Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I was driving my 2013 hyundai genesis coupe on the freeway and I was going about 75 and something did not feel right and when I pressed on the gas pedal my car shut down, and when I parked it on the freeway all my radiator fuild leaked out. After I towed it to a mechanic that I know they said that the engine is blown because the engine is ticking real bad. Does anyone know anything about these engines and do these cars normally shut down like this? Before this happened I had no lights on, this has been my first problem with this car, only has 75000 miles on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ticking could mean a lot of things. These motors should also not be blowing up at 75000 miles with remotely proper maintenance. If what you're saying is true and complete and you have done your oil changes then it almost sounds like they're scamming you. Make sure you hear the "ticking" for yourself or at least try to look at the damage. If it's just some ticking coming from under the valve cover then the worst that is happening is some valvetrain issues.

·
Premium Member
15,285 Posts
Ask your mechanic to clarify by what he means by blown engine
My definition of blown engine is a hole in the side of the engine, which means the engine is a boat anchor at that point. Not salvageable

Others might mean blown engine as a spun bearing. Which is salvageable, but means a lot of work and money.
Might be cheaper/faster to just throw in a junkyard 3.8 engine.
Just make sure you get the GDI 3.8 if yours has direct fuel injection.

EDIT: just remembered, it could possibly timing chain stretch and that causing the valve train to not be in correct time.
In this scenario, the tapping would be the valves hitting the pistons. This would be less of a hassle to fix, and would need just the heads rebuilt and timing chain replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts