Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thanks for the DIY, I finished mine last night.

The hardest part was putting the headliner back in by myself. Anyone planning on doing this I strong recommend you have a friend help with the re-install.

Here's a couple bad pictures.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You might want to mention that you should disconect the negative battery to discharge the airbag. Unless its different for our cars. I always thought that was a saftey precaution

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
You don't have to disconnect the airbag... Though you'll be in the area of the airbag. Not a bad idea thought I don't think its necessary. Looks like you changed up the door cards as well?

And yes, Having an extra set of hands is very nice for reinstall.

·
1,525 Posts
You need 46" wide or more x 1.5 yards. I bought 3 yards, and glad I did when I messed up the first time. Another yard if you're matching doors and pillars.

·
Team Sun*Works
291 Posts
You need 46" wide or more x 1.5 yards. I bought 3 yards, and glad I did when I messed up the first time. Another yard if you're matching doors and pillars.
did the 46" fit totally from side to side or did you use multiple piece? I measured the inside and it looked like i needed atleast 50"

·
1,525 Posts
Ah, you're right. Here's where I ordered: Purple Upholstery Micro Suede - Sy Fabrics and yes, they list as 58-60 inches. And it was a single piece with several inches of overhang (needed for the curvature)

Reactions: kimnat0r

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dont know if anyones mentioned this cause i couldnt be arsed to read past the first page, but if the airbags deploy, wouldnt they just sent that hard plastic into your face since the micro cuts on the pillars are covered by suede? Same reason they tell you not to use seat covers.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
1,525 Posts
what hard plastic? Airbags are located up above the door windows and aren't any more covered up than they already are (by the rubber flap and the edge of the headliner). There are no airbags in the pillars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats what I was worried about(airbags in pillars) but just looked and worries went away lol

·
Red Eyed Lurker
101 Posts
Man, these fabric jobs are amazing. I want to do this someday, but I have neither the skill or patience. So jealous.

·
LivingADream
339 Posts
Is there a way to do it in black leather like the rest of the interior. Don't like suede. May consider Alcantra but still dont like it as much as leather.

·
1,525 Posts
You can cover it in your grandmas old bedsheets if you want. Just have to watch how moisture resistant it is and how heavy. Heaviness without a good glue coat will cause it to sag. Leather should be fine with the spray, I doubt you'd see any of the spray glue on the viewed side. Hardest part is going to be finding a sheet that big that matches up to the stock leather well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
hows the adhesive holding up? I used 3m to suede the a pillars and stopped there to see how well the fabric would stick, but about 3 weeks later I now have ripples where the adhesive didnt work... so im still trying to find a good adhesive for the headliner... any thoughts?
U need a wildwood contact adhesive, about $12 a quart at hardware stores, I do interiors daily and got away from 3M spray adhesives, there cheap and don't work, looks good for little whole...u can look at the post with the purple suede and see all the problems there...

61 - 80 of 101 Posts