Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help... im having engine codes P0017,p0300,p0301,p0303,p0305... i have a 2015 3.8 BTR canned tuned coupe and i have changed spark plugs and ignition coils and still nothing, the idle is rough and the engine performance is lacking badly. save me :(

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ok ,

You have already changed your coils and plugs. Dudes see the P03--- whatever and assume what you have.

The codes you have listed in their entirety as a group indicate:
1. An entire side of you motor, ie cylinders 1,3,and 5.
2. The appearance of the P0305 specifically indicates an error of > than 2% in rpm and cylinder 3 firing.(So that really indicates towards a camshaft positioning sensor error).
3. A camshaft positioning sensor error.

**There are four (4) camshaft positioning sensors on the 3.8 BK 2 two in front and two rear. So the obvious first step is to replace either the front sensor or back sensor or both if needed. This is done on the bank 1,3,5 side only.
Have fun on the back sensor, they re really tucked in back there. I 'd start with the front sensor on that bank. Its easy to get to. Replace it see if it clears it. If not leave the new in place, and replace the rear sensor as well.

Are you a BK2 ?

Another possible cause of a whole bank of cylinders misfiring could be a leaking IM gasket on that side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im BK2 and i will check the sensors when the weather gets better here and do you really think changing the sensors will fix the misfires because i know its all on the passenger side

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thats what your codes indicate. You already changed out all the plugs/coils. Focus on the two on the passenger side. Do the front first, then also the rear if its not corrected.
Whats your year/mileage.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I got this from the internet, here is your passenger side front camshaft sensor. The rear passenger side is tucked way back there under alot of ****. I cant take a pic of it. Start with the easy one.
Remember these thing are used by the ECM to adjust fueling/timing, so it explains away all the symptoms you are having.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Teaching moment

Sorry for the incomplete answers, My gal was over all weekend, and she kept wanting to have sex,.................
So here are some better pictures as to where the exhaust Cmpsensor are.

On the BK2 3.8 there are four total camshaft position sensors, two forward which are the intake camshaft, and two aft which are the exhaust camshaft sensors.

The OP has misfires in the 1,3,5 bank which is the passenger side of the engine.

The front sensor monitors the intake camshaft and sends its readings to the ECM which makes timing adjustments on the fly for that bank.
The rear sensor is for the exhaust camshaft and monitors sends it info in the same way.

The front or intake camshaft position sensors are one part number. (2).
The rear or exhaust camshaft position sensors are another part number. (2)

These sensors are 80-100.00 a piece.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Now for the news you probably dont want to hear but need to:
(This info is from my Hyundai expert buddy,...SO its right !).

The OPs codes
P0017,p0300,p0301,p0303,p0305.

With reference to the P0017 it is a co-relation code, NOT a circuit code. What that means is its reporting bad data hence the misfires and codes, but IT is most likely not the problem.
Bad sensors are almost always accompanied by a circuit code failure.

"What is causing the bad data",................timing is off.

Why is the timing off. The timing chain and its hydraulic adjusters are not making the appropriate adjustments hence the
timing is off and you are having misfires.

Why only one bank ? The Intake camshafts adjustments are off on that SIDE only.

Why? The most likely culprit is the forward Camshaft Oil Control Valve on your 1,3,5 bank.

There are two forward Camshaft Oil Control Valves and two rear or exhaust Camshaft Oil Control Valves.
The forward Camshaft Oil Control Valve is located right under the front of the valve cover adjacent to the timing chain.
GDI motors are filthy and these valves get gunked up, so the camshafts can not adjust to the proper timing adjustments given by the ECM hence the misfires.
So it is caused by dirty/oxidized/burnt oil. So somebody in you cars history has not done proper oil changes or used crap oil, and causes this.

How do I fix this ?
You pull your intake/plenum, move your harness,remove you EVAP sensor assembly. Remove your 1,3,5 valve cover. Find the Camshaft Oil Control Valve pull it, clean all the gunk in and around it. Since you have the cover off, find the Exhaust Camshaft Oil Control Valve remove and clean it up too. Re-install the valve cover ensuring you dont jack up the gasket and cause new oil leaks.

The good news is you probably dont need any new sensors.
So if you dont want to/cant,..it will cost you labor,labor,labor. But its not a difficult repair, just tedious. For everyone reading,....reduce your oil intervals and use good quality full synthetics !!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll keep my fingers crossed, hope its the front sensor. Getting to that rear passenger side sensor is a bitch.
i cant find any shop manuals for the life of me im pretty sure its the rear passenger side camshaft sensor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now for the news you probably dont want to hear but need to:
(This info is from my Hyundai expert buddy,...SO its right !).

The OPs codes
P0017,p0300,p0301,p0303,p0305.

With reference to the P0017 it is a co-relation code, NOT a circuit code. What that means is its reporting bad data hence the misfires and codes, but IT is most likely not the problem.
Bad sensors are almost always accompanied by a circuit code failure.

"What is causing the bad data",................timing is off.

Why is the timing off. The timing chain and its hydraulic adjusters are not making the appropriate adjustments hence the
timing is off and you are having misfires.

Why only one bank ? The Intake camshafts adjustments are off.

Why? The most likely culprit is the forward Camshaft Oil Control Valve on your 1,3,5 bank.

There are two forward Camshaft Oil Control Valves and two rear or exhaust Camshaft Oil Control Valves.
The forward Camshaft Oil Control Valve is located right under the front of the valve cover adjacent to the timing chain.
GDI motors are filthy and these valves get gunked up, so the camshafts can not adjust to the proper timing adjustments given by the ECM hence the misfires.
So it is caused by dirty/oxidized/burnt oil. So somebody in you cars history has not done proper oil changes or used crap oil, and causes this.

How do I fix this ?
You pull your intake/plenum, move your harness,remove you EVAP sensor assembly. Remove your 1,3,5 valve cover. Find the Camshaft Oil Control Valve pull it, clean all the gunk in and around it. Since you have the cover off, find the Exhaust Camshaft Oil Control Valve remove and clean it up too. Re-install the valve cover ensuring you dont jack up the gasket and cause new oil leaks.

The good news is you probably dont need any new sensors.
oh **** this just popped up i will go look now lol, for some reason that reply wasnt coming up

·
Registered
975 Posts
What happened above is a perfect example of something that can not happen to a CERMA treated engine with CERMA oil.

Reasons

1. Sic attaches itself to the entire innards where oil goes. It also has an affinity to attach at high heat oil zones. The CVVT portion of the valve and cam trains has some of the higher oil temps in an engine. That probably explains his oil sensor crud.
2. Carbon is removed from the oil with carbon guard. So there is no build up possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update:
literally the most annoying job to do... i ended up putting the whole car back together and im getting quotes for $720 to get it cleaned out... i do not trust myself at all being that deep into my engine lol so i guess its time to save up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts