Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Gen coupe and white smoke comes out of the exhaust when I’m reversing up a hill. It doesn’t smoke any other time and I checked the oil cap and it wasn’t milky. It also used to spew out water and soot but that went away.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Is this with the engine fully warmed up? I might do that in a cold or damp climate but generally thick white smoke is coolant entering the combustion chamber, usually a leaking head gasket or cracked head. I have no idea why this would only occur in reverse up a hill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was fully warmed up and sometimes it also happens when in reverse and not up a hill. This never happens when the car is going forward or parked. Wouldn’t a head gasket or cracked head happen all the time?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is this with the engine fully warmed up? I might do that in a cold or damp climate but generally thick white smoke is coolant entering the combustion chamber, usually a leaking head gasket or cracked head. I have no idea why this would only occur in reverse up a hill.
maybe you are backing up through the smoke & notice it more than if you were driving w smoke blowing or dispersing out the back ??? never heard of this.

·
Registered
86 Posts
this might be the dumbest suggestion yet, but what if you got 2 squirt bottles 1 engine oil, another anti freeze mix. Then squirt some of each in the intake see what kind of smoke each produces.If it were mine, i'd do a compression ck & examine the spark plug. oily plug, typically can be rings, valve guides or seals or steam cleaned looking from coolant from head gasket or cracked head etc. I am not familiar with what type of problems these engines more commonly have , but i bet someone on this site knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts