Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems to be going around that the Equus front and rear calipers are an upgrade for the base model coupes. THe brembos from the factory are unnaturally overpriced, despite my attempts to sell them at a low cost to you, they are still pretty high. The Equus calipers are almost half the price of the brembos, and feature the same 4 piston setup as the brembos, albeit with they arent red, nor do they have brembo vinyled on them.

Equus weight
4449-4555 lbs (curb)
Braking, 60-0 mph 122 ft (Motortrend review)

Coupe weight
Braking, 60-0 mph 111 ft
It seems like this calipers are definitely a viable upgrade for the coupe, with equal performance to the brembo calipers.

I did measure the distance between the bolt holes and they are the same, as well as size of the hole as well

The brembo caliper is slightly larger, But, for mounting purposes, they look to be the same.

as far as the brake line, the mounting points are slightly different

but it seems they should work as well.

Im going to post up a brake disc comparison, as I have a equus disc in stock.

If anyone would local would like to guinea pig this, Id be happy to offer a special discount past what I would normally offer.

Im open to any questions or any insight you guys have into this. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
These are my next calipers and my next mod. Just need cash now.
I prefer the black caliper look anyways, and they'll look great with my blue SS brakelines.

By the looks of it though I seriously doubt these will fit stock 18's.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The picture of the Top down view looks like the black caliper (the Equus) is larger than the red caliper (Brembo).
Does that mean the Equus has better clamping power?
And according to your specs, the Equus has braking power for a vehicle that's 1000lbs more than the GC?
Would I be foolish to deduce that the Equus calipers are better than the Brembos?

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
I would bet the a GC equipped with Equus calipers would have at least the same stopping power as the Brembos, but not because the caliper is larger, that's probably because of the added heat generated for stopping the extra 1000lbs.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
The thing I would check is the actual master Cylinder for both systems...If the Equus caliper has larger piston chambers, it could require a higher fluid flow to operate properly. This could result in longer travel in the brake pedal, for example.

Also I don't know if the brake Bias from the GC to the Equus is the same. Fitting the parts on the car can be the easy part, but you have to make sure everything after the calipers also works properly.

Not saying this is the case, but It occurred to me that this could be an issue if both systems are that much different.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Do equus rotors fit the GC?

And is there better aftermarket brake pads that fit? ie, sure these seem to brake great, but will the fade faster than a track brake? It is for a luxery car, my guess is dust and noise are low on it, but it might fade quicker and if they don't make track pads that fit.....

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much do the calipers weigh?
Equus caliper weighs 15.1
Brembo 11.6

This is also weight w/ pads

These are my next calipers and my next mod. Just need cash now.
I prefer the black caliper look anyways, and they'll look great with my blue SS brakelines.

By the looks of it though I seriously doubt these will fit stock 18's.
They are definitely wider than the brembos. Lets cross our fingers theyll fit the 18s lol

The picture of the Top down view looks like the black caliper (the Equus) is larger than the red caliper (Brembo).
Does that mean the Equus has better clamping power?
And according to your specs, the Equus has braking power for a vehicle that's 1000lbs more than the GC?
Would I be foolish to deduce that the Equus calipers are better than the Brembos?
Id say they are about equal. Most monoblocks are similar in performance, Alot of it comes down to brake fluid, pad material, rotor material, and the clamping force of the pistons

I would bet the a GC equipped with Equus calipers would have at least the same stopping power as the Brembos, but not because the caliper is larger, that's probably because of the added heat generated for stopping the extra 1000lbs.
how much are we talking about here?
List price on the calipers is 593.39 each :D So yes, much much cheaper, especially with the pricing Ill give you guys.

The thing I would check is the actual master Cylinder for both systems...If the Equus caliper has larger piston chambers, it could require a higher fluid flow to operate properly. This could result in longer travel in the brake pedal, for example.

Also I don't know if the brake Bias from the GC to the Equus is the same. Fitting the parts on the car can be the easy part, but you have to make sure everything after the calipers also works properly.

Not saying this is the case, but It occurred to me that this could be an issue if both systems are that much different.
Excellent point. From my understanding on brake system upgrades is that just because you add 8 piston calipers to your car civic, its useless unless you have an upgraded MC to match.

The coupe master cylinder is the same between both the base and track models

Judging by the part numbers for the master cylinder, the Gensedan and Equus share master cylinders. The coupe has a different part number.

Do equus rotors fit the GC?

And is there better aftermarket brake pads that fit? ie, sure these seem to brake great, but will the fade faster than a track brake? It is for a luxery car, my guess is dust and noise are low on it, but it might fade quicker and if they don't make track pads that fit.....
The canadian member on here claimed it was a direct swap. Ill post up a rotor comparison later this afternoon
However I agree, the pads most likely are for comfort, they will definitely stop, as shown with the specs, but fade is the big question. Compared to the brembo pads on my shelf, they are definitely different every so slightly, but I reckon most monoblock caliper pads share similar shapes and design.

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
I like this option 10 times better than trying to get STI Brembo calipers to fit the front and Evo Brembo calipers to fit the rear

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Id say they are about equal. Most monoblocks are similar in performance, Alot of it comes down to brake fluid, pad material, rotor material, and the clamping force of the pistons
From your pictures Nick, the Equss setup looks to be made of 3 pieces, not a monoblock design like the GC's...The big hex bolts are a dead giveaway..:D

Thought I'd point that out.

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooops my bad. I see what you mean. And youre definitely correct.

thanks

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Ooops my bad. I see what you mean. And youre definitely correct.

thanks
And it's 4 pieces not 3 like I mentioned, basic math fail....2+2=3...FFS..:rofl:

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
You say the MC part number is different between the Gen Sedan and the Gen Coupe, does it give any spec's? The pistons on the Equus look quite a bit larger than those in the Brembo, that may be the reason. Still, the Equus look like even they're a multi-piece design, they are cast iron and will actually be slightly stiffer than the aluminum Brembo. I'll catch some flack for saying that, but I speak from experience. Good find!

·
Vancouver 뽀이!!
488 Posts
THIS WORKS BETTER THEN BREMBO CALIPER I GOT THE ANSWER FROM KOREA TUNING SHOP AND THEY DID LOTS OF THEM.

ALL YOU NEED IS 3mm SPACER.

I WROTE DOWN SOME STUFF ON BRITISH COLUMBIA YOU CAN FIND IT OUT.

ALSO IM TRYING TO OREDER THIS FROM KOREA SO ITS MUCH CHEAPER THEN NORTH AMERICA BUT SHIPPING WILL BE.... HELL.

OR THIS HYUNDAI PARTS GUY CAN MATCH THE PRICE FROM KOREA THAT WILL BE AWESOME. LOL

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think slightly under a year.

Unless the part goes backorder Ill have the parts to me faster than anyone overseas. Sure youre paying less for the caliper, but youre dealing with a guy with no tangible connections online, a language barrier, and long shipping times along with high shipping prices.

Im going to try to keep this as affordable as possible for you guys (provided of course it works)

1 - 20 of 334 Posts