Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just swapped my engine about 3 weeks ago, someone blew up my first 2.0 engine on a test drive, and so I put a “new” 2.0t out of a 2011 auto, I have a manual, I switched everything over though like the flywheel and intake manifold, and I have a bigger turbo setup so I put my old turbo manifold and turbo on with it with all my other supporting mods. It ran great for about 3 weeks, and last night I did a first gear pull and dumped it into second, and sure enough, it died, I think I definitely blew the turbo, I had it tuned on 23lbs of boost and the old engine took it fine for roughly 2 months before it was ran with no coolant by the guy looking into buying it, but this time around everything was fine and it was running great prior to it dying, but it really did not want to start after it died, took roughly 15 minutes to get it to start back up and when it did start I had to keep it alive by keeping the rpms up, and anytime you’d let off the gas while driving it would clank really hard, it also had no power at all, so my question is does anyone know if it was the engine that failed or just the turbo, and if the engine is toast, are there any engines that aren’t from Hyundai match up to the manual transmission

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
engine will run even if the turbo failed.

if the "clanking" changes follows the rpm, then it's the engine.
low coolant causes head gasket problems, not rotating assembly problems.
rotating assembly problems is usually caused be not having enough oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m thinking the timing chain might be loose or skipping, idk if that could cause the clanking, but does anyone know if an sr20 will fit in our cars?

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
I’m thinking the timing chain might be loose or skipping, idk if that could cause the clanking, but does anyone know if an sr20 will fit in our cars?
if it's to the point that it's making a clanking noise, then the valve train is going to have to be rebuilt. bent valves
You can try doing a compression test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think I’m gonna do one today, my last engine was down in the 120s, hopefully this one is better, and also if the timing chain was skipping is it possible it messed up the crank shaft?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,430 Posts
Doubt if it hurt the crank. I'd pull the valve cover off and see how close the marks line up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll check that out too, also does anyone know of a preferred engine swap for these cars, I’d like to stay with the 4 cyl turbo feeling, but I didn’t know if anyone knew of something that matched up well with our cars

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
I’ll check that out too, also does anyone know of a preferred engine swap for these cars, I’d like to stay with the 4 cyl turbo feeling, but I didn’t know if anyone knew of something that matched up well with our cars
If you don't want to deal with getting all the computers to talk to each other, then no.

Otherwise, gut out all the electronics and graph in what works.

A bunch of people have been doing RWD honda K20 conversions over the last few years. Would be interesting build to do.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
543 Posts
SR the world

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
543 Posts
good luck trying to find one in decent shape and rwd.
There are tons up here in Canada. My buddy picked one up recently for $2000 with a forged bottom end for is Z32

1 - 11 of 11 Posts