Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
British Oreo.
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember a while ago I was on a different forum and people were talking about a unique and simple trunk conversion that could be done. Basically it added an extra set of hinges onto the trunk that allowed it to open parallel to the horizontal stance of the car.

Here is an image of what I mean. Please excuse the bloody god awful riced out Cavalier, but it's just to get the point across.

Come to think of it, it's the lambo door version of your trunk lid. :p

Do you guys think this type of thing would look okay on the GC?

And if it did look okay, would it be easy to do?

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
depending on how the hinges are designed, you gain trunk space because of how the stock hinges pivot into the trunk area.

·
British Oreo.
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's always a bonus for us DD folk, but I'm wondering how the conversion will actually look on the Genesis. I've seen it on one or two other cars and it actually looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I vote to leave it to a less classy, more ricey car.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
i say, just redesign the hinges to have more usable trunk space.

how the trunk door is positioned is up to preference. :p

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
^+1
And someone let me know once this new hign style is done, because those things piss me off.. :(

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Itll look awesome with the trunk shut :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Maybe im missing something but i dont see how this would increase trunk space. What you can fit in the trunk is still limited by what you can fit between the bottom of the rear deck and the floorboard in the trunk. The only thing that changes is how the trunk opens, but the actually opening for the trunk stays the same size.

:confused: I dont know. My spatial skills have always sucked lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's the hinges the break stuff when the trunk is full as they drop down into the trunk area. My 1964 chevy nova had the same hinges.

·
British Oreo.
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems that the general opinion is negative. Anyone with Photoshop skills mind showing us what it would look like?
Sure, it went out 10 years ago, but how does it look on a vehicle that has never had that type of thing done to it?

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
I'm confused. Wouldn't you still be using the stock hinges to raise it up? So how would it remove that from taking up trunk space?

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
not all those setups reuse the stock hinges.

@Nosaj. go to trunk, open trunk, put box that is tall enough for trunk under hinge, close trunk. learn :p

·
Breast Examiner
1,784 Posts
No FF

This is a real PP "3 Stooges" design by Hyundai.
When I first looked over the car and did my JD Powers,
that was the only design I thought was WTF??
The FF design looks like a baby stroller. :rofl: > NFG
They should have just used hinges at the back edge with a
click lock > lift and release with no pistons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts