Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I just got a purchase order on a 2013 Genesis coupe 2.0T premium or base, not sure which one. and the engine looks a little off to me. Do you guys see anything different? I see a few pipes with upgrades and stuff but do you think it's all cool?

https://ibb.co/iQNVMv

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track White Pearl
3,107 Posts
Aftermarket intake, intake piping and BOV, I assume that also means aftermarket intercooler. I also see modified hoses which could mean catch cans are in there too, and because of the heat shielding I wouldn't be surprised if it has an aftermarket turbo too.

What worries me is the yellow writing on the front of the motor which looks like how a parts company would tag a used motor, that would tell me a used motor got dropped into this car at some point which if I didn't know the history of the car, how it was tuned, why it needed a new motor, where that motor came from, etc, etc, would scare me away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats what it seemed like to me, but i checked out the carfax and everything seems good. Does anyone know what kind of power boost this engine may have? cause i know stock has 274, but i would like to know how much this approximately has within +-10 hp. Thanks again!!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was also 2 extra things inside the car hooked up to the engine. One was the ratio of gas to air i believ, it stayed around 14.4-14.8 during the test drive, and the other had 2 arrows and a few buttons and had a readout of boost. Any idea what that is? sorry im a noob.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Air fuel ratio and a boost guage, in a seriously tuned car those are important otherwise they just look cool, at the very least you'll know if the car is running lean and how much boost it has.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Very simply put it measures the amount of boost the turbo is making which can be helpful to watch if you know what it should be making, too little boost there could be a leak, too much and it could damage the engine.

I highly recommend you read this thread if you're buying a modified car and don't know this stuff: http://www.gencoupe.com/new-member-...sis-coupe-newbie-guide-modding-must-read.html

Then, if you have more beginner questions ask here: http://www.gencoupe.com/new-member-section/310649-ask-geek-no-troll-zone.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you can verify the motor is good and there's no problems with the car I would get it, definitely saves you some money doing all the upgrades yourself lol

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
822 Posts
Anything goes with a modded car. Owner could have sold it because there were problems. Test drive it to hell and listen for any sounds or anything unusual.

·
Registered
998 Posts
1) That looks like a different motor than what came with the car because of the writing
2) That looks like the BTR Stage 3 turbo kit. I say this because of the MXP exhaust manifold, and the silicone couplers off the turbo are the exact same bends as what come with the Stage 3 kit. If this is a manual it has a GT3076 or GTX3076 and it should be around 370whp on 22psi. If this is an auto is has a GT3071.
3) It has a HKS SSQV blow off valve and aftermarket intercooler piping, likely an aftermarket intercooler but no way to know without seeing it.
4) It is missing the engine cover.
5) It should not stay at 14.4-14.8 when you are under full boost. If it does, that is way too lean. You're probably looking more for anything from 10-12 depending on if it was custom tuned or a can tune. A BTR canned tune would have you in the 10s for AFR.
6) There is a hose coming off the intake manifold from a Tee to something over by the ECU that I can't identify.

Look at my engine, it has a BTR Stage 3 kit. Does the manifold and couplers off the turbo look similar? The plate that says MXP might have fallen off your or been wrapped over.

Just based on how dirty the engine is, the fact that the hood liner is destroyed, and all of the mods, I'm going to say this thing was probably beaten on pretty hard. Your call on taking some one else's project. If you already bought it, the first things you need to do are clean it up, check for leaks, do a compression check, change fluids, find out what the boost level is, and start logging all of the mods you find so you can better understand what is going on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply! I actually haven't bought the car yet so I can't compare the engine in more detail to yours. We're gonna have it inspected by a third party mechanic. If the mechanic says the engine is all good, then we're gonna buy it. The Carfax is all clean and the vehicle history seems good, but we're just hoping nothing has happened and went unreported.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Also, the current motor has 20k miles on it. There's no salvage or accident reported, and the car is priced at $16,888. Does that seem right? The seller said we can have it inspected on or off the lot by a third party by all means, with no issues. Do you think it's safe to but?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,445 Posts
If you want you can compare the engine serial number to the VIN somehow. I'd day the motor has been replaced. With all the mods probably blew the first one up. Maybe it's good now but who knows?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I took a look at the engine and it seems to have taken a hit on the front right side that was covered up with some paint and replaced parts. So we decided to say forget this dealer. They refused to do a smog and also it seems they switched the VIN number with another vehicle and tampered with the odometer. The vin this car has is for a white 3.8 manual apparently.
Anyways, I'm visiting a dealership tomorrow thats much more legit and actually has 3 Gen Coupes in stock. One is 2012 2.0T, one 2012 3.8 gran touring, and the final one, a 2013 2.0T. All completely stock besides some minor aesthetic looks. What do you guys think I should go with. I want to mod the car over time but I don't wanna spend too much cash. I'm thinking of going with the 2013 2.0T even though the 3.8 is faster. What do you guys think??

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,445 Posts
The earlier 2L has plenty of mods to apply but the later one already has the HP boost. I get 30+ mpg with my stage 2.75 BR tuned 2L.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The earlier 2L has plenty of mods to apply but the later one already has the HP boost. I get 30+ mpg with my stage 2.75 BR tuned 2L.
gotcha, and actually this morning I found a 3.8 r-spec 2015 for 12k. its a theft recovery but theres no salvage and all parts were replaced with factory parts by hyundai. think its a good buy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2014 2.0t and I absolutely love it! Only complaint is I don't have the turbo upgrade options like the bk1 does

1 - 20 of 20 Posts