Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back during the summer i came across a thread on here about CAI for the BK2. These were limited to, well just one. The 3point8 performance true CAI. Since they are sold out constantly i was forced to find an alternative. Found another thread on here adapting the BK1 CAI to the BK2. For this i purchased the Injen bk1 true CAI.
I went back to where I had my car dynoed previously for a comparison. It was nice to see a gain of 10.2 tq and 13.4 hp.
It went from 251.7 tq to 261.9 tq and horsepower went from 274.4 hp to 287.8 hp

Not bad as an alternative to others.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yes intake (true CAi) does well on Gen.
Now you need atleast 7.2k revlimiter to stay in better powerband.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I currently have an Injen SRI on my bk2 3.8 and I know that it heat soaks bad, especially during the summer... do you guys think that switching back to stock airbox, heat wrapping it, and throwing in a K&N filter would yield similar gains? The reason I don’t go for a “true cai” is because I daily my car and don’t like the idea of potentially hydro locking the motor if I hit a puddle. What do y’all think?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot 100% say a sri is better or worse than stock box with drop in. I do know Dustin (RIP) was pushing over 320 hp with stock box and drop in. The stock box does have a dip in torque around 4500 rpms for some reason. The injen CAI fixed that so to me that says the problem is in the stock box somewhere.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes intake (true CAi) does well on Gen.
Now you need atleast 7.2k revlimiter to stay in better powerband.

I do have canned tune from SFR. I believe it's set at 7200rpms.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,033 Posts
You have to have the filter pretty well submerged to suck up water. Mine is very similar looking and I always thought they should have another 90 there so the filter is horizontal. You will suck up heat too from the engine bay there when sitting still without a baffle.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I currently have an Injen SRI on my bk2 3.8 and I know that it heat soaks bad, especially during the summer... do you guys think that switching back to stock airbox, heat wrapping it, and throwing in a K&N filter would yield similar gains? The reason I don’t go for a “true cai” is because I daily my car and don’t like the idea of potentially hydro locking the motor if I hit a puddle. What do y’all think?
Yes, stock box will go better, as it is already CAI - just have less ideal bends and pipe length compared to CAI with filter in the fender.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Injen makes a cover to go over the filter to stop water allows air in keeps water out.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,033 Posts
That is a pretty dry area really unless you open up the fog light bezels. You would have to be in water up to the floor before any direct contact with water other than a mist when raining. I haven't had any issues in over 10 years with the filter in that location. I have driven through deepwater but just fast enough to keep going and not a lot of throttle.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Injen makes a cover to go over the filter to stop water allows air in keeps water out.
Adds airflow restriction especially when dirty -small surface area. Might as well run optimized stock box.

Keep foglight opening closed and will not have any issues. I was one of the first once to make custom CAI on bk2 v6, been running it for 6 years - no issues.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had that tropical storm hit here this past summer in Maryland. I was going down a back road and didn't see the flooded out road i shouldn't have driven. I accidentally went through about 4-6 inches of water and sis get some water on the filter. The car cleared up within a minute or two and i drove the rest of the night. The was the most extreme i driven through and it barely got wet. Long story short, unless you drive through a large amount of standing water it will be fine. I never had it get wet under heavy rain while driving only after in the dark I didn't see the standing water.

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No but in CA it needs to be CARB exempt or you will fail inspection/emissions. One of those two If not both. The only thing that really will void the warranty is a ECU/TCU tune, or changing turbo or adding one
Technicaly it doesn't automatically void the warranty, but for arguments sake, it does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No but in CA it needs to be CARB exempt or you will fail inspection/emissions. One of those two If not both. The only thing that really will void the warranty is a ECU/TCU tune, or changing turbo or adding one
Technicaly it doesn't automatically void the warranty, but for arguments sake, it does.
Cool i think I should be okay then

1 - 14 of 14 Posts