Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I'm running the Cat back, and no complaints so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds so good that I went ahead and contacted a local shop to get this done. Gonna have them check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have a Megan Mid pipe on my 3.8 and this sounds like an option. I want a little more grunt but not too loud. I think this may be a good option. Anyone else who gets this done please post your sound bites.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Picked up the flowmaster tonight and will have it installed within the next 2 days... will post a video.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looking forward to a video as well. I've been debating whether getting a Megan midpipe will make a sound difference.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Looking forward to a video as well. I've been debating whether getting a Megan midpipe will make a sound difference.
I sense the Megan midpipe will reduce that rasp.. sort of smooth out the exhaust note. I will post for sure. I say this only because even cold there is no longer that subtle rasp you get when revving. I have my fingers crossed for a nice outcome. I did consider the magaflow but it was not what I was looking for.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Very interested to hear the results with the Megan Mid Pipe!

·
Automotive Fanatic
163 Posts
Ive had this flowmaster on my 3.8 for a long time. Its great! Im curious what the midpipe will make it sound like though.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well got it installed and I have to say the sound is quite good. Sounds very euro which is weird but it does. The guys who installed it were impressed. It actually sounds louder than it is from the inside of the car. When the guy drove it off for a little spin I was blown away. It's deep and burps really nice... no rasp at all thanks to the megan mid pipe. I may find something to baffle the in cabin noise just a bit LOL.
So if you are looking for a nice sounding exhaust I would recommend this for sure.
I will post some clips soon.

·
Automotive Fanatic
163 Posts
yeah im really looking forward to hearing it! Im probably getting the midpipe and a CAI very soon so that should make a relative improvement to the gen :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
So what I did about the drop was sound dampen the trunk. I looked for the Peel and Seal here in Canada but no luck so I got some of this and it really worked well. I also added some foam yoga mats as well.. trimmed and tapped off the ends.
Here is a pick. With one layer there was a good 25% reduction in cabin noise which was more than I expected. It really took the harsh edge off.. almost "Wife safe" LOL. I then added one more layer. It is louder but the added HP and torque is worth it.
Here is a pic to the trunk after I added the sound dampening tape.

And here is the sound clip. Let me know what you all think. My buddy who drives a brand new AMG C63 loves the sound. He was driving it for the video...

Exhaust - YouTube

Update: This morning for good measure I also did under the back seat. So I will update after I take it for a drive this morning..my wife will be with me so here is hoping.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The results were quite good. I then decided to review the job I did in the trunk and found I missed a few spots. So I touched those up with the tap and also placed some foam in any openings I could find. There were only two, one on either side. I then went out armed with my decibel app on my iphone and took some readings. For the most part the readings were around 70-80 db. The loudest I could get it was about 90... So I think I have done a half decent job.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That sounds pretty awesome! How is the drone on the highway?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
BK Matt, the highway is not too bad. I will have to take it out tomorrow to get a good readying. I was also reading about adding side resonators but I don't want to mess around too much. I mean I wanted a louder and less restrictive exhaust and now I have it, so I guess I just need to get used to it. It's actually quite nice now... I love the little burbles when slowing down...

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
I just installed my flowmaster 80 two days ago. It is pure awesomeness. I got it installed at Midas with an initial quote of $100-$150 for installation. The reason it was so high was that "it is a transverse muffler mount" which I guess means they have to reset all the exhaust hangers and such. It took about 2 hours for that and an oil change. I ended up knowing a guy that works there so he did it as side work for $50. When he was done he revved it all the way through 6k rpm and had a bigger smile on his face than I did. He brought it around and was so excited for me to hear it that he forgot to do the oil change (which he did after I started Genny up and rev'd it a bit). He said that he doesnt see very many gencoupes (due to being from a midsized town in texas) but he was only going to recommend the 80 series to everyone that inquired. He said it sounded like an aston martin that passed by his shop pretty frequently. (1 of possibly 2 in town). Imo it sound amazing. Its throaty, with minimal rasp and sounds really euro. I love it. Best $139 I could spend.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just installed my flowmaster 80 two days ago. It is pure awesomeness. I got it installed at Midas with an initial quote of $100-$150 for installation. The reason it was so high was that "it is a transverse muffler mount" which I guess means they have to reset all the exhaust hangers and such. It took about 2 hours for that and an oil change. I ended up knowing a guy that works there so he did it as side work for $50. When he was done he revved it all the way through 6k rpm and had a bigger smile on his face than I did. He brought it around and was so excited for me to hear it that he forgot to do the oil change (which he did after I started Genny up and rev'd it a bit). He said that he doesnt see very many gencoupes (due to being from a midsized town in texas) but he was only going to recommend the 80 series to everyone that inquired. He said it sounded like an aston martin that passed by his shop pretty frequently. (1 of possibly 2 in town). Imo it sound amazing. Its throaty, with minimal rasp and sounds really euro. I love it. Best $139 I could spend.
That is amazing!! My story very similar. My buddy who drives a 2013 AMG C63 loves it as well. Another buddy who gets to hear many amazing cars also felt it had a very Euro sound. I also have cold air intake and Megan mid pipe which gets rid of that OEM rasp... not sure if you experience that or not.

I did some major sound dampening in the trunk and back seat (posted here I think) so the cabin DB level is about 60-70 db most times. I am so happy with this mod. I next have to head to performance improvement since the nice guy there was interested hearing it...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That is amazing!! My story very similar. My buddy who drives a 2013 AMG C63 loves it as well. Another buddy who gets to hear many amazing cars also felt it had a very Euro sound. I also have cold air intake and Megan mid pipe which gets rid of that OEM rasp... not sure if you experience that or not.

I did some major sound dampening in the trunk and back seat (posted here I think) so the cabin DB level is about 60-70 db most times. I am so happy with this mod. I next have to head to performance improvement since the nice guy there was interested hearing it...
My story was the same, took the muffler and tips to my exhaust guy. He looked at the 80-series and my car and gave me that "Are you serious?" look. Then added to that with, "This is for a Camaro, you know, right?". At the end, he was completely amazed. Just like he was last time I saw him with a Ford Taurus and a match up of a Flowmaster Super 10 and Hushpower II mufflers.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just added one more sound dampening layer of foam mat from Canadian tire. Found in the camping section.

The interior cabin sound is now perfect! My OEM trunk liner goes over top so it looks OKAY.
Floormaster and a few parts from Home Depot and Canadian Tire for the WIN!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts