Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Borla S-Type CBE installed on my 2013 3.8 Track and I’ve been looking for anyone who has a sound clip of this same catback paired up with either ARK or Depo Test Pipes. Having the Borla itself is a pretty rare set up as it is, but finding someone who has a secondary cat delete paired with this seems impossible. Haven’t found any videos on YouTube, but if any of you have any sound clips of this set up please upload them so I can use them for reference to help me decide whether or not I should get the test pipes. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking for the same video. I got some ark test pipes already since they were only like 150 right now. I haven't got an exhaust yet but I was going between the Borla and the Solo Performance CBE's. I really want to know what the borla sounds like without cats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both are great exhaust systems for our 3.8 Gens, I was in the same boat as you before I ended up deciding on the Borla. Both sound pretty similar on video in my opinion, but I’ve never heard them side by side in person. The reason I went with Borla over Solo was because of Borla’s million mile warranty, Borla has an X-pipe rather than Solo’s H-pipe, they’re less common on Gens, and of course Borla is such a reputable brand, I figured you can’t go wrong with them. Before making your mind up on which one you want, keep in mind that Borla is the only CBE for our cars that I’m aware of that uses a 2.25 in main piping diameter as opposed to 2.5. So same width as the OEM downpipes, but the secondary cats where the test pipes would go are 2.5 in wide. From my research of calling Borla, Ark, Blood Type Racing, and some local exhaust shops, the test pipes will fit even though they’re a quarter inch bigger, but with the Borla not having resonators and a smaller piping diameter, I don’t know what effect this will have on raspiness and power/tq...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a set of new in box Depo test pipes I’d work out a deal on, I got an h pipe with a used ARK exhaust so I never even installed test pipes

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering if anyone has done this yet? Really curious to hear what it sounds like, cause I’m starting to want a little more growl out of my catback. If anyone has a sound clip or has this set up and can record one please let me know. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone paired their Borla exhaust with Depo high flow cats, Magnaflow’s cats, an H-pipe, test pipes, or resonated test pipes? I know some time has passed since I made this post, so I just want to see if anyone’s tried experimenting with different sets ups. Really curious in trying out either one of these options, so if I do I’ll make sure to post a sound clip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't know if you still need this, but I have the Borla exhaust on my 2016 3.8, and I have a set of Depo Racing test pipes I'll be throwing on soon... I can upload a video if you'd like when I do, but it will be done at the same time I install my turbo kit, so it probably will sound different than an NA setup.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man, I forgot to ask, if you do end up installing them before the turbo, could you make sure to film some clips driving around? Really I’m just trying to figure out whether this set up will make the car sound too raspy or not. And I noticed that you have the 8speed as well, so if you could put it in Sport and Manual mode and maybe get some downshifts, that would be the cherry on top. Thanks in advance by the way, and best of luck on your build!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont know if you still need this but I have the Borla catback installed now.. waiting on ISR test pipes to come in hopefully next weekend. So once I’m finished I can always upload a vid on how it sounds.. 2.5” pipes so let’s see how she sounds

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah man, that’d be great! Whenever it’s done could you post a link to the video here please?

Also, I thought ISR’s test pipes were 3in diameter. Not entirely sure, but let us know how they fit. If they’re 2.5, I’ve asked around and it seems like they should fit, but if they’re 3, that might be too big, especially for an N/A 3.8.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure, I don’t see the option to do it from mobile, maybe through a computer? Or it’d probably be easier to post it somewhere like YouTube and then paste the link here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you need to have a minimum of 5 posts here on the forum in order to post a link. Not sure if the same goes for trying to upload a video directly to this thread(not sure if that’s even possible). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got videos on it it’s been installed couple months now I just couldn’t ever get a vid posted on here idk how to.. but the set up isn’t bad I got more pops but also got some rasp at 3k-6k rpms. I’m deployed now so I haven’t been able to do much w the geni. But when I get back I plan on getting headers for it and placing the secondary cats back on and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on ordering the borla last night, ill just be getting an sfr custom tune done with my K&N SRI/CAI and the exhaust hopefully within a week. I decided i cant really shell out another 430 some bucks for downpipes and test pipes, so down the road ill be looking at something to fit with the borla

1 - 18 of 18 Posts