Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I tried searching and couldn't find any threads on this ODB2 scan tool I stumbled across. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the ECU re-mapping, custom tune, or the programming of the ECU with custom data sets?

The reason I ask is due to this guy right here: http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html Foxwell nt510 (This thing looks awesome).

It's an ODB2 diagnostic tool with one big additional feature. They state it, "is capable of advanced functions such as actuation, adaptation and programming". So does that mean you could use this to adjust the throttle body, traction control, etc?

I was wondering what people think about this thing and if anyone has any knowledge on how any programming of the Hyundai ECU may work?

(I have worked as an automotive technician and I currently work in IT. I have a degree in IT and have programmed C++ and Java before. So I am no stranger to the two. I'd just like some solid information I can review before I get my feet wet...)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
At very best it can flash tunes via obd, which i consider very unlikely. If you have 2.0 bk1 - look at pcmflash. It will only allow you to read/write tunes though.

nt510 is a diagnostic tool, it can initiate various onboard systems test, on some cars it can adjust some minor settings (not engine related, something more like mirror folding after car locking feature, reset trans adaptation, etc.)

You can check functionlist pdf list located here http://www.foxwellshop.com/upload/service/foxwell-hyundai-functionlist.pdf

Foxwell also seems to have pretty nice support, so you could check with them directly about what it really can do on Genesis - Foxwell Support Blog | Foxwell scanners, software, update, download & FAQ,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At very best it can flash tunes via obd, which i consider very unlikely. If you have 2.0 bk1 - look at pcmflash. It will only allow you to read/write tunes though.

nt510 is a diagnostic tool, it can initiate various onboard systems test, on some cars it can adjust some minor settings (not engine related, something more like mirror folding after car locking feature, reset trans adaptation, etc.)

You can check functionlist pdf list located here http://www.foxwellshop.com/upload/service/foxwell-hyundai-functionlist.pdf

Foxwell also seems to have pretty nice support, so you could check with them directly about what it really can do on Genesis - Foxwell Support Blog | Foxwell scanners, software, update, download & FAQ,
Thanks for the suggestions and info!! I'm going to look into all of it and probably buy the reader either way in about a month. I've emailed the manufacturer and have not had any luck getting a hold of anyone. So I may end up experimenting with it and returning it if all else fails.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
The PDF for Hyundai is missing the special function chart so it's hard to say exactly what the Foxwell unit can do for our cars but as @lokiinlove said, from looking at other car manufacturers functions, all it can set it testing conditions and maybe some BCM options, certainly not engine controls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I tried searching and couldn't find any threads on this ODB2 scan tool I stumbled across. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the ECU re-mapping, custom tune, or the programming of the ECU with custom data sets?

The reason I ask is due to this guy right here: http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html Foxwell nt510 (This thing looks awesome).

It's an ODB2 diagnostic tool with one big additional feature. They state it, "is capable of advanced functions such as actuation, adaptation and programming". So does that mean you could use this to adjust the throttle body, traction control, etc?

I was wondering what people think about this thing and if anyone has any knowledge on how any programming of the Hyundai ECU may work?

(I have worked as an automotive technician and I currently work in IT. I have a degree in IT and have programmed C++ and Java before. So I am no stranger to the two. I'd just like some solid information I can review before I get my feet wet...)
I have Foxwell NT510 Elite Full Systems Scanner,foxwell scanner Product performance is very good

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
old thread.

Anyways, OBD2 protocol is for diagnostics, resetting, and triggering. I uses a totally different protocol for the actual reprogramming/flashing.

OBD2 protocol is federally standardized on all makes/models from 1996. The programming/reflashing protocol is NOT standardised. Reason why there isn't a universal reprogrammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts