41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
Deleted post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice write up. You mention the hesitation between 1st and 2nd, Id highly recomend going with either the Sprint V3 booster, which I run, or the less expessive, but still highly recomended Trios, theres a thread or two on them around here somewhere.
Thanks! I'll check out the Sprint and the Trios.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Can someone tell me what this hose does? And can i add like a mini air filter to it? Thanks
Thats part of the P.C.V. system, most folks around here leave that side alone but run the other side, the one that goes from the rear of the passenger side valve cover to the manifold inlet in front of the throttle plate into a catch can to prevent burnt oil vapor from cakeing on the intake valves. I was going to do exactly what you propose but made myself a custom metal and rubber line with a small air/oil seperator in line. theres a thread on catch cans,should give you all the info you need.

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Can someone tell me what this hose does? And can i add like a mini air filter to it? Thanks
I think i answered you on fb, but it's a breather. That's the vent side of the pcv. You can get a breather from AutoZone for $15 or so.

Here is a great video on the pcv and catch cans

https://youtu.be/Tbja6B79-rM

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well since I put the stock air box back on with the dropin K&N filter and did the front mod opening up the plastic vents bigger ,I'm noticing a little better gas mileage at cruising speeds. I'll keep an eye out it's not my imagination. Yes my intake roar is quieter but I didn't notice a loss of power taking out the CAI . Also to me the throttle responce seems slighty more crisp in stop and go traffic. I'll have to post my CAI on the for sale section,lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You mention the hesitation between 1st and 2nd, Id highly recomend going with either the Sprint V3 booster, which I run, or the less expessive, but still highly recomended Trios, theres a thread or two on them around here somewhere.
:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag I installed a TROS unit I bought off eBay over the holidays, and I have to say that I can dial out any perceived hesitation at will with it. What that indicates to me, potentially, is that it isn't an airflow induced hesitation, but probably an anomaly with the throttle body opening. I was skeptical of the Sprint and TROS boosters at first, but I'm now convinced that Hyundai designed the throttle-opening ramp rate so that any noob with zero manual transmission experience could drive it and not be intimidated. I love having the ability to tune the throttle response to my own desires, as well as experimenting on which setting is best for which conditions.

·
The Only
16 Posts
So, I have been thinking.
I searched the forum to see if anyone has thought of / attempted this - But is anyone curios as to whether or not an air duct that directs air upward toward the snorkel could be beneficial? At lower speeds, it would direct more air into the Ram Air Intake / Snorkel of the car. The Ark Solus bumper has a small duct in the front (I am not sure of how functional it is). Something like that on the stock setup, I think, could be interesting (to say the least). I have been drafting some ideas for an exhaust and, while considering flow, this idea hit me. I may consider drafting an idea up for this as well.

However, just in case, am I too late on this idea? Has something to this effect been done / developed?

·
Bill
586 Posts
good for cool factor... don't know that it would be any more effective than a cai in the front grill.
people have been doing it since the shaker hoods and ram airs in the 60's...

·
The Only
16 Posts
good for cool factor... don't know that it would be any more effective than a cai in the front grill.
people have been doing it since the shaker hoods and ram airs in the 60's...
Well, I referenced the Solus for example, but I was thinking like a simple flap/slat of material behind the stock front grill that simple directs air upward. pretty much a scoop that sits under the grated piece in front of the snorkel. I imagine that, at lower speeds especially, it would help cooler (outside) air flow into the RAI. As is, the stock intake is pretty efficient. However, there is some air mixing right in front of the radiator that precludes air from entering the RAI, so the air that is induced is done so by vacuum (demand of the pistons). at high speeds, air is induced by the lack of resistance and movement speed. At lower speeds, this may be beneficial? question mark?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you want to be adventurous - try to do what Mazda did with rx8.
Come up with variable intake pipe so you can have better torque down low and up high, as well as velocity stack in the intake box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
The Only
16 Posts
Got to have a history of your IATs so you can compare to see if it drops the temp. As for ram air have fun but don't expect anything.
I was looking at the system while in the garage, and I realize that Anything gained would immediately be lost at the filter; everything from the filter back is still vacuum-pulled by engine demand. I am abandoning this project before I even start it - shame :|. I shall continue with my exhaust project.
Thansk for the input, Red:grin:

·
The Only
16 Posts
:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag I installed a TROS unit I bought off eBay over the holidays, and I have to say that I can dial out any perceived hesitation at will with it. What that indicates to me, potentially, is that it isn't an airflow induced hesitation, but probably an anomaly with the throttle body opening. I was skeptical of the Sprint and TROS boosters at first, but I'm now convinced that Hyundai designed the throttle-opening ramp rate so that any noob with zero manual transmission experience could drive it and not be intimidated. I love having the ability to tune the throttle response to my own desires, as well as experimenting on which setting is best for which conditions.
What did you search for on ebay for the unit? Im searching and not doing too well. I may have to hunt down one of the vendors for a Tros unit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
What did you search for on ebay for the unit? Im searching and not doing too well. I may have to hunt down one of the vendors for a Trios unit.

Well it’s a TROS unit, not a “Trios”, so that could help. I just found a half dozen on eBay searching “Tros throttle booster”. You can also add or switch to “6 drive” or “8 drive”, depending on the unit you ultimately choose. I have a 6, but I don’t know what the differences are between the two. Good luck.

·
The Only
16 Posts
Well it?s a TROS unit, not a ?Trios?, so that could help. I just found a half dozen on eBay searching ?Tros throttle booster?. You can also add or switch to ?6 drive? or ?8 drive?, depending on the unit you ultimately choose. I have a 6, but I don?t know what the differences are between the two. Good luck.
Thanks! I was concerned that the Throttle plug/connector (near the pedal) was specific to out car and a certain type / unit had to be pruchased. is the "6 drive" or 8 drive" pretty much universal-ish?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts