Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you were going to choose...

i have front mount, tbe and an intake..

now i am looking to do a turbo upgrade, i am having a hard time choosing between upgrades..

evo x kit

or

maperformance 20g stock turbo upgrade w/ ported stock manifold ( for now, upgrade to synapse or lovefab later)

i am looking for about 320rwhp

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I'd say EVO X because then when you have purchased your manifold, you can go with bigger better turbos.

I suppose you could go with an ATP GT turbo with the stock manifold, but with a twin scroll is the way to go with a little 2.0L engine if you want to start making big power

·
Fast Member!
2,273 Posts
your going to need something to tune it!

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Evo

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
whenever Crawford Performance gets done with my car and it's Evo X kit you'll have some canned PowerAXEL tunes to work with at least.

not sure when that will BE... LoL

·
Premium Member
15,363 Posts
evox

It's twin scroll (or what ever you want to call it).
And you can rebuild it with a 20g wheel later.

Stock manifold doesn't do much :p.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i would say go with either the evo x or evo 9 kits there are so many options to go with for the evo x they have a 35R in the stock frame x turbo, along with a few others even with the evo 9 you have the FP set ups and all those setups can lead to some good power

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
I say get a v8 and call it a day. =]

But if it was me. Evo X kit all the way or go home.

·
old guy
767 Posts
I just installed a td05- 20 , and I'm lovin it! I also wired in an AEM f/ic to tune with. It is not plug and play like a cmd, BUT it does allow for timing adjustments. It only took me 2 hrs to install it, and I was going slow and careful. I went with this turbo, cause I want it to look reasonably stock under the hood. This turbo pulls HARD from 3200 past 7k holding 25psi. I still have some fine tuning to do and then I'll put it on a dyno and post up some numbers. BTW mine came from turbochargers.com in texas. I have the prototype, but they have more on the way. They take every one apart to inspect and rebalance. Good folks over there. I've bought several turbos from them over the years, and never had an issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just installed a td05- 20 , and I'm lovin it! I also wired in an AEM f/ic to tune with. It is not plug and play like a cmd, BUT it does allow for timing adjustments. It only took me 2 hrs to install it, and I was going slow and careful. I went with this turbo, cause I want it to look reasonably stock under the hood. This turbo pulls HARD from 3200 past 7k holding 25psi. I still have some fine tuning to do and then I'll put it on a dyno and post up some numbers. BTW mine came from turbochargers.com in texas. I have the prototype, but they have more on the way. They take every one apart to inspect and rebalance. Good folks over there. I've bought several turbos from them over the years, and never had an issue.
did you install it on the stock manifold or did you do the evo swap?

·
Registered
302 Posts
wow 25psi i would like to see what your numbers are on that tdo5-20

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
boomslang makes a PNP harness for the 2.0t genesis coupe they created one for the forte koup (that uses the same ecu as ours) so at the moment .. best plug n play solution even if you don't have control over boost ..

·
Premium Member
15,363 Posts
You can achieve that on a td04l-19t swap. 25psi @about 3k RPM.
Its not advised though, 25psi would be outside its efficiency range.

I still say get the EVO X.
1. spool quicker
2. only 2 parts needed to upgrade to 20G later on.
3. dump the log manifold

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
TDO5
because it doesn't require a manifold...so its cheaper
+1....plus if you go TD06-20G, you can produce a fair amount more power than the EVO can & save a grand on not having to purchase a tubular mani to boot.

You can achieve that on a td04l-19t swap. 25psi @about 3k RPM.
Its not advised though, 25psi would be outside its efficiency range.

I still say get the EVO X.
1. spool quicker
2. only 2 parts needed to upgrade to 20G later on.
3. dump the log manifold
the TD04-19t is only good for about 320whp with all bolt-ons & you can get almost 100whp more out of the TD06-20G.

·
Premium Member
15,363 Posts
+1....plus if you go TD06-20G, you can produce a fair amount more power than the EVO can & save a grand on not having to purchase a tubular mani to boot.

the TD04-19t is only good for about 320whp with all bolt-ons & you can get almost 100whp more out of the TD06-20G.
td06?
All this time I thought we where talking about the td05 lol.
My bad.

I did state that 25 psi on a 19t would be outside of it's efficiency range thought.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
The standard TD05-20g may be cheaper up front but you're going to be giving up some spool time compared to the twin scroll td05's on the evos, for the same whp. No way around it. Evo turbo is going to be the better route if budget allows.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts