Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start off by saying...don't do this lol. I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome, but it was a pain in the ass to do. I'm going to try and do a little write up for annoying else looking to do this.

What you'll need:

- Time & Patience (between running to the store, setting up, etc I'm sure I spent 6-8 hours doing this).
- 3M or any, very strong, spray on adhesive (took me almost 3 cans).
- Black spray paint, optional (I painted some pieces black, personal taste though).
- Suede or Ultrasuede, I bought mine at Fabricland.
- Scissors to cut the material.

Give yourself room to do this in, my garage is cluttered and I was constantly having to move **** around. Make sure you cover the floor or wherever you're working as well because of the glue.

Cost:

Between the fabric, adhesive and paint I spent around $90.

Steps:

1- Remove the sun visors, any screws holding the pillars on, etc. Each pillar has to come off so that you can remove the headliner and each pillar has a screw holding it in, you have to pop off the SRS airbag clip to get at it.

2- Once all the pillars are removed and all the clips, etc holding the headliner in are out, you can start pulling down on the headliner. The are clips throughout, try not to break any of them. Just play around with it and you'll see where it's being held on.

3- Once the headliner is down you have to fit it through the door, recline your seats all the way back and bring it through the passenger door. Two people is best, but you can do it on your own. You'll need to bend the headliner, I bent it right behind the sunroof hole and then just pull it through the door opening. Put your window down too, this will give you a bit more room. The remove the sunroof, you just need to play with it a bit, bring it back all the way and move it side to side.

4- Start wrapping, lay out the fabric, measure it and cut it.

5- Apply the glue to the piece you're doing. Too little it won't stick, too much it will be a pain in the ass to work with. I sprayed over the same area 2-4 times depending. You can always lift it up after you've done to correct a wrinkle.

6- Remove excess fabric, but leave enough to be able to glue it on the other side. Flip the piece you're working with over and spray a light coat of glue along the side and fold over the excess fabric. You'll need to cut the fabric to release the tension (see the sunroof picture).

7- Paint any pieces you want painted (Note some of these pieces are from a WRX and not the Genesis).

8- Re-install everything and enjoy.

Before:

After:

I will have more pictures tomorrow, just got to dark out to take any.

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still grey for now. When you're actually in the car, it doesn't look bad at all. I may get the center piece vinyled and order black sunvisors, still unsure. In no rush, the big part is done.

·
on german Autobahn
429 Posts
haha to funny I started a few days ago by doing the dash on the passenger side... :D
But i have enough to do the headliner as well and just wanted to wait how it comes out :)

How is the feeling inside the car now? any claustrophobic issues? ^^

The visors will be pain!! :-/ Maybe my granny has a good idea or can stitch it on the sides.

Nice writeup! In for more Pics!

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want pictures of the dash!!

Inside is fine, not to dark, definitely darker though lol. In my RSX I had painted the interior black, so I'm used it it.

The visors, I may end up ordering new black ones, but for the time being, I'm not in a huge rush to change anything up. I'm not unhappy with the way it looks.

I'll try and get pics by the weekend for sure! Haha, it's long overdue now lmao.

·
Registered
240 Posts
wow looks pretty good so far

·
on german Autobahn
429 Posts
I want pictures of the dash!!

Inside is fine, not to dark, definitely darker though lol. In my RSX I had painted the interior black, so I'm used it it.

The visors, I may end up ordering new black ones, but for the time being, I'm not in a huge rush to change anything up. I'm not unhappy with the way it looks.

I'll try and get pics by the weekend for sure! Haha, it's long overdue now lmao.
Here you go:

It looks kind of blueish in this light but should be black...
Yesterday I made the panel on the driverside (under the cluster) and the "hood" of the cluster. dunno the english word...

Still no pics of the changes yesterday, got pretty late ;-)

I'm planning on doing the glovebox and the mayor peace of the doorpannels as well.

We'll see where I stop :D feels so nice! Have to touch it all the time :hellokitty10:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Love it. Ive wanted to do this for a while and now that I know someone has done it and I know it can be done im going to give it a shot! Thanks and nice.write up

Sent from my SGH-T959 using AutoGuide App

·
Jack of All Trades
839 Posts
want to fly to canada and do my car? lol
where did you get your suede?

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re-read first post lol. I live in Canada, Ottawa actually. Cost was 90$ and I bought the suede at Fabricland.

·
I reject to reality
1,117 Posts
That is awesome! mad props for taking this on!

I wonder how nice it would look in a suede that matched the existing fabric color.....hmmmm

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is awesome! mad props for taking this on!

I wonder how nice it would look in a suede that matched the existing fabric color.....hmmmm
Sounds like a **** load of work to end up with almost the same thing lol.

·
I reject to reality
1,117 Posts
maybe so, but personally I'm not a fan of the black on black on black interior. I Like the lighter color up top. but I also like the luxury factor of the suede.

to each his own

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear you, if you want to do it by all means. I think it would look sick!

Once you're in the car, you honestly don't notice the gray, it just kinda flows.

·
on german Autobahn
429 Posts
sorry have been busy the last weeks...

My gen is currently at the dealer so its still just the dash on driver and passenger side.
Have some really weird engine electrical problem -.- takes time, they are changing the ecu for a test these days.

I'll keep you up to date if i'm changing anything!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts