Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The White Magician
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies and Gentleman, I have discovered the clutch that our cars should have come with. I have written a short review about how I chose this clutch and my initial impressions. Stay tuned for a 1k mile review.

DTM Speed X-TRM Clutch/Flywheel Kit
Break-In Period
By: Justin

On February 9th 2011, Touge Factory installed their first ever DTM Speed X-TRM Clutch/Flywheel kit for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t. At the time, there were limited options as far as clutch kits go, and many different opinions on the quality and drivability of what was available. That is until I heard about a Korean product designed by DTM Speed (Valeo) and implemented in the Korean Grand Touring Championship as the specified clutch kit for BK cars participating in the series.​
To provide some background on my driving experience, the Genesis Coupe was my first car with a standard transmission. With that being said, I have only have 30,000 miles under my belt but the car has been through approximately 6 track days at the drag strip. The car is daily driven (weather pending) and sees most abuse on the street. After installing a few bolt-ons and a tune (approximate gains of 40hp; 60ft/lb), the stock clutch simply did not have the clamping force for the task. Analyzing my needs for now, as well as my future hp goals, Dave and Mike Lee of Touge Factory advised me to choose a product that will hold up to extreme power for many days to come.​
The DTM Speed clutch kit was installed in one afternoon, as promised, by Eric and his techs over at TF Works. I have had other work done by TF and hold their expertise in service in the highest regard. Initially, I was somewhat afraid that a race clutch would be difficult to manage on my daily commute. When I sat in the car, the first thing I noticed was the shortened throw. It was probably 25% less than what I had been accustomed to and the weight of the pedal was slightly heavier. I imagined the car bucking and stalling until I would have a chance to get the hang of it. I was wrong. To my surprise, I drove it out of the lot relatively smooth on my first try.​
The next few days were a learning experience as this was my first time driving an aftermarket clutch. The standard break-in period for clutches is 500 miles and that’s exactly what I did. Although, I think the 500 mile period was meant to get me adjusted to the touchy bite. I drove in congested areas, purposely, not only to practice engagement in 1st gear but to get the full effect of what it was like to be stuck in traffic. After 500 miles, I can easily maneuver in traffic and have zero issues with the setup. Also, after getting rid of the stock dual mass flywheel and replacing it with something almost 20 lbs lighter, I expected to get chatter / noise. There is, in fact, no chatter to speak of and the little sounds that do exist are almost inaudible. For any enthusiast, the DTM Speed product can easily be described as daily drivable.​

:bowdown:

I will follow up in a few days with a performance review.

Here are some pictures of the stock clutch and flywheel.

And here are some pictures of the install.

Agency Power SS Clutch Line

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
+100000

glad you like it! I love mine! this clutch is THE BEST solution for this car, hands down. it was purpose built for the Theta II motor, it bites just before 3000rpm where the motor builds max torque - it's a helluva ride.

I wish mine was as quiet as yours, LoL, mine chatters like a b*tch while it warms up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey QM quick question on this clutch. i bought the Spec 3+ with flywheel awhile ago, IF i happen to have issues with the clutch as some people have, will this clutch match up with the spec fw or will i need to buy the whole set up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yea, i think they did in the past but i heard they redid their flywheel to fix the problems. at least thats what i heard.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I think you'd need to shoot an email to Arvin @ PowerAXEL to get that question answered, I was advised by the owner of DTMSPEED not to use this clutch with anything other than the DTMSPEED or OEM flywheel. It's possible it may fit but I would be willing to bet without accurately measuring the thickness & contact area diameter of the two flywheels to compare, you're gonna have problems.

BTW the owner of DTMSPEED was really a cool guy, he actually flew out here recently from Korea and went to my favorite nightclub with me after having dinner with me. His product is one of the few on my car that went on without a hitch and functions perfectly.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Great to know. It looks great! Where did you pick it up at?

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
+100000

glad you like it! I love mine! this clutch is THE BEST solution for this car, hands down. it was purpose built for the Theta II motor, it bites just before 3000rpm where the motor builds max torque - it's a helluva ride.

I wish mine was as quiet as yours, LoL, mine chatters like a b*tch while it warms up.
2nd Best clutch solution for this car & my 2nd choice for a clutch for my car had I not already purchased the best clutch solution for this car - The Beyond RedLine Exceladyne twin disc setup! :bowdown:

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
Does Touge sell PA modules too? I seem to remember PA being affiliated with a tune shop by that name or something like it

·
The White Magician
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Does Touge sell PA modules too? I seem to remember PA being affiliated with a tune shop by that name or something like it
Nobody sells PA modules in Illinois, to my knowledge. If there is, they don't do tuning.

Touge Factory owns STANCE suspension if you haven't heard of them. Their Time Attack car set a bunch of records last season.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
That car is sick ^^^^:bowdown:

·
Flame Thrower
1,124 Posts
Anyone have first hand knowlege of the updated/upgraded Spec flywheel? I've used Spec in my past turbo cars and absolutely loved their products.
DTM clutch looks good in the car btw!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Anyone have first hand knowlege of the updated/upgraded Spec flywheel? I've used Spec in my past turbo cars and absolutely loved their products.
DTM clutch looks good in the car btw!
I have spec stage 3+ and flywheel and have drven the DTM with flywheel as well. Spec 3+ is closer to stock feeling. I think it chatters a bit more than the DTM and I have intermittent crank position sensor limp modes after the install. DTM is more money but it's the only one I think has 0 complaints other than it had been back ordered for a while.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
You're probably thinking of Touge Tuning in Toronto (Oakville).
yup and not recommended by me.......

on another note...ARVIN hurry up and get back to me with the details on that Clutch lol I need it here before you come up in may!

andrew

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
Awesome review!

We apologize for the backorders~ the manufacturer tends to fulfill the OEM clutch orders before producing the performance clutches. As promised, we should have it in stock from Korea and do a GB soon!!
are they gonna come out with a stage 3 before this group buy?

·
The White Magician
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
are they gonna come out with a stage 3 before this group buy?
When I first started looking at clutches, I was thinking the same thing. I was actually quite nervous about how a race clutch would behave when I had to drive it to work every day. I am 100% glad I chose this particular package. It's not bad at all!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts