Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the engine recently blew in my 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 track at 81k. It was well maintained oil changes done on time and out of nowhere it started knocking well my extended warranty wasn't in place long enough and the first shop quoted me 15k. I was told to take it to Hyundai that they would cover it but the advisor told me since I'm second owner they wouldn't do anything for me and I still owe 8k on it. Well Hyundai quoted me 21k which I'm not going to pay that much for a engine thats going to possibly do the same I was wondering has anyone done a VQ V6 engine NISMO-tuned 370z motor swap I was looking the price to pick one up with a standard transmission and ECU is like 5k and built at almost 500hp but I'm not finding anything on someone else going this route but the engines are bullet proof and parts are fairly cheap. Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
168 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate news. Those quotes are excessive for that Lambda engine. There are multiple builds with LS swaps and even some JZ but anything else is a very custom job. They even sell LS swap kits so that might be the safest route and you would have a 2013 Genesis V8.

You can buy the engine for around 6-7k then have a shop install it. You can find remanned engines for that price and with warranty and have a shop with warranty install it too for no more than 3k.
And what part failed? The valves burnt or bent? The rods took a 💩? Or something else ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate news. Those quotes are excessive for that Lambda engine. There are multiple builds with LS swaps and even some JZ but anything else is a very custom job. They even sell LS swap kits so that might be the safest route and you would have a 2013 Genesis V8.

You can buy the engine for around 6-7k then have a shop install it. You can find remanned engines for that price and with warranty and have a shop with warranty install it too for no more than 3k.
And what part failed? The valves burnt or bent? The rods took a 💩? Or something else ?
So im not even sure I got out of work started the car it made a weird noise and it went away right away 😳 then I drove to a gas station when I came out to start it the damn thing knocked the whole way home I was pretty upset when I took it to Hyundai they tried to charge me $200 for a diagnostics test but he started off with they didn't take anything apart as it wasnt cost efficient and would take to much time it was the worst experience I've ever had the first shop got it started again its knocking pretty bad now I think I am going to do most of the work myself and I've talked about doing a LS swap since I drove the car off the lot. So when I get it all mapped out then I will put the rest for sale. I don't get it though I really take care of my car fully synthetic I don't beat on my car, I checked the the fluids they were perfect and all maintenance has been done on time. I have no performance mods nothing to add hp I wanted to wait till I had the title in hand.Here is all that I've done to it
Megan transmission mount,
Drilled and slotted rotors (ceramic pads)
Engine leash
Throttle controller
The rest is all appearance rims interior glow and 3000 watt system so my car is ready it just really sucks because I'm still making payments but it is what it I I'm going to be one broke guy till its finished but it's going to be EPIC I just need to find the masterbook so I get it all

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
168 Posts
Mhm. It's the luck of the draw sometimes w this car. All I know is that both engines I have blown up the only mod I had on both is that freaking throttle body controller. I also read something about having to adjust valve clearance at 60k miles on the lambda engines but not sure if it applies to the Gen Coupe too.
What type of oil were you using and how far is your commute?
If you are able to keep the old engine and open it up to see where is the catastrophic damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mhm. It's the luck of the draw sometimes w this car. All I know is that both engines I have blown up the only mod I had on both is that freaking throttle body controller. I also read something about having to adjust valve clearance at 60k miles on the lambda engines but not sure if it applies to the Gen Coupe too.
What type of oil were you using and how far is your commute?
If you are able to keep the old engine and open it up to see where is the catastrophic damage.
I use mobile one fully synthetic 5w-30 and oem filter and I still have the engine I will most likely sell the transmission with the clutch and flywheel because when I bought the car it had 45k on it about 3 months later I had to replace the clutch my commute is like 15 miles there and 15 miles back. The guy who owned the car before me taught his grandson how to drive a standard I couldn't believe it when the clutch went out my mechanic who I have been going to for 15 years said someone who owned the car before you sucked at driving lol I've only owned a manual transmission my whole life so he knew it wasn't because of me. Anyways as soon as I find the new engine that is going into my Genesis then I will start the tear down of the 3.8 POS that is in there to see exactly what happened. I have never seen an engine go out like that I almost feel like I was sabotaged. In December of 2021 this lady rear-ended me when she got out of her car she said "I bet this doesn't happen to you everyday" I told her that's right because I know how to drive. I told her I have been driving since I was 14 & 8 months and I've never been in an accident that I've caused she told me she was a insurance agent for Geico. Well I had Car Crafters do the repairs and when I went to pick up my car my tank was empty and I started thinking about it and realized I had filled up the night before the accident so when I left I had to go straight to the gas station. I thought about it driving to the gas station and came to the conclusion that maybe someone at Car Crafters had been joy riding my car I started to fill it up and decided to do a complete walk around and noticed all 4 rims were curbed and the front drivers side was curbed so bad a chunk was missing and my tire was cut up. I had my rims for about a year and a half and had no curbs on any of them I finished filling up and flew back to car crafters the guy there was named LT he was getting ready to leave and I blocked him in and told him I wanted new rims and tires ordered that they messed them up he tried to put it on the tow truck guy that's when I showed him I had the video of the tow truck guy loading my car and followed him all the way to Car Crafters and the video of the tow truck guy unloading my car I then zoomed in and showed him reach rim that there wasn't a scuff on any of them. He then started stuttering and looked pale. He then ordered my new rims and tires. I got a call 3 weeks later saying that they were in to bring my car so they could put the new ones on for me. I stopped to get my kid from school and we were on our way there when my phone rang. When I went to grab the phone it slipped between my seat and the center console I pulled over and came to a stop that's when my car died I could not get it started again after. I called car crafters to talk to LT and they said he was fired and no longer worked there so I talked to someone else and told them I couldn't come get the rims and tires my car was on the way to Hyundai it was dead and asked them to hold on to them. So I think that her being an insurance agent called around to find where my car was and they sabotaged it. I don't have a way to prove it but was hoping that they would fix the engine and tell me what had happened but was denied at every angle I took. I had a friend when I was really young that someone poured sugar in his gas tank and it wasn't until a few weeks later that his motor seized up. So I filled my tank up and if they did that the sugar would have moved and taken longer to go through my car and I'm not sure if Car Crafters knew about it and that's why they fired LT but I'm in a weird spot because I filled up my tank a day before the engine blew so it would have been the first time since the day I got it and filled it up since getting it back from Car Crafters my buddies car was a Brand New Mercury Tracer and that's kinda how his car went. His warranty covered his. Well my warranty is over and I didn't get so lucky but I think that she had pull being a agent that either Car Crafters did it or she went over there and did it. I don't exactly know to find out if they did sabotage it because if I did they would be replacing my engine. Sorry for the novel bro I had to explain all of it for you to understand though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts