Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Neutron
7 Posts
Replaced my MT and Diff fluids with Redline and installed Megan Racing tranny mount. Everything is shifting so much smoother. Waiting on my short shifter and bushings and everything should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Replaced my MT and Diff fluids with Redline and installed Megan Racing tranny mount. Everything is shifting so much smoother. Waiting on my short shifter and bushings and everything should be good to go.

That illusion will soon go away. I tried very hard in believing that redline at least did something but it didn't. I had a problem going into gears in cold weather. It did nothing to me until I switched to motul. As for that Megan tranny mount - waste if money. I also changed mine back then - felt zero difference.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Neutron
7 Posts
That illusion will soon go away. I tried very hard in believing that redline at least did something but it didn't. I had a problem going into gears in cold weather. It did nothing to me until I switched to motul. As for that Megan tranny mount - waste if money. I also changed mine back then - felt zero difference.

I appreciate your input and you're right time will tell. Mine is not a DD and I don't track my vehicle and it very rarely sees cold weather. If the fluid does work, it's not the end of the world and I will just flush it out and try another brand.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
^ no problem, let us know how it goes. I drive mine hard and don't baby it haha so motul seems to be working for me. I got it in my transmission, differential and brakes.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
In early summer I switched to AC Delco 10-4014. Couldn't be more happier. I was going to change it soon but have decided to leave it in to see how it acts in the cold.

It's along the line of Redline MTL as far as viscosity.

I also ordered two new drain plugs with magnets. Hyundai no longer list these. I had to get some from KIA.

KIA part number 0081017121

·
Captain Kernel
5 Posts
Hello everybody,

I recently bought a used EU stock 2011 Coupe in excellent state 50k km except for the 5th gear grind. At the time I bought the car I did not notice the grind as I did not test the car at high RPM.

I replaced the transmission oil as recommended with Redline Shockproof Lightweight and the differential oil with Liqui Moly 75W90. Even though my mechanic did not believe this would fix it, as soon as I took the car out of the garage and hit the road the grind was completely gone even at 6k RPM.

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everybody who contributed to this amazing thread.

·
Captain Kernel
5 Posts
Redline did absolutely nothing for mine. Gonna change it out to ACDELCO tonight.
Perhaps you have a different problem and a different gearbox? I have a stock 2011 MT. I did a lot of research on this before changing it. Most people who successfully fixed the 5th gear grind used RedLine for the transmission. So I just went with what most used. For me it seems to have worked fine. I tested the car more today and will some more tomorrow but I think it's fair to say that no matter what I did today as a shifter/rev combination, nothing wrong happened.

A quick side-note: I have to agree with some Canadian posters who said that by using the RedLine variant you will get bad shifts when the weather/gear oil is cold, especially on low gears. It's what I noticed this morning (around 5 degrees Celsius here), 2nd and 3rd goe into gear very hard at first. After about 20 min of driving everything is as it should be.

In any case, I think the thread should be kept updated for people who used the RedLine solution and did not work, or made problems later. Perhaps ACDELCO might a better solution for them...
@2NR4LYF: Please update after switching to ACDELCO. I am very curious to know if that will do it for you.

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Got the AC Delco Synchromesh in last night and could immediately tell an improvement with smoother shifting and less tendency to grind. It's hard to explain, but when shifting, I could always feel if I were about to grind into the next gear. It seems as though this is no longer the case with AC Delco fluid, especially going into 5th. 6th does still grind, but it doesn't seem to be as bad and as often. I'll monitor it and report back. The entire shifting process feels much smoother. I did not get this impression when I tried the AMSOil 75W90. Overall, I'm really happy with this fluid. Also got the Kia magnetic drain plug in (part #: 0081017121). Thanks for the recommendation and part number Red!

·
Captain Kernel
5 Posts
So, bottom line, it's fair to say that RedLine Shockproof Lightweight and AC Delco Synchromesh fix the gearbox grinding problems.
@ApexEight: I did not have any other gear grinding except the 5th. Did you also change the differential fluid?

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
So, bottom line, it's fair to say that RedLine Shockproof Lightweight and AC Delco Synchromesh fix the gearbox grinding problems.
@ApexEight: I did not have any other gear grinding except the 5th. Did you also change the differential fluid?
I've heard mixed things about the Shockproof, but yes, the AC Delco has definitely helped the grinding. Yeah I changed my differential fluid with Lucas Synthetic 75W90. Seems to be doing just fine.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
I've used the lightweight shockproof and it, like all others, helped for a while. The bad thing about it is getting it out of the transmission as a drain will not get it all. Even a drain and fill with a different fluid will come out looking just like the lightweight. Terrible stuff IMHO unless you want to use it all the time.

·
Captain Kernel
5 Posts
So how did you get it out? Multiple drains?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I highly recommend Synchromesh! Redline made mine even more anal than oem. Synchromesh totally made mine better! Crazy how a dif oil can make that much of a difference!

·
Registered
33 Posts
how often does the transmission fluid need to be changed on a stock 3.8 gen coupe?

Dealer is trying to get my girlfriend to do a coolant, transmission, and fuel filter change at 30k miles. She babies the car. no mods... is this stuff really already needed at 30k??
It is an old thread but still, In the Genesis User guide, it is written that it should be changed at 70,000Km for severed used. So for most people it is far behind that. My dealer also told me that I really needed to get that done at around 40k... You should have seen their faces when I told them they were not knowing their stuff...

Never thrust a salesman or a dealership.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts