Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The mineral spirit flush is the best suggestion so far.
The original fluid, that gave the problems, needs to be removed rather than left in to contaminate the new.
There are a bazillion tiny spaces in a tranny that will hold on to the original oil.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
When I did my MS flush I filled it to the overflow. Then with it jacked up and level ran it through all the gears at idle several times. Then left the drain open overnight. No way was that ugly green lightweight shockproof coming out otherwise. I had done a fill with Redline MTL and when i went to change that at a couple thousand miles it was as green as the original shockproof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission Fluid

I need you guy helps, My Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2011 recently hit something and my transmission fluid is leaking, and when I put into gear it won't run. Do I change the transmission fluid filter and which type should I buy ? and which transmission fluid would fit my gen ? If you guy could help me please, I really appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
648 Posts
I need you guy helps, My Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2011 recently hit something and my transmission fluid is leaking, and when I put into gear it won't run. Do I change the transmission fluid filter and which type should I buy ? and which transmission fluid would fit my gen ? If you guy could help me please, I really appreciated. Thank You
Logic dictates if you hit something and not fluid is leaking, there is physical damage done that needs to be repaired. Changing the fluid and filter to try and remedy that is like saying I broke my leg, should I get some new blood to fix it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Logic dictates if you hit something and now fluid is leaking, there is physical damage done that needs to be repaired. Changing the fluid and filter to try and remedy that is like saying I broke my leg, should I get some new blood to fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did this today and the Tranny filler plug is 17mm the rest are all 24mm just thought id let ya know.
So on the 2010 2.0 T track manual transmission the top filler Bolt is a 17 millimeter and the drain plug is a 24 mm? I have looked through three of my tool boxes and for the life of me I cannot find a 24 mm it seems like they stopped at 22 lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also I have two bottles of Redline mt85 because I've heard it only takes a tiny bit of the third bottle so why not LOL. So I am attempting to flush and fill my tranny today. Are the bolts in the same place on the manual 6-speed?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
On the drain bolt a 15/16" works better. 24mm is actually loose fit and you slip and round the thin head out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay awesome I don't have 15/16s either 😔 I'm going to go and buy one right now. I really appreciate the help. This is my first time ever changing my own tranny fluid. Not going to lie it is a little intimidating. The person who had the car before me had put lowering springs on the car so it is slammed. I'm trying to find a level place in my yard so when I do drain and fill it will be right. I'm kind of backed up on a hill because I only have two jack stands. I got the front lifted up with the rear end on the Hill. Hopefully I can find two more jack stands because that **** is sketchy. Wish me luck

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
The drain plug will be tight as can be. The plugs that use washers are usually over-torqued when tightened as it doesn't take whole lot. Be very careful when putting the arm to it when intitally loosening it that the socket stays true.

I do mine by just lifting the front end up a couple times during the process. Fill from under the hood with a long clear hose and a small funnel.

I found the RedLine MTL to be too thick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay awesome I think to try and fill it from do you Hood after I loosen and drain. Is it hard to hold the hoes in the fill hole from the hood? I'm going to check now and see if I can reach. What kind of fluid would you recommend?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
I position the drain pan in the correct location. Then raise rthe car, take out the filler plug first and shove the 3/8" OD hose in it fished down from the top. Then with the front end raised I take the drain plug out and lower the car. Once it's fully drained I raise and put the drain plug in. You can reuse the washer at least once.

The with it still raised I pour in a measured amount from the top. I use some steel wire wrapped around the funnel and strung up to the hood to help hold the funnel on the hose level. Take the hose out and plug the fill hole. And lower the car.

You need a small funnel with a 1/4" od stem to fit in the 3/8" OD hose.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
And I use a KIA drain plug with a magnet on it. Cheap and a direct replacement.
PLUG - MAGNET 0081017121
$3.84​

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
I don't know. At the time I was looking for a plug Hyundai did not list a part numebr so I got the KIAs. Cheaper anyway.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts