Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,056 Posts
Howdy! I think the only other longitudinal 3.8 is in the Genesis sedan, and first gen Kia Sorento. There are other cars that use the same V6 architecture, but they're outfitted for transverse FWD/AWD duty and I think they almost all have shorter stroke crankshafts. 3.3 and 3.5 ltr displacements. Only the first generation KIA Sorento came with a first generation 3.8ltr Lambda. The lambda engine over the entire Hyundai/KIA family seems to have been available only in 3.3/3.5/3.8 displacements.

And with what seems to be fewer than 100,000 Coupes sold in North America, it's actually a pretty rare engine.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Howdy! I think the only other longitudinal 3.8 is in the Genesis sedan, and first gen Kia Sorento. There are other cars that use the same V6 architecture, but they're outfitted for transverse FWD/AWD duty and I think they almost all have shorter stroke crankshafts. 3.3 and 3.5 ltr displacements. Only the first generation KIA Sorento came with a first generation 3.8ltr Lambda. The lambda engine over the entire Hyundai/KIA family seems to have been available only in 3.3/3.5/3.8 displacements.

And with what seems to be fewer than 100,000 Coupes sold in North America, it's actually a pretty rare engine.
kia stinger 3.3tt should fit... getting it to function in the coupe is another story.

The hyundai equus came with a 3.8 in MPi and GDi. Basically the same engine in the genesis sedan.
The sedan version of the engines are rated for lower HP. People and Hyundai said it's because of the intake manifold designs, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are other things too.

The main difference because the 2010-2012 (BK1) gencoupes and the 2013+(BK2) versions is that the 2013+ comes with direct injection (GDi)....
So.... if you have a BK1, it's best to stick with a non-GDi 3.8 (MPi) and vice versa.

I believe you can swap the block, but compression, and with that, piston face designs are different. I wouldn't be surprised it stroke is different too.
Basically more headaches to get things to work.
Putting a GDi 3.8 in a BK1, easiest/quickest solution is to swap over all the wiring, computers and AC (that too has different design and operation). basically everything that isn't the chassis.
IMO, if you're going to go through all that trouble to get a GDi 3.8 to work in a BK1, might as well get the 3.3TT out of a stinger, G70/G80/G90 to work. Should be about the same work.
Then you shouldn't be dinged when you get it smog tested, if you swap the turbos out for better ones.

But... if it were me, and wanting to go through the whole process, I would swap in a better designed engine.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,056 Posts
...But... if it were me, and wanting to go through the whole process, I would swap in a better designed engine.
Hahahaha, I love the way my MPI Lambda 1 sounds, but I have to admit, you're right here. The low end torque and torque build ramp of this engine in it's stock configuration is abysmal, not to mention the rather mediocre quality fit and finish. You need to build a 3.8 to get the best out of it, that's for sure. And the insane complication of a swap to something straighforward like a 3.3t means you might as well do a 2J or an LS.

Stick with the engine you have, or go full race/show and do something nutzo, because keeping it Hyundai/KIA won't improve the cost or complication.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The Hyun Palisade and the KIA Teluride have a 3.8 block. So they are still making the blocks. Whether or not it would be bolt compatible is an entirely different question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts