Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:gc-noob:

for a canned tune

·
Registered
204 Posts
It depends on if you are concerned about warranty issues...it's completely up to you. A lot of threads about this tune.
I got an extra ecu to swap out for warranty work.

Heads up this will probably be a pointless thread because this is really your decision based on your situation and wants/needs from dealership service

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
I would. If fo no other reasons simply because you have a back up and if you sell the car you can always sell the tune ecu to someone else and get back some of your money.

If you don't live near the tuner having the spae ecu is a must. Especially if its your DD.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
I would. If fo no other reasons simply because you have a back up and if you sell the car you can always sell the tune ecu to someone else and get back some of your money.

If you don't live near the tuner having the spae ecu is a must. Especially if its your DD.
Except that there are several ECU versions even for the same year/model/trim, so you cant just drop it into another car as you may get immobilizer issues.

Also, I would counter saying I have had my tune for about 95K miles and done warranty work without issue, even replacing the ECU when it had a hardware failure (capacitor went out). As was said, it just all depends on your preference (how comfortable are you running just tuned) as well as how your local dealership service dept. is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
This has been discussed many times before,

if your concerned about warranty get a module that will let you flash back to stock (more expensive)

If you don't car about warranty then just get a ECU for sfr, br, ect.

Hyundai though can deny your warranty claim if they find the tune on your ECU, they can even detect a module. Best to go talk to your local dealership and see what they say about mods, Say SWIM "someone who is not me" is thinking about getting a tune, will yall service it?

There you go

P.S. you can always get another ECU and replace your stock one when you go back to the dealership, just run your car for a while before you go so it can read the mapping

·
Registered
948 Posts
^ Good advice. I talked to the Service Manager (not advisor) about this on one of my past cars and just plain out told him I was considering a software tune, exhaust and cai and asked what the impact would be on my warranty.

Surprisingly, he said as long as they don't find signs of abuse (driveline shock aka clutch drops) and nothing internal was done to the engine he was okay with that as long as I was willing to put back to stock if there's an issue they can't fully diagnose.

Drove the urine out of the car for 115k and never had a mod related issue.

·
Parabolica Blue 2.0T :)
709 Posts

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.