Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to this forum. I have a 2010 3.8 stock. Every since it got cold (below 0) my car has been having a lot of trouble starting. I have changed oil, added fuel system cleaners and engine cleaner in case some of my valves were sticking . Does anyone else have this problem? It might be timing belt or tensioner but I am not sure. Any help would be great. Here is a link to the vid of my hard cold starts:

https://youtu.be/B-iUa8vZn9g

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe start by chceking compression and veryfi your coils?
If your timing chain is due just tear it apart and you will see if there are issues.

But i have to admit that sound when you touch the accelerator relay sounds bad like valve / piston collision. for example my thinking process stretched chain + lack of oil pressure in cvt assembly and there is enough offset to collide valve with piston.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had the car brought to one of my reliable mechanics and he checked the timing belt& chain & tensioners and he said they looked good. He plugged it into his computer and no codes came up.. I’m scared to start her up in the morning or after work :’(

Maybe start by chceking compression and veryfi your coils?
If your timing chain is due just tear it apart and you will see if there are issues.

But i have to admit that sound when you touch the accelerator relay sounds bad like valve / piston collision. for example my thinking process stretched chain + lack of oil pressure in cvt assembly and there is enough offset to collide valve with piston.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you shut it off and then immediately restart it does the noise go away? I ask because my 14 3.8 did something similar two different times in hot weather and shutting it down and rèstarting the noise immediately stopped and everything was normal. It hasn't done this in several years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
kind of got me thinking, really make sure you have NO crap on, and well working crank shaft position sensor !
Get a volt meter and oscilloscope and check that sensor as it may cause similar issues.

And i mean *Really* check it not just look at it, i.e. even the distance between sensor and pickup on flywheel MAKES a difference.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
It could be the variable valve system not getting enough hydraulic pressure, ie oil.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It could be the variable valve system not getting enough hydraulic pressure, ie oil.
That to, i mean the sound change suggests that. idk does 3.8 have any 1 way valve that would hold oil in upper parts of the motor ?

In BMW e46 that i also own common issue is a chcek valve failure that is placed in one of motor support hmm columns or how you call it. if that fails (it does on mine) it always has ticking sound for first 5 seconds of start until pressure gets to the hydraulic valve adjusters (sorry not sure how to name this in English)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I’m new to this forum. I have a 2010 3.8 stock. Every since it got cold (below 0) my car has been having a lot of trouble starting. I have changed oil, added fuel system cleaners and engine cleaner in case some of my valves were sticking . Does anyone else have this problem? It might be timing belt or tensioner but I am not sure. Any help would be great. Here is a link to the vid of my hard cold starts:

Unfortunately, the piston cylinder is broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts