Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going down the road today, hit the button to run the sunroof back and it moved but then made a funny sound and stopped. Would not close again, just made a popping noise.

Got home and shut the car off. Pushed the start button twice without pushing the brake so all the electric turned on but it didn't start. While looking at the top I pressed the button again and only one side moved down.

I pressed the button several times and sometimes the left side would try to pull down and sometimes the right side would try to pull down. Gave up and put it in the garage for the night (had some other stuff to do.)

Any ideas what I can do to get the darn thing to work again?

I see the torx head screws on each side (from the inside) so I could take them loose to remove the top/glass and then I could see/get to the linkage better. I'd just like to take the easy way out if I don't have to remove the sun roof.

Thanks for any experienced ideas or any suggestions.

I did do a search and ran across a thread about resetting the sun roof if you replace the battery. I did replace the battery about a month back and did not know about the reset procedure. I can try that tomorrow. That is the second time I've replace the battery and there were no issues the first time, but hey, sometimes things work and sometimes the don't.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, where is the motor? Between the head liner and the roof? Or can I get to it with the sunroof glass removed? Not sure if removing the glass is tough, but I'll be the headliner is -10 on the fun scale.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, tried the reset procedure but that didn't work. Maybe because I can't start out with the sunroof in any position but stuck in the middle.

I did grab a flashlight, open the door in the overhead console/switch plate and I could see two screws. I'll try to remove those tomorrow and see if I can find an issue with the gear/connectors??

If not I guess I'll go on to removing the 3 torx head screws per side to get the glass/frame out so I can get an even better look at the linkage/levers/gears and do a clean up and lube job if there is no damage and I can figure out what is loose/slid over and correct it.

I'll try to get some pictures, just gotta remember to keep my phone with me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Switch/light/sunglasses panel out (that's easy).

Couldn't see an "issue" under there and trying to move the sunroof just got me that popping noise on the passenger side.

Removed the three screws per side that hold the sunroof in the rails/frames (T25 screws). Easy with the extension and the 1/4" drive ratchet.

Pulled the sunroom out of the way and set it on a bench.

Back to the car, pushed button for the sunroom and still got the popping noise on the passenger side. It moves slightly up and slightly down but will not move to the rear or move all the way down or all the way up before it start popping again.

Not know what to look for I couldn't see anything wrong. Trying to "help" it to move fully up or fully down while pushing/pulling the button didn't help a bit and the driver's side will take off to the rear if you're not careful.

Gave up for today, put the tools away, put the car in the garage and set the sunroof back on it to keep stuff out of the car (don't think I've got mice in the garage but don't what to chance it.)

Watched a few You Tube videos. One might be of some help. It was about a 4 door genesis sedan but the track/rail/linkage looks similar/the same. The guy had a broken piece in his linkage that was stopping one side from moving. Plastic insert in the metal track cracked and bent down stopping that side from moving like it should. It would be great if mine is that simple and I can get the part from Hyundai. I'll take another look (no that I might know what I'm looking for) next week when I can get it back out of the garage and spend some more time on it. He also explained/showed how to get the gears in the motor assembly slightly apart while lining up the sunroom rails/linkage (moving one side by itself to align it with the other side.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally remembered to take my key fob and my phone to the garage.

Just like that video I ran across, it's a cracked plastic insert in one of the metal arms. It cracked, popped down off the metal and the pin that goes through it and slides back and forth inside the plastic/metal arm is hung up on the end of the plastic insert that's blocking travel in the direction that closes/pulls the sunroof down.

Driver's side (good) you can see right through the plastic liner and see the yellow paint in the well.

Passenger side (broken) and you can see the plastic piece raised up and in the way of the travel of the pin on the end of another arm/linkage.

Checked the local junkyards and no Hyundais listed. The guy that did the video said he got his part off a Genesis but it fit/worked as it was the same size/piece. I'll order a new one and then try to keep an eye on the junkyard inventory list to see if they get a Genesis or Hyundai in I can check for spare parts. Wouldn't hurt to put a couple of those rails away for the next time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the part in about 3 days ago. Not quite what I expected. Description says, "Assembly". It's one piece for the assembly (thankfully the part that did break) and a new drive shaft (flexible shaft that is turned by the gear on the motor and pushes/pulls the slide that actually operates each side of the sunroof as it moves forwards/backwards in the rail.

The problem is that it's not going to be easy. I managed to get the broken piece out of the rail but further broke it (cracked the plastic cover over the two spring steel slides on the front of the piece that had the broken guide in it. Even taking out a couple plastic slot covers/guides didn't give me the clearance to get the new piece (and it's slides) into the rail. Taking the front piece off the rail (only on one side) that is part of the wind deflector spring assembly didn't get clearance because I can't remove the drive shaft tube/guide that is inserted into the other side. All that is part of the "tub" the whole sunroof assembly sets in in that roof of the car.

It appears after finding some more reading in a partial repair manual that I'll have to remove the door/window pillar covers and the head liner as the new piece has to be inserted from the rear of the rail. Major PITA!

I looked the drivers side piece over (same piece that broke on the passenger side) and it appears to have some small cracks in it as well at nearly the same place that broke on the other one. If I'm going to have to pull the head liner and all I'm thinking I might as well order that piece for the driver's side and just replace both with the hope that I won't have to do it again. The info with the piece said it doesn't look exactly like the original because the design was changed - but it's the correct replacement part. Not sure what was changed but maybe the change was made to make it more reliable/last longer?? I can hope anyway.

One funny thing was when I pulled out the piece that goes at the back of the sunroof (appears to help push the sunroof upwards and support it as it moves to the rear) only one side had the little plastic glide/wear piece on it. I got a flashlight and looked and sure enough, the little plastic piece was lying in the track at the back. Got it out with a really long cable/wire tie by raking it forward (took several tried as the end of the cable tie kept popping over the slide as I pulled it forward.) Got some pictures of the broken piece (to better show the break.

Also epoxied the broken piece back together to put away as an emergency spare in case the parts become impossible to get some day. I'll let it sit a few days and pull the spacer used to hold it in place out and see if it stays.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
I don't like sunroofs. And usually I can't get the car I want without one. On my BK1 the outside rubber trim is all cracked from the sun I guess. You have to get a used one or a whole new sunroof and then take out the whole thing to replace.

Good luck. Do you use your sunroof a lot?

I found it odd that Hyndai didn't use a reflective insulation between the roof and interior. I use to keep some sunglasses in the holder but it would end up distorting them from the heat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some of this for the gaskets/seals.

Amazon.com: nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Everything Else

My youngest son's 323i Convertible is a 1998. He swears by this stuff. I haven't tried it yet but the Coupe is 11 years old now. Supposed to return the gaskets/seals to near new condition and then use a couple times a year to keep them that way. The bad reviews are about the applicator on the bottle, not how well it does at preserving the gaskets.

If I'm driving and it's pretty decent I'll open the sunroof up and enjoy the extra wind/breeze. If my wife's with me it's hardly ever used as "it messes up her hair." Isn't that what all those brushes are for??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts