Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this is the right spot, but if its not...Mods please move it.

Im currently drived a gencoupe 2.0T and I was thinking of detailing the engine.

Has anyone ever done it? Im just looking for some tips and advice. I dont want to do any harm to the car!

All suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i have never done it but youtube has alot of videos you can watch..hopefully somebody with knowledge can point out anything to watch out for.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't done a hard-core cleaning of my GC engine yet (only 1300 miles on her) but I have used cleaned other engine bays. There's a good series of videos at Adam's Polishes, and one specific to Engine Detailing. You can also tone of info at Autopia.
Ive watched the ones from Adams...im a member. I just wanted some insight from people who own a Gencoupe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The engine compartment overall looks pretty sealed. I haven't done a full detail yet but I would pick a warm day in the sun and avoid the ECU and fuses behind the driver-side wheel well with anything high-pressure. Dry with leaf blower or similar and finish off.

From what I've read in HMA Service site, all engine compartment connectors are either water-tight and if they are not, then they are to be packed with grease. I haven't heard of any problems and would have no reservations of hosing out the engine compartment.

-Tom

·
Registered
358 Posts
After I wash out any of my vehicle's engine bays, I always start the car and let it sit idle for at least a good 10 mins w/ the hood shut - this will not only naturally dry off the engine bay, but will also make most pooled water accumulation evaporate quite quickly.

Another detailing trick after engine bay is dry and clean - use some WD40 and spray it over the engine bay. WD40 is a natural water displacement aerosol, not only that, it will also protect all exposed metals from oxidation and/or rust. WD40 will NOT harm anything under the hood at all. Upon initial start up, any WD on the exhaust or headers, or engine block will "burn off" (not in the flame sense), it will not flare up at all, any excess will just steam off as the engine gets to normal temps.

I've used that method for YEARS and never once had any issues w/ start up or drivability and the engine bay stays really clean and makes it easier to clean the next time around. I always detail my engine bays when the vehicles are washed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts