Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Im in fourth or third gear around 2000 or so, once I press down on the gas, sometimes ill hear a crackling noise coming from the drivers side. I've searched through the forums and some seem to think its a plug gap issue. I am curious to know if anyone has run into this since, and what was your solution to it? I love the car, but so far its had its share of issues. Very thankful for warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got the same problem from my first week of owning this car (3 years ago) :) I've searched through the forum many times but found no answer. Many gen users in my location got this problem too. And one more interesting thing: Now I'm with CMD (boost ~18-20 PSI), I noticed much smoke back of my car when this Crackling/Ticking happens. I always thought it was detonation and tried NOT to accelerate from low rpm. With CMD it happens even on third gear when you trying to floor from <3k rpm. But I got it on stock car too... detonation even on the stock car ?!?!
P.s. sorry for mistakes in text, foreign language for me :)

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,383 Posts
The Torque app can track any detonation and sound an alarm if you want it too.

I had mine set up to sound the alarm when it heard one instance. It would go off with about any heavy throttle use. But I set the alarm to go off with 2 instances and it does not go off at all now.

You can data log it and you can also track which cylinder is pinging.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
Hey did you ever figure this out? I just started to get this today, high rev, above 3500rpm and WOT causes a crinkling crackling popping noise from driver side enginebay

·
Registered
187 Posts
When Im in fourth or third gear around 2000 or so, once I press down on the gas, sometimes ill hear a crackling noise coming from the drivers side. I've searched through the forums and some seem to think its a plug gap issue. I am curious to know if anyone has run into this since, and what was your solution to it? I love the car, but so far its had its share of issues. Very thankful for warranty.
Have this same thing going on. I have also read that it could be a spark plug issue. in third of 4th gear under light acceleration I hear the crackling noise. As I go to full throttle it tends to disappear. I am not sure that its the plugs, but it could be. If you solved your problem I would love to know what it was.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
try gaping the plugs at 0.025 and see if still does it

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Torque app can track any detonation and sound an alarm if you want it too.

I had mine set up to sound the alarm when it heard one instance. It would go off with about any heavy throttle use. But I set the alarm to go off with 2 instances and it does not go off at all now.

You can data log it and you can also track which cylinder is pinging.
I can't find this in the Torque app for the life of me, can you enlighten pls?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,383 Posts
I can't find this in the Torque app for the life of me, can you enlighten pls?
Do you have the Hyundai Advanced plugin?

If you do on the main Torque page, go to settings with the phone menu button, go to manage alarms, then use the phone menu button again to choose your alarms.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Do you have the Hyundai Advanced plugin?

If you do on the main Torque page, go to settings with the phone menu button, go to manage alarms, then use the phone menu button again to choose your alarms.
I think you've mentioned it before but I can't seem to find it. Which Car Model are you using for the Hyundai plugin? BK-A, BK-B or BK-C? Also which parameter monitors detonation? I see there's several PIDs/Sensors for knock on each cylinder. @Red Raspberry

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
i pulled my plugs and checked em. they all look fine, one step colder NGK iridiums gapped too i forgot what

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my short block changed under warranty because of low compression. And no more ticking at low rpm under load. :flushed: Spark plugs not changed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Revising from the dead...

Having this same issue, well I've had it for a while but never got around to troubleshooting it.

It's happened with my plugs gapped at .036 all the way down to their current gap of .025. Sounds like it comes from the drivers side of the engine bay.

Anyone solve the issue and forget to post back up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts