Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my Genesis to a major chain to change the oil. After taking it back home, I realized it was definitely overfilled so I brought it back and they drained "less than half a litre" of oil, according to them. Since then, about a week and a half ago a knocking sound has persisted in the engine and it is getting louder. Took it to a mechanic who said there are engine problems that are likely due to overfilling the oil.
I have read on numerous posts that half a litre should not cause this kind of damage, so I am a little concerned. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of sound? My genesis has a turbo.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Overfilling the crankcase with less than half a litre, which is approx. 17 ounces will not cause damage to the bearings, to cause a knock. Bearing failure is caused by wear, not doing oil changes often enough and using the wrong oil. What is your mileage? What kind of oil do you use? Why on earth would you take it to a quick lube place, they use crap. You should have been using 5W30 or 5W40 full synthetic oil from day one, not the 5W20 the owners manual says. There was a TSB about using 5W30 or 5W40 (depending on temperature/climate), colder climates use 5W30, hotter climates use 5W40. Most likely you had sludge in the bearings and it loosened up with the new oil's detergents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a possibility they used the wrong oil, I will look into that too.
I was quite late on the oil change so they flushed it first. My mileage is about 95000, and I probably waited 6000 miles since the last oil change. I know this amount of over filling should not cause damage, but the sound started immediately after the oil change.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
The aftermarket oil filter can be a likely culprit as well. There is a bulletin about it, literally saying it can cause knocking sounds. Oil pressure is generally pretty high on hyundai engines and that's why according the H.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
You can play it safe and get another oil change to make sure the right oil in is there and use a Hyundai filter then see how it is. 95k miles is a decent amount already. Are you the original owner, did you keep up with oil changes? Honestly you should never go more than 5k miles per change with a turbo car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know of 3 people who have had problems with these quick lube places. 1st person had their engine seize up because the oil plug wasn't tightened up. 2nd person had no oil on their dipstick. 3rd person's engine was knocking. Took it to the dealer and found out that there was 2 litres overfilled. I don't change my own oil...but I always use an OEM Hyundai oil filter and pick up some high quality synthetic oil and have a mechanic change it.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
The aftermarket oil filter can be a likely culprit as well. There is a bulletin about it, literally saying it can cause knocking sounds. Oil pressure is generally pretty high on hyundai engines and that's why according the H.
Do you have a link to that?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,271 Posts
That's the say nothing TSB. It just says if it's knocking and doesn't have a Hyundai filter on it to put one on it and charge the customer. Doesn't say what they would do if it still knocks....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Id be suspicious of the oil filter since its a known cause, other than that by using a flush on a high mileage motor it might have cleaned out somthing enough to open up some tolerances somewhere, or it could just be coencidental.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I know theres another member on here with a BK1 with mileage simmilar to yours that developed a knock for no real reason, Hyundai waranteed and replaced his motor.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
Years ago when i was at hyundai training my instructor told us that the oil pressure is the reason. I can't link that

·
Registered
306 Posts
Motor oil flush does more harm than good. I've seen many cases where it dislodged sludge and the sludge ended up getting between the bearing, crank and rod causing excessive wear and eventually failure. And, the bearings on the Theta motor aren't the strongest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At my Hyundai dealership, you can take your car there and pay them to do the oil change. I brought my own oil and they only charged me $15 for the labor and Hyundai oil filter, which they say you should, use otherwise you can get weird noises. That might be why. And yeah anything non-synthetic for the turbo is probably bad, only 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic you should use.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
At my Hyundai dealership, you can take your car there and pay them to do the oil change. I brought my own oil and they only charged me $15 for the labor and Hyundai oil filter, which they say you should, use otherwise you can get weird noises. That might be why. And yeah anything non-synthetic for the turbo is probably bad, only 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic you should use.
I ran brad penn 20w50 for years which is a semi-synthetic. Every build will have different oil requirements. On my stock engine, 0w40 was my choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ran brad penn 20w50 for years which is a semi-synthetic. Every build will have different oil requirements. On my stock engine, 0w40 was my choice.
Sorry my mistake. I didn't mean to say anything that isn't 5W-30 or 40 is bad. You probably know much more than me with 55k posts.

From what I've read, it should be better running synthetic in a turbo engine than non synthetic because the synthetic will withstand the high temps better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry my mistake. I didn't mean to say anything that isn't 5W-30 or 40 is bad. You probably know much more than me with 55k posts.

From what I've read, it should be better running synthetic in a turbo engine than non synthetic because the synthetic will withstand the high temps better.
You are 100% correct regarding running a synthetic oil. Definitely do it :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts