Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Here instead of working
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in the last 2 weeks I have purchased and installed Feal coilovers on my 2011 3.8 Track. I bought these used from a guy in my area who had them on his BK2, and only used them for less then 10k miles, and I got them for 1/3 of original cost. Between cost, the 30 click dampening adjustment, swift springs, and this particular set was a separate shock and spring design in the rear to mimick OE design.
These did not come with an install guide or instructions, nor was I aware that they require adjustable front end links because of how they are designed.
I read various install guides on this site, as well as watched multiple youtube videos in order to accomplish this install. When I called Feal to ask if they could email an install guide, and info on preload they just told me to have it professionally done. I'm currently in school for Auto Tech and work at a dealership, sooooo why pay someone?

Tool used:
Deep socket- 14mm, 17mm, 19mm
Wrench- 15mm,17mm,19mm
Impacts made my life easier but aren't required.
Shop Hoist
Under Hoist Jack Stand

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByidqLKHoXn/

-Make sure you've adjusted the coils to where you want to start. I did 1.5 inches of thread up front and 1" in the rear I believe, and will adjust them later.
-Break wheel nuts loose(Pretty sure stock wheel nuts are 21mm)
-Make sure vehicle is securely on the lift

Front:
-Take off the wheels/tires
-Loosen the bolts on top of the strut assembly
-Remove both Stabilizer Link nuts
--Used both wrench and socket for this
--Pop out of the strut assembly
--Remove whole link
-Remove both Strut Mount bolts and nuts at bottom of assembly
--For this I used both the wrench and the socket for these as well.
-Either use your strength to hold the full assembly up to remove both bolts, or use the under hoist jack to do so.
-Gently lower hub assembly so that you can easily remove it.
-Firmly grasp the strut, and fully remove the tophat bolts.
Put the new Strut and end link in and follow the steps in reverse.

Rear:
-Remove top end link nut
-Remove bottom nuts and bolts of the bottom strut assembly
--use under Hoist jack to keep control arm level
-Remove top bolts to strut
-SLOWLY lower control arm until the strut wants to come out.
-Spring will also follow.
--At some point with these two steps I did have to use my body weight to pull down the control arm so that I could get both Spring and Strut out.
-Keep the bottom spring mount, as you reuse this on the bottom of the lowering coil.
-Reposition the Under Hoist Jack beneath the control arm, and place the coil in position.
-Before compressing fully, place the strut in place, putting the bolt through the bottom and aligning the holes with the top.
-Use the jack to compress the spring that's in place, until the strut is able to be bolted into place at the top.
-Rebolt the end link into place.

I cannot guarantee this is the exact method that I used to mount my coilovers. I did so a week ago and just now got around to writing it up. I can answer any questions, and am open to pointers and constructive criticism. This is my first write up and I'm sorry if it's trash. :crying:

I currently have my dampening set at 15 clicks on both front and rear, because that's what they were at when I got them. I plan on adjusting them, just haven't gotten around to it yet and may do so when I get my adjustable end links in, and when I get around to playing with the height.

Before:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt6N5M0HWvK/

After:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByidqLKHoXn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysXm-0nGA3/

Registered
Nice! I have a set in my Bk1 馃槈 they are pretty dam good (retired track car). Harsh but handle fantastic. Actually swapping mine over to my bk2 (bk2 PBMs will go on the old bk1).... 馃檪

Registered
And I mean harsh. Like as in the BK1 is a DD only now and I have them set at +3 from full soft F & R..... Its a stiff ride for sure lol

Registered
Sorry I posted in the wrong thread linked from Randy's post in the Gen today thread.

How do you like the new setup Randy?

Here instead of working
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! I have a set in my Bk1 馃槈 they are pretty dam good (retired track car). Harsh but handle fantastic. Actually swapping mine over to my bk2 (bk2 PBMs will go on the old bk1).... 馃檪
And I mean harsh. Like as in the BK1 is a DD only now and I have them set at +3 from full soft F & R..... Its a stiff ride for sure lol
That is a harsh set up, holy ****. How long have you had yours? I've been on these for 2 weeks and they're the best coils i've ever run lol

Here instead of working
Discussion Starter #7
Great write up. Thanks for the useful info! Are you enjoying them so far?
Sorry I posted in the wrong thread linked from Randy's post in the Gen today thread.

How do you like the new setup Randy?
Absolutely love them, can barely tell they're on half the time, and the ride is fantastic. These compared to the Megans I ran on my last car is night and day difference.

Registered
That'll work. Your last car was a Genesis or no?

Here instead of working
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts