Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve seen across some threads that a lot of people use either 5w30 or 5w40 grade oil in their turbo genesis. I for myself currently run royal purple high mileage 5w30 in my BK1 and change the oil bout every 3000miles just to keep it clean, but I’ve seen some talk around here about the use of 5w40 is better for the turbos. My car currently has 125k miles on it and it’s kinda hard to find a high mileage 5w40 oil. For context I live in Southern Cali. So we don’t get much extreme temperatures here, and I for myself don’t drive to crazy I’m a pretty conservative driver as my bk1 is my daily .Do y’all recommend using oils catered to high mileage cars? And what do y’all use? 5w30 or 40? Should I make the switch to 5w40 even if it isn’t a “high mileage” oil?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
I used 0w40 M1 for years and 1000s of miles, then went to 5w30 M1 Truck and Suv. I found the 0w40 was a bit too much and kept the oil temp down under 200F for my driving style. The 5w30 will run at 200-215F.

But as far as protection and keeping things clean the M1 does a fantastic job and at 5k mile intervals. Fuel dilution is usually the issue with the 2LT.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
After research some of the issues that toyotas have been having with their 10,000 mile oil change engines, I would say change the oil every 3000~4000 miles.
The issues that the toyota engines have been having is oil consumption, due to excessive blow by...
This is because of increased piston ring wear, because the oil control rings being clogged by carbon/old oil.
plenty of youtube vids of tear downs showing the issue.

I know these cars aren't toyotas, it's something to keep in mind and wouldn't hurt to do.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,953 Posts
I use 0w/40 or 5w/40 and change every 4k miles. I have over 133k miles and the engine still runs like a top. The only things I have replaced are; the downpipe due to a blow-out of the flex joint and two idler pulleys on the serpentine circuit. That is it! This might be why I did not trade it when I bought my Veloster N.

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use 0w/40 or 5w/40 and change every 4k miles. I have over 133k miles and the engine still runs like a top. The only things I have replaced are; the downpipe due to a blow-out of the flex joint and two idler pulleys on the serpentine circuit. That is it! This might be why I did not trade it when I bought my Veloster N.
Is there a reason why many like to choose a 5w40 grade? Also does it make a big difference if I get oil that "high mileage oil"Its hard to find 5w40 high mileage. My bk1 has about 125k miles right now

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a reason why many like to choose a 5w40 grade? Also does it make a big difference if I get oil that "high mileage oil"Its hard to find 5w40 high mileage. My bk1 has about 125k miles right now
I also wanted to add that a lot of the 5w40 oils are listed as "euro" or European specs. Does that make any difference? Going across the thread Im thinking of switching to a 5w40 grade oil but im not sure which is the right brand I should go with

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
The latest oil spec is class GF6. That is what to look for.

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I’ve seen across some threads that a lot of people use either 5w30 or 5w40 grade oil in their turbo genesis. I for myself currently run royal purple high mileage 5w30 in my BK1 and change the oil bout every 3000miles just to keep it clean, but I’ve seen some talk around here about the use of 5w40 is better for the turbos. My car currently has 125k miles on it and it’s kinda hard to find a high mileage 5w40 oil. For context I live in Southern Cali. So we don’t get much extreme temperatures here, and I for myself don’t drive to crazy I’m a pretty conservative driver as my bk1 is my daily .Do y’all recommend using oils catered to high mileage cars? And what do y’all use? 5w30 or 40? Should I make the switch to 5w40 even if it isn’t a “high mileage” oil?
So from my readings through the website I’ve concluded that I will switch over to 5w40 oil in my next change! However I would like to know which brand to go with. I’ve seen a lot of people discuss their liking to “Rotella T6” motor oil but I look at the bottle and it states for Diesel engines? I do have the choice to get Mobil 1 as well. Other brands like motul and amsoil as well as liquid moly are a choice however it keeps throwing me off that they are all stated as “European” car oil. Does it make much of a difference? It’s kinda hard to choose and seeing which brand you guys on the thread go with will help me make a choice

·
Advenio Pariter
3,953 Posts
Honestly, I felt that my engine ran better. Purely subjective, but my idle was a bit smoother for one thing. I have over 133k miles and I do not use high mileage oil at all. I use the Castrol brand, but others are fine. I think it is called "Euro Blend" because of some of the manufacturer requirements that are met by this oil. I may try this in my Veloster N. The VN manual does allow it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts