Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running e85 gasoline with all bolt on sucks as FMIC, CAI intake (tunneled to fog light), BOV, turbo back 3" exhaust, and no tune yet?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
How would anyone be running on E85 on this platform without being tuned for it? Not to mention modifying the fuel system, oh and the small matter of replacing the factory ECU so you could actually run the car.

And FYI a cold air intake on an intercooled turbo car is pointless.

·
hemiwest
78 Posts
$$ kickback from big corn and we,the public are hosed! all ethanol is a sick joke foistered on us by the crooks in DC ! It ruins all small engines and soon be revealed how much it is doing to our cars.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Just checking, and I was thinking the same thing except he must not have really been paying attention to the guys actually building those cars.

To expand for OP since I was tired and punchy last night:

1. The GC is not a flexfuel car from the factory, if you put E85 in the tank the car would probably run (to a point) but it would see zero benefit from the E85 because the factory tuning and fuel system aren't designed for it.
2. Since this is a tuner platform the desire to run E85 would be to see performance gains, since that's not possible from the factory you'd need to tune for E85, so no one would be using it on an untuned car.
3. The factory ECU is not programmed to adjust for ethanol content and cannot be made to since it's a closed source system (as far as I'm aware only a couple of factory ECUs can be hacked to tune for flexfuel), I suppose it would be possible to tune it only for E85 (someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in) but that would be problematic when you can't find any, so you'd need to replace your ECU with an aftermarket option to do it right.
4. While doing that you'd also need to modify the fuel system by at the very least adding a flexfuel sensor so you could run on normal gas and ethanol and be tuned for both, you may also need to do other modifications to other components to compensate for the extra fuel volume E85 requires but maybe not.
5. The turbo is powered by exhaust gasses, it gets really hot, 10-20 degrees lower IAT won't matter when the air hits the turbo and get's heated up, it's the intercooler's job to cool the air going into the motor, spend the money on a better intercooler if your build needs it not an intake system.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
LOL @Jason Yuen comment hahahaha.

It is literally impossible to run E85 without a tune.. It burns much, much quicker, and more efficiently than gasoline. On 93OCT I was running low 11 AFR, but with E85 I can run low to mid 12 AFRs. (This is all on my Evo BTW, not a GC).

So I have dual maps setup in the stock ECU. However, I have to drain the tank if I want to switch between fuels. the other day I unplugged my battery to do some stuff. Well, when you disconnect the battery, the car automatically goes back to the pump gas tune. I totally didn't notice this.

Started up the car and it just idled like complete $hit. I looked over to my AFR gauge and it just says 20.0:1....... LULLLLZZZ!!! again, that is with a 93Oct tune, but with E85 in the tank. literally idled at 20.0:1 AFR

E85 is awesome.. I picked up 75WHP in the Evo from making that switch... But the only way you are going to be able to run a TRUE flexfuel set up is if you hard wired a Haltech ECU.
@[email protected] Have you guys ever tuned a GC on E85? do you know if the stock ECU has a second "trigger". On the JDM Evo they get an Intercooler sprayer, but USDM doesn't. So my tuner can use the "trigger" in the ECU for the sprayer, and turn it into a second map for running an alternate fuel. The GC may not have this, but can you tune for JUST E85? presuming all other supporting modifications have been done, such as compatible pump, injectors and filters?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OP cant run e85 without tune. Now that thats out of the way...

Id imagine you could tune for e85 fairly easily, as long as you have a consistent e85 source that stays at the same E content year round. You could adjust your fuel scalar to account for needing more e85 fuel than you would with normal gas. Where the problems come into affect are when the E blend changes depending on your location and time of year. Around me, I have a difference of up to 15 pts, as tested by myself using E content tester, throughout the year. Even if you are conservatively tuning your car to run e85, which if you are looking for max power, you arent, then you still can only vary by about +/- 5pts in my experience across multiple platforms. If open source tuning ever came to the GC, you could do this no problem. If you were to use the CMD, you may be able to get it to run fairly well, but I am not sure how much you could adjust things. Using the CMD is just speculation on my part, but would be interested to see if it could work.

As for hardware to do this, an upgraded fuel pump is almost certainly needed, as you will be flowing much more fuel with e85 than you would with pump gas. Injectors would probably be needed as well due to the increase in flow. An ethanol sensor wouldnt be needed unless you have some way to communicate between the sensor and your ecu to adjust fueling based on the e content. Right now, I am not sure there is a way to do that on the GC (maybe could do it with a Haltech?).

But, like @LeesEvoGenX said, e85 is a beautiful thing if you can tune for it. It runs much cooler than pump gas and is around 105 octane, and as such, you can push the car further before you start to get into the danger zone.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Armando from Ditto Boost, local to me, said he can tune for E85. Going to be talking to him about it in the next month or two.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Armando from Ditto Boost, local to me, said he can tune for E85. Going to be talking to him about it in the next month or two.
The stock ECU can be tuned to except E85 no problem. The ECU doesn't care what fuel you use, as long as it gets the correct timing, fuel and air mixture. you can run C16 if you want to.

The only issue is E85 will corrode fuel lines, and gum up filters. That why you need compatible SOFT lines (Hard lines are ok), fuel filters, pump and injectors.

you CANNOT run E-85 on the stock fuel pump and filter. and you will probably end up needing bigger injectors because your car will use more E85 to maintain correct AFRs at WOT due to its efficiency.

It can be done. Its just a matter of how much you are willing to spend to make it all work correctly.

·
kwrspec
187 Posts
Sorry for replying to this month old thread but i just wanted to share my source. Recently I got a confirmation from Tim @ BR (seemed like BR had experience with e85 on gencoupes) saying that I should be fine with my current oem fuel lines. I've also been trying to see if our cars are able to go e85 and did a lot of research and also got lots of inputs and info from other members and vendors since im not really experienced with e85.
With the current mods i have currently have on my 2010 2.0t rspec:

Stock Turbo
NGM defender intake
HKS SSQV4 BOV
Full Exceladyne TBE
Treadstone TR8 FMIC and Pipings
Deatschwerks 1000cc Injectors
Deatschwerks DW300 (320lph) Fuel pump
and the most important Haltech ECU Standalone

With these mods Tim stated that I should be fine to go e85 with a proper tune from someone experienced with e85. (He also gave me a warning; Quote "Just keep an eye on your injectors as sometimes deposits from the tank can plug up injectors as ethanol is a pretty strong cleaning agent."
I live in AZ and I definitely have someone with e85 tuning experience (Evo guys might know Phuong from WingzPerformance)
So we will see how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
E85 will clog up injectors.. hence a proper inline fuel filter to get rid of that crud

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Didn't KharTuners have a stock 2.0 on E85 making 350+?

I read about on a couple topics not too long ago. You can tune the ECU for E85, granted you get the correct timing and AFR's, but I would assume if you don't change oil lines you're gonna gunk up the motor after a while?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Really stupid that Hyundai didnt make these cars flexfuel. I have a e85 station a block from my place. Get to see a bunch of modded subie/evo guys filling up there daily.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Really stupid that Hyundai didnt make these cars flexfuel. I have a e85 station a block from my place. Get to see a bunch of modded subie/evo guys filling up there daily.
hehehhe dont you hate those evo guys lol. you can tune the Gen on E85 no problem though

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
lol did you just discover your first episode of mighty car mods and regurgitate everything you heard?
No, it'd sound more like

"Anyone running maad choo-choo on corn juice with a cuppala bodgy bolt-ons anna front mount intahcoolah before runnin a Haltech Elite tuned by Tuning Fork? IT'S GONNA BE MAD!"
*dick jokes* Cheryl
"MAD!"

·
Registered
782 Posts
hehehhe dont you hate those evo guys lol. you can tune the Gen on E85 no problem though
Yeah once you mod the fuel system to be able to physically move it through without corroding out. I like how the cars with flexfuel have the sensor so the ecu automatically adjusts for the fuel it sees coming into the rail.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts