Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 304 Posts

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
If you wanted to whittle away at the plastic sheath surrounding the IAT sensor it would work s fast as it can.
what i'm planning on doing.

also planning on coating the map sensor surface that presses against the manifold with a few layers of manifold thermal paint, hopefully reduce heat soak coming from the manifold contact and not the air

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
If you expose the actual sensor heat soak will not be an issue. Just leave enough to add some support or protection for the sensor. Expose two sides of it?

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
2 sidess what? idk

do you think i could just use a wire stripper, what is used to remove platic wire cover? or is it thick?

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
I would try a heated excato knife blade.

Maybe a dremel if you have steady hands.
all i have is a large dremel 3000, to big to have fine cutting, great for cutting steel though

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I got this far with the wire stripper using it like a pipe cutter. It's 5.3mm thick and I'm at 2.3mm now. It seems to be solid up to the tiny wires.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
thats thinker then i expected

·
FIEBRU MEMBER
453 Posts
I got this far with the wire stripper using it like a pipe cutter. It's 5.3mm thick and I'm at 2.3mm now. It seems to be solid up to the tiny wires.

Red,

Are you going to expose the whole thermistor. I was thinking more of small holes that way you will keep the thermistor protected.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Red,

Are you going to expose the whole thermistor. I was thinking more of small holes that way you will keep the thermistor protected.
yup, maybe taking 1 1/32" drll and poping a hole thrught the other side.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
If heat soak to the sensor is the issue what I did would cut quite a bit of mass out reducing direct thermal transfer.....
i think i might just get sand paper and just sa d everything all around,

i aasked a buddy who knows his stuff of theral dynamics.

the sensor is inside a platic mold, if not it be

sensor-->air---->plastic----->charged air
but he think it's

sensor---->plastic---->chargeed air

sanding it down untill you find the senssor or just till you get a buntch off, will really help

·
FIEBRU MEMBER
453 Posts
If heat soak to the sensor is the issue what I did would cut quite a bit of mass out reducing direct thermal transfer.....
It makes sense what you said but i will be concern of that nipple breaking off from the sensor and ending up in the engine.:squint:

I think it would be easier to make a couple of holes with a very fine drill bit.
:icon_rolleyes:

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
ya i'm ganna sand mine, see how it goes

·
Always Sleepin...
528 Posts
It makes sense what you said but i will be concern of that nipple breaking off from the sensor and ending up in the engine.:squint:

I think it would be easier to make a couple of holes with a very fine drill bit.
:icon_rolleyes:
That could work but you don't know where the actual glass filiment is.

·
FIEBRU MEMBER
453 Posts
That could work but you don't know where the actual glass filiment is.
Usually the epoxy bead is at the end of the nipple but you don't have to expose the bead or drill holes at the end all you have to make is an opening for the air to get in. I think that a couple of mm away from the tip is ok.
Also, you have to be very careful in the process because you can brake the nipple or like you said you can damage the thermistor.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
There's no way you could expose the sensor head. It appears the plastic is molded around it.
hmm i wonder if you could just melt it off, not with a flame, but like take it to a hot piece of metal, and jut melt the plastic off, if the molten platic could be molded on, why couldn't it be done in revers.

·
Severed member
1,595 Posts
Any updates here. Interested in what happened?

Thanks.

81 - 100 of 304 Posts