Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on sfr canned stage 1 tune, wondering if i need to reset ecu or retune after installing 2.5" ic piping and mishimoto fmic. as expected there is a slight loss in boost 1-2psi... currently peaking at 16psi in 4th low rpm and tapers to 13psi. can anything be done with the tune to utilize the new lower temps? maybe smaller piping would have been better?

also im straight piped except for the downpipe,. has intake and o2 housing as well

thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try resetting your ecu , but your cars ecu should learn . Your pesk boost seems low to me . I have the same tune .and hit 19 point somthing psi . Look for a posible air leak in i.c. pipping

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try resetting your ecu , but your cars ecu should learn . Your pesk boost seems low to me . I have the same tune .and hit 19 point somthing psi . Look for a posible air leak in i.c. pipping
yeah honestly even before the fmic i saw a spike "one-time" 17psi.. and it really only holds 13.5-14.5..... im automatic too if it makes a difference.

my tbolt clamps are locked in ungodly tight. according to bluetooth dash command app my vacuum is 9.6-9.7 if you ever used that app.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yup the automatic slightly lacking in performace ..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try Torqe pro with hyundai add on less than 10 bucks . A much better app

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why did you go to your new FMIC?
Was your oem piping 2.25 ?
If so the larger fmic with the increase ID of the piping is nothing more than pressure drops effects on your current tune. One should re-tune when adding significant system upgrades to achieve maximum benefit. Tunes can adjust some, but in your case the boost drop should have been expected.

Most get a larger fmic when they put a larger turbo or significantly increase their tune,(custom).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did you go to your new FMIC?
Was your oem piping 2.25 ?
If so the larger fmic with the increase ID of the piping is nothing more than pressure drops effects on your current tune. One should re-tune when adding significant system upgrades to achieve maximum benefit. Tunes can adjust some, but in your case the boost drop should have been expected.

Most get a larger fmic when they put a larger turbo or significantly increase their tune,(custom).
well i live in florida and the heat has been ridiculous to where the car runs ungodly slow. intake temps were around 136-140 with all the stock piping and the FMIC managed to reduce this to 110-114 which i think is pretty significant.. so my original goal was to get colder air to the engine more often.

CXRacing,Mishimoto, CPE, they are all running 2.5" pipe so i went with that - i couldnt find a diy kit with 2" piping or 2.25"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have stock turbo a tune, 2.5" piping and a huge IC. Still see 21 psi as a peak. Tapers to 15 psi or so depending on ambient temperature .
Damn, are you canned sfr or alphaspeed? auto / manual?

i checked all connections from hot side to cold side... tbolts are torqued down hard! all new couplers and everything.. i'm getting a new intercooler on monday too just in case there is a leak there, z-line mishimoto.. that's all i can think of. I've had the BOV on / off i've used the stock valve... all of which have not made a difference so i don't think it's that either.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Damn, are you canned sfr or alphaspeed? auto / manual?

i checked all connections from hot side to cold side... tbolts are torqued down hard! all new couplers and everything.. i'm getting a new intercooler on monday too just in case there is a leak there, z-line mishimoto.. that's all i can think of. I've had the BOV on / off i've used the stock valve... all of which have not made a difference so i don't think it's that either.
It's a custom over the internet tune from what use to be Beyond Redline. PA tuner hardware. Manual trans. Had it updated once and it is almost spot on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm guessing you have a BK1. SFR stage 1 canned tunes vary a great deal, depending on the octane choice you picked. They have options for 87, 89, 91 and 93. Anything below 91 is going to run too rich, especially in a very hot and humid climate and the mapping will not be as aggressive. You can adjust the wastegate arm by turning it clockwise to shorten it and get a little extra boost from it. I had 3 turns, it was boosting to 20 and holding around 18, but it was boosting too much at part throttle so I back it to 1 turn. Now at 1 turn, it's at 18 and holding around 16. Also check your intercooler pipes for leaks, but I doubt it cause you would hear air blowing out. You can also bypass the heater hoses to the Throttle Body to lower your IAT's, since you live in FL you can leave the bypass permanently.
Now about the stock Bypass Valve compared to a real Blow Off Valve, you are recirculating air that should have been expelled into the atmosphere. The problem with the recirculated air is that it's no longer charged from the turbo so it just kind of like sits there and gets hot from the heat of the turbo housing. You are better off using a real Blow Off Valve and routing it from the main vacuum source off the black and white check valve. It will be more responsive in releasing boost when getting off the throttle at WOT. It will not increase your boost level, but it will provide a better flow of charged air when getting off and getting back on the throttle at WOT. But then again you have an automatic, so you have constant load unless you get off the throttle completely.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
I'm guessing you have a BK1. SFR stage 1 canned tunes vary a great deal, depending on the octane choice you picked. They have options for 87, 89, 91 and 93. Anything below 91 is going to run too rich, especially in a very hot and humid climate and the mapping will not be as aggressive. You can adjust the wastegate arm by turning it clockwise to shorten it and get a little extra boost from it. I had 3 turns, it was boosting to 20 and holding around 18, but it was boosting too much at part throttle so I back it to 1 turn. Now at 1 turn, it's at 18 and holding around 16. Also check your intercooler pipes for leaks, but I doubt it cause you would hear air blowing out. You can also bypass the heater hoses to the Throttle Body to lower your IAT's, since you live in FL you can leave the bypass permanently.
Now about the stock Bypass Valve compared to a real Blow Off Valve, you are recirculating air that should have been expelled into the atmosphere. The problem with the recirculated air is that it's no longer charged from the turbo so it just kind of like sits there and gets hot from the heat of the turbo housing. You are better off using a real Blow Off Valve and routing it from the main vacuum source off the black and white check valve. It will be more responsive in releasing boost when getting off the throttle at WOT. It will not increase your boost level, but it will provide a better flow of charged air when getting off and getting back on the throttle at WOT. But then again you have an automatic, so you have constant load unless you get off the throttle completely.
Other way around ;)

too lean, the ecu will cut timing and other things. Basically the ecu is listening to the knock sensor. The knock sensor is a mic, tuned to listen to a certain frequency. The leaner the engine runs, the more likely for the engine to give off that frequency, then the ecu starts to cut timing and other things.

EDIT: BK1 doesn't use a WB sensor. It reads O2 by how frequent the readings sweep from high/low from the narrow band sensor.

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
lower octane than what it's tuned for means the engine will run leaner.
Yes, but we don't know which tune he has. SFR has 4 different mapping options for the stage 1, 87, 89, 91 or 93. What I said was that the 87 and 89 will be richer right off the bat than a 91 or 93 tune, to compensate for the lower octane. Couple that with the hot and humid climate of Florida and you get a double whammy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
lower octane than what it's tuned for means the engine will run leaner.
Yes, but we don't know which tune he has. SFR has 4 different mapping options for the stage 1, 87, 89, 91 or 93. What I said was that the 87 and 89 will be richer right off the bat than a 91 or 93 tune, to compensate for the lower octane. Couple that with the hot and humid climate of Florida and you get a double whammy.
thanks for everyone responding-. I am currently on the 91 octane stage 1. I would actually say the car is running rich according to my dashcommand app and also the tailpipe is a little black 🤣.

I definitely have not tried the wastegate how do I know that I overturned it will it over boost and just cut back or will the motor just blow up. LOL

edit: 91 octane

·
Registered
310 Posts
thanks for everyone responding-. I am currently on the 91 octane stage 1. I would actually say the car is running rich according to my dashcommand app and also the tailpipe is a little black 🤣.

I definitely have not tried the wastegate how do I know that I overturned it will it over boost and just cut back or will the motor just blow up. LOL

edit: 91 octane
OK, so it's climate related. Especially in this weird heatwave, hot and humid temperatures cause the air to become very dense, causing the ECU to compensate and run rich. Once it gets cooler and less humid it will run right and that's the best time to baseline your wastegate. You can adjust the wastegate arm and increase your boost a little just by turning it clockwise 1 whole turn at a time until you like where it's at. At 3 turns I was hitting 20 PSI and holding at 18, at 1 turn I'm hitting 18 PSI holding at 16. Not every car is the same, so there is a little trial and error. This is an old school trick that is best for the BK1 with the vacuum controlled wastegate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, so it's climate related. Especially in this weird heatwave, hot and humid temperatures cause the air to become very dense, causing the ECU to compensate and run rich. Once it gets cooler and less humid it will run right and that's the best time to baseline your wastegate. You can adjust the wastegate arm and increase your boost a little just by turning it clockwise 1 whole turn at a time until you like where it's at. At 3 turns I was hitting 20 PSI and holding at 18, at 1 turn I'm hitting 18 PSI holding at 16. Not every car is the same, so there is a little trial and error. This is an old school trick that is best for the BK1 with the vacuum controlled wastegate.
i will give it a go... since im running rich i feel like im in a good position to try this. if anything goes wrong will it just go into limp or boost cut? seems almost too easy to be true lol

1 - 20 of 50 Posts