Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, apologies in advance since I am pretty noob with tires and rims in general but I have a 2010 2.0T non brembos and I've looked into a lot in this forum regarding square setups and having a smaller rim wheel size overall..

The one thing that's confusing me is if the rim widths/offsets matter when I look for steel rims to buy?

I could literally take this to the hyundai dealer and have it done with no headaches but I found a better deal with some other tires. Basically they gave me a quote for a 215/55R17 setup on 17x6.5 steelies. I know the stock rims are 18x7.5 and 18x8 but for square setups I'm assuming that all 4 can be the same spec? I also feel like 6.5 is a bit small compared to the OEM size.

Basically what I'm asking is what should I be looking for when I buy steel rims other than the diameter? I have seen so many threads about people having square setups on steelies but they never really mention the spec of the rims themselves.. does it not matter at all?

Thanks guys.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Going narrow isn't a bad idea in the winter - narrow tires carve through snow quite well with their smaller contact patch.

Be forewarned that a square setup will cause the Traction Control to get more aggressive - it's pre-programmed to expect a ~2.5% difference in rear to front wheel speed and may think your rears are on the verge of slipping all the time with the smaller tires (causing higher axle velocity in the rear).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going narrow isn't a bad idea in the winter - narrow tires carve through snow quite well with their smaller contact patch.

Be forewarned that a square setup will cause the Traction Control to get more aggressive - it's pre-programmed to expect a ~2.5% difference in rear to front wheel speed and may think your rears are on the verge of slipping all the time with the smaller tires (causing higher axle velocity in the rear).
Thanks for your input! Yeah I heard about that TCS issue a lot but I don't think it would be that detrimental to have it off then right? It may spin the tires more but fishtailing can still be avoided?

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Yeah, it's not bad at all - there's no wild snap oversteer to worry about. As long as you're not a maniac with the steering and throttle, it's a lot of fun with TCS off.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Thanks for your input! Yeah I heard about that TCS issue a lot but I don't think it would be that detrimental to have it off then right? It may spin the tires more but fishtailing can still be avoided?
Not sure if it completely applies since I'm not on 17s but my stock wheels going 235 45 all around and no low speed issues. I do know under hard acceleration it doesn't like going over 80 mph. Winter tires so no need to go those speeds anyhow. Its been a month but so far all good even when cornering. I've only turned the TCS off once and that was just to test the dry traction from 0 to 90 on a freezing day.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Not sure if it completely applies since I'm not on 17s but my stock wheels going 235 45 all around and no low speed issues. I do know under hard acceleration it doesn't like going over 80 mph. Winter tires so no need to go those speeds anyhow. Its been a month but so far all good even when cornering. I've only turned the TCS off once and that was just to test the dry traction from 0 to 90 on a freezing day.
Sounds about right - I'd get low-speed over-aggresive TCS kicking in if I used too much throttle.

And my TCS would kick on the highway at 70-75mph (120kph is the minimum speed we go around here in the dry) and I'd have to turn it off to make a simple pass :|

I drove all winter, every winter with TCS off just cuz of my mismatched sized tires :p Good tread = never an issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts