttocallitbutpicturedintheTSBaswheretofillit" and put it back.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts