Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a pipe installed from my new axle back muffler as far forward as I can to delete the resonator and second cat without deleting the primary cat. I'm wondering what that bulging piece is with the weird mesh around it between the turbo and the second cat. Is it the primary cat or something after that? and can I delete it without messing with the ecu? I can't jack up the car to really see so help on this would be nice.

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
Directly off the turbo is your primary cat. Usually most cats are right off the cylinder head due to they actually have to run pretty hot to work properly. So yeah to answer your original question after the primary catalytic converter you can do all new piping and you won't throw a cel. It will still be a bottleneck though in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I want to get a pipe installed from my new axle back muffler as far forward as I can to delete the resonator and second cat without deleting the primary cat. I'm wondering what that bulging piece is with the weird mesh around it between the turbo and the second cat. Is it the primary cat or something after that? and can I delete it without messing with the ecu? I can't jack up the car to really see so help on this would be nice.
The primary cat is that big bulging canister sitting right after the turbo with two o2 sensors coming out of it.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still a bit confused. Ok so I snapped a pic from under the hood to clarify. That bulge canister with the mesh around it doesn't have any sensors going to it that I can see so the primary cat must be above it and if so what is it?

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
Oh lol that's a flex pipe. Haha. Google exhaust flex pipe and look at the wiki. Just is used to allow the down pipe to have some movement when the engine torques and moves.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have googled it if I knew what the hell it was lol. Ok cool thank you very much! So I think I will just tell the shop to put on a new pipe from the flex pipe on. No point in removing it I guess since it serves a purpose.

·
Robot Over-Lord of Pangea
2,174 Posts
I need a stiffer or bigger flex pipe. I had a cat back with resonator removed and it was good, but since removing the 2nd cat I have a vicious rattle at between 2000-23000 with any throttle at all. My fabricator said he can do something with it when we have time. I know of at least two otheres that have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You should be able to get a straight piece of pipe to go from the secondary cat location to your muffler, although this won't have a significant effect on flow as your primary cat is still going to bottleneck the entire system, and will have smaller inside diameter piping.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should be able to get a straight piece of pipe to go from the secondary cat location to your muffler, although this won't have a significant effect on flow as your primary cat is still going to bottleneck the entire system, and will have smaller inside diameter piping.
Ah ok. So no real gains huh. I have second cat delete right now with an axle back exhaust. I want it a bit louder so I want to delete the resonator too. I figured I might as well just do the whole pipe to make it louder and ad a few hp but if it doesn't than maybe I'll just have the shop just delete the resonator and save a few bucks. I did notice that there is a crimp in the mid pipe. Is this worth getting rid of?

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would love to but I would have to save for a long time lol. My budget for extras on this car is minimal unfortunately. I would be happy with just a nice sound. Am I on the right track by wanting to delete the res too or would that bee too raspy? Sh*t for the cost of chop chop weld weld I have nothing to loose lol.

·
derp.
481 Posts
ohh i thought you had a cat back instead of an axleback :/.. Yea you will definitely hear a sound difference taking off the resonator and 2nd cat, i ran that for a while..custom is the way to go, all my piping is custom from the turbo to my injen catback and i love it..so chop chop away !

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool! I wish I could find a vid of a cat back with no res and second cat delete. I wan't to hear if it's raspy. Did you like the sound? while you had what I wan't to do?

·
derp.
481 Posts
yea definitely. it was not raspy or anoying and had a nice low growl at low rpms. Look up videos in youtube of catback exhausts with tests pipes, that is essentially what you would have when you take off the resonator and second cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts