Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day, 2010 genesis 3.8L auto, changed timing chains, guides and tensioners, now it has what sounds like a chain rattle coming from the drivers side of the engine , so i removed the valve cover on that side to check things out. At first the timing chain looked ok, its tight on the chain tensioner side, but the chain is loose on the other side, would this be the
problem? all my timing marks line up, car runs good once started, it just rattles on the drivers side on the first start of the day, does not do it again until it sits for12-24hr.Almost looks like the tensioner is not holding on the ratchet teeth??

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,107 Posts
Did you not change the tensioners?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,721 Posts
Did you have the cams locked down when you set the chain on the marks? On the 2L I found I had to or there would be slack between the cams if I didn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have the cams locked down when you set the chain on the marks? On the 2L I found I had to or there would be slack between the cams if I didn't.
No , i did not have them locked down, I have the front timing cover off again, the tensioners look good and seem to be working good, the ratchets seem to be holding ( i turned it over by hand like 30 times ) and the ratchet never moved, i did take a screw driver and pushed on the guide on the tensioner side and it did click one more click, it was just on the edge of the next ratchet, so i think i will change out the oil pump this time , just in case its getting weak.
Both of my exhaust CVVT ( phaser actuators) have play in them, i can move the cam and the gear does not move, the cam moves about 7-10 degrees before the CVVT gear starts to move. So guys are saying they are bad, here is a link to my post with video,s over on the facebook Genesis page https://www.facebook.com/groups/HyundaiGenesisCoupe/3071212369665084/?comment_id=3074385572681097&reply_comment_id=3074416492678005&notif_id=1593046262219587&notif_t=group_comment_mention.
So I will be changing the exhaust CVVT ( Phasers), even though the intake CVVT ( Phasers ) do no have any play ( seem to be good) I am trying to find out what the norm is if you replace the exhaust the intakes CVVT will fail soon??? and I also found out the bk1 3.8, the intake and exhaust CVVT got superseded part numbers , as they got superseded, the intake cams must also be replaced with the updated ones in order to be compatible with these updated intake CVVT (luckily the exhaust cams don't have to be replaced with the updated exhaust CVVT) .
So now i am trying to find out if the BK1 3.8 has cam bearings ( sleeves ) I can find them for the 2.0T motor , but not the 3.8L, maybe it does not have them , ( my turbo apex 1000cc 450hp sled does not have cam bearings ( sleeves). It would be odd why they would have them in the 2.0T motor , but not the 3.8L motor.

Well its been a great day, looking forward to tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts