Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched high and low. Even spent $20 to access the Hyundai shop manual (only to find a link to it for free:crying:). I found the lb-ft torque for the Crank Pulley (209.8-224.2 which is a hell of a lot but that's what in the manual) and the Water Pump Pulley (5.8-7.2), but I can't find a solid spec for the Alternator Pulley ANYWHERE! I have a 2015 3.8 A/T. I got some Torque Solution LWPs coming in here soon and I would really like to have a solid number for the torque so I don't mess anything up. And no I don't want to just get a shop to do it because Maria is my girl and I refuse to let anyone's hands touch here but my own haha. But seriously, if anyone knows it sure would be helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Should be closer to the torque on the crank pulley. The water pump torque is so lowbecause it uses 4 10mm bolt opposed too a single 23mm.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
On a side note, I can't get my alternator pulley off. Everyone I try and break it free the pulley itself spins underneath the belt. How can I hold the damn thing still to break the bolt?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Similar to the crank? That seems like a lot of torque for the alternator. Granted it seems like a he'll of a lot of torque for the crank pulley as well, but that's what the shop manual says.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I torqued my crank pulley to 220. I definitely wouldn't trust the alternator pulley with less than 10lbs on it, though it is a really small pulley. Also, if it was that low I don't think I would be struggling so mightily to get the stock one off.

·
Premium Member
14,828 Posts
IIRC the water pump pulley are just 3x 10mm fasteners on the 2.0. On the 3.8 it looks to be 4x 10mm, I wouldn't feel comfortable torquing them 50ft/lbs unless there is documentation.

The alternator looks to be one large nut, I would just use some blue locktite and torque it somewhere around 40~50 ft/lbs.

I assumed your bought a pulley kit. Word of advice, DO NOT change out the crank pulley.
when they balance the crank at the factory, they balance it with the pulley and the flywheel on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has. And I haven't seen a single problem with the 3.8 from LWPs. In fact there's one post on here for a 3.8 mod list that suggests them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,828 Posts
I thought it had been decided quite a while ago that the 3.8 was internally balanced?

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Even some long stroke v8s aren't full internally balanced, and can't be.
Maybe the person that claims that it's balanced just got lucky with his crank.

The pulley and the flywheel help even some of the front and rear crank weight distribution when balancing.
It's also so to lessen the amount of material that has to be removed when balancing.
There isn't just "over all" balance, but the difference in balance from the front counter weights to the rear to consider.

IIRC, there have be 2 people on the forum that claimed that the pulleys caused bearing failures.
I don't know about you, but that's something I wouldn't be willing to chance. I just think of it as 1 less part to put on that has no real functional benefit.
shiny crank pulley vs. chancing, at the very least; having to do the work twice; at the most having to yank the engine out and rebuilding the bottom end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts