Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
n00b
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any companies make piping from the secondary catalytic converter to the muffler? I just installed my downpipe and testpipe from Depo and BOY, that crimp after the cat looks nasty! I've searched most vendors that I know websites and nothing. There is a shop in town that will make a 3" pipe for me, but that's some cash. I assume a catback exhaust would just replace that as well, right?

Anyways, thanks for looking.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
A cat-back exhaust will replace everything after the testpipe. Megan racing used to make/sale just that mid-pipe. You might be able to find a used one if you hunt around.

·
n00b
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'll check that out. I think it's best to just go catback to be honest. I was thinking catback meant from O2 back but wasn't sure. Looks like O2 first and catback last!

·
Registered
89 Posts
so iv'e actually watched an entire show where they took a v8 and and sledge hammer and crimped the headers more and more at a time while on a dyno. Everyone thinks this will actually kill HP and Torque and to their surprise it actually gave them about 5 more Hp as they began to really smash the headers in. I can find it if anyone is really in disbelief.

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
I refer catback as basically from your downpipe | Beyond. Anything after the DP.

A full Turboback exhaust is the word you were looking for. Essentially a turboback exhaust is a straight pipe from the turbo hotside outlet to your exhaust tip.

Creating a custom catback exhaust is probably a lot cheaper than purchasing a jacked up MSRP one from one of the vendors here or anywhere. A custom catback would just be a pipe with a flange welded. Be warned its gonna be loud as ****,

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
so iv'e actually watched an entire show where they took a v8 and and sledge hammer and crimped the headers more and more at a time while on a dyno. Everyone thinks this will actually kill HP and Torque and to their surprise it actually gave them about 5 more Hp as they began to really smash the headers in. I can find it if anyone is really in disbelief.
Be mindful of the fact that it was an NA engine I believe. I saw the same video a couple months back.

To the OP:

Our exhaust is set up like this:

Exhaust Manifold > Primary Cat > Downpipe > Second Cat (Test Pipe) > Mid-Pipe > Muffler.

Turbo back is piping from the exhaust manifold back.

Catback is from the second cat back.

Hope that helps.

·
n00b
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have DP and TP, changing out the O2 housing next followed by midpipe and muffler last. I'll most likely get the local shop to build my midpipe and muffler.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry I'm late. But I'm new to the work of muffler shops. Could they, from my test pipe and back, do a straight pipe but have a custom muffler? Like have them weld one in?

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
Sorry I'm late. But I'm new to the work of muffler shops. Could they, from my test pipe and back, do a straight pipe but have a custom muffler? Like have them weld one in?
Yes

·
Registered
203 Posts
jacking thread but I have a cat-back right now and I want to install a TP/DP.

does it throw any CEL for removing the 2nd cat or do you need to get a tune?

·
n00b
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jacking thread but I have a cat-back right now and I want to install a TP/DP.

does it throw any CEL for removing the 2nd cat or do you need to get a tune?

No CEL for removing 2nd cat, no tune required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts