Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I ditched my HSD coils due to the noises they made and instead decided for the simpler route of a spring and shock combo. I went with the Eibach Sportlines and the Bilstein B8 shocks/struts. I was buttoning up the front when I realized that the seller had sent me 1 b6 strut in a b8 box, so I uninstalled the strut and just put the Sportline spring on the stock strut for that side until its replacement came in the mail. I put the car down and noticed that the side with the Bilstein strut (Driver's Side) sat about a 1/2" lower than the side with the stock strut.

Has anyone else done this spring and strut combo off of stock and noticed this?

Also it may be a bit low for my liking, I will see once I get the other strut on. I like the height of the passenger side right now with the stock strut however I don't want to run stock struts on lowering springs. Does anyone have any input on if the Eibach prokit are about 1/2" higher than the sportlines for our car? All the old posts about it have broken links for almost all the pictures so its hard to tell. Also should note that these were just installed yesterday so they haven't even settled if they are going to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the replacement Bilstein B8 strut installed on the passenger side and it seemed to even out the drop

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride quality is good. I only had the one stock strut on with the sportlines but during that time that corner did feel a bit "looser" for a lack of better words. Now evrything feels pretty firm but not uncomfortable at all. Just keep in mind it did seem that the sportlines rode higher in the front with the stock struts. It's only been a few days since I've had them on but I haven't noticed any drop in height since installing them.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
shorttrack
1,703 Posts
B8's and sportline are the way to go .Most that have coilovers are using coilovers that are at the low end of performance envelope (non race and non rebuildable ).Bilstein B8's were design very well and tested at Nurburgring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah unfortunately I got caught up in all the adjustability with coils that I was practically never going to use. The B8s with the sportlines are great and they have the same amount of drop I was running with coils anyway. Plus you know that you're getting good quality rebuildable parts, just make sure you get the B8 dampers, and check the part numbers on them. When I first ordered them I got a B6 in a B8 box, I didn't realize it until I had it installed and was about to lower the car off the jack.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Also should also note, getting the brake line retention screw started in the bilsteins is a bit of a pain, not sure why that made their bracket like they did with the little lip at the bottom.
Edit: Photo below shows the difference between the B6 (Right) and the B8 (Left) as well as that little tab at the bottom of the brake line mounting spot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also bought into the whole "adjustable" thing with coilovers.... After two years with my Ark DT-P's, and never adjusting a damned thing... and fighting with messing up the spring rate....... I just made the switch to B8's and Eibach ProKit. Amazing difference... Install it and forget about it. The ride height was just about perfect for what I wanted and the ride quality/performance is livable with daily driving. Wish I would have done this from the beginning.

Now, if you're going to spend the time to adjust, corner balance, do a bunch of track days, etc...etc... then go on with the coilovers.... Otherwise, this is the way to go!

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I ditched my HSD coils due to the noises they made and instead decided for the simpler route of a spring and shock combo. I went with the Eibach Sportlines and the Bilstein B8 shocks/struts.
Interesting you went this route. I was about to buy HSD because everyone on this forum raves about how comfortable they are for every day driving, and that they have the dampening to be softer than OEM. I am looking for the same type of low'ness as what you are in. Which is a more comfortable ride?

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I ditched my HSD coils due to the noises they made and instead decided for the simpler route of a spring and shock combo. I went with the Eibach Sportlines and the Bilstein B8 shocks/struts.
Interesting you went this route. I was about to buy HSD because everyone on this forum raves about how comfortable they are for every day driving, and that they have the dampening to be softer than OEM. I am looking for the same type of low'ness as what you are in. Which is a more comfortable ride?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They ride about the same at the settings I had the hsds on which was about midway on the click wheel for both front and back. Mine just made noise, I tried everything to fix it and it just ended up being the shocks themself. I had no luck getting support for them either. If they worked, they would have been great. I was just tired of dealing with them.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hey Hovie59, sorry to be O.T. but what rotors are those in your 1st pic,where did you get them, and hows the quality compaired to the stock Brembos, they look good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Hovie59, sorry to be O.T. but what rotors are those in your 1st pic,where did you get them, and hows the quality compaired to the stock Brembos, they look good.
They are powerstop rotors I believe. I bought the car used and they were already on it so I can't compare them to the oem rotors. I did put EBC red stuff pads on them that I would recommend if you don't mind a little brake dust. I can't imagine for a DD you would notice much difference with rotors but I'd buy them again for the looks if I was in need of new rotors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What year is your car? Do you have pro kit spings (black)? Does anyone have pro kit springs on a bk2 3.8. R-SPEC with stock shocks and struts? If so, how long? How is the ride?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts