Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my first set of FlyRyde head lights in May 2012. I sent a list of specifications to them, and fortunately Brandon was in the middle of parting out his car, which had a set almost exactly like I wanted. He cut me a deal in exchange for my stock units plus some cash, and I thought I was getting hooked up. I now wish I could go back and slap the **** out of myself.

The lights, first of all, were in poor shape. They'd clearly been in and out of the over a couple dozen times, at least, but that didn't bother me so much. In fact, I was very happy with them for the first several months. See how sick the car looked when they worked right:

http://i.imgur.com/F2pcqat.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ymPuHVv.jpg

My first big issue was hyperblink, which I easily resolved. The second issue was poor seal and shoddy wiring. One of my turn signals would get stuck in the on position during humid weather due to a poor seal. Also, both units leaked to some extent. So, I decided in December 2012 to send the headlights back for repair. Mind you, each time you ship a set of lights coast-to-coast, the cost is $45 at a minimum, usually closer to $70 if you don't want to wait two weeks each way, and you essentially have to buy insurance, since they're very fragile and the shippers don't care at all.

Long story short, I ended up without a car for nearly three months. Chris kept making excuses about not having the right parts, and I was stuck without a DD all of winter 2013-14. He did agree to send me a pair of loaner head lights at one point (another $100+ in shipping expenses, of course), but what he didn't tell me is that they did not have functioning turn signals or low beams. Mind you, this is winter, when it gets dark before 5PM, and I would often have to work later than that and drive home after. I finally get my headlights back in March, and I was very happy for about a month. The turn signal rings burned out again before the end of April. I literally spent three times more time waiting for repair than I did enjoying the lights. This is what the LED burnout looks like in the early stages:

http://i.imgur.com/t26LGoU.jpg
Eventually, they die completely, diode by diode.

I started talking to Chris about repairs again, but I wasn't really in a position to risk being out of a car for three months again. So, I drove with busted up head lights all year, until one of the white running light rings burned out as well (less than a year after initial repairs). By this time, like the idiot I am, I also decided I'd like to get some custom tails. I ordered (and paid for) these on 10 October 2014. Chris sent me a two Photoshop renderings the same day. That's as close as he ever came to actually producing the tail lights.

Anyway, fast forward to this month, May 2015. I finally sent the head lights back to Chris for repairs, against my better judgement, because I couldn't handle seeing one bright white halo on my car next to another one burnt out. Once again, it was only after the lights had arrived that Chris discovered that the parts he kept in stock were defective. He once again had to order more parts, and I once again had to wait. He purportedly shipped the lights back to me last Friday, after three weeks, but never gave me a tracking number. I asked him for the tracking number over e-mail and text three times since the day he "shipped," and no response so far. Also, as of today, it's been over seven and a half months since I paid for the custom tails. Chris keeps saying they'll be ready "early next week," the same thing he's been saying since SEMA 2014. I requested a refund, and if I don't get it, then I'm filing a dispute via PayPal tomorrow. I hope I get my head lights this week, assuming he even shipped them, but at the same time I understand they probably won't even last me for the rest of this year, based on three years of prior experience.

I hate to say this, but I wish I never bought those head lights from Brandon. I could not have imagined this turning into such an expensive and stressful three year long ordeal. My life was better and easier without FlyRyde in it. I'm sure if you're a GT-R, Z01, or DB9 owner, you'll get timely and meticulous service from Chris, and I'm sure this makes a lot of sense on his part from a business standpoint. It's too bad it has to come at the expense of cheating and deceiving owners of the GCs and Tiburons who got him there.

In summary, it has now cost me around $2000 and four months of being without my DD to learn one simple lesson: don't send the lights off your cheap Korean car to someone who specializes in $90k+ cars. No matter what they claim, your project will always be on the back burner, in terms of both timeliness and quality of work. I can only hope that my case is the outlying exception and not par for the course. Draw from it what you will.

Edit: I want to add that I was consistently polite, courteous, and patient in my interactions with Chris this whole time, until this week, and I have years of e-mail and IM transcripts to prove it. This was difficult for me, as I'm not at all a patient person by nature. However, when a three week project starts to approach the eight month mark, and when I can't get a simple tracking number sent to me after 5 days, on top of everything that's happened in the last three years, that's a breaking point for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
****, your making me regret the $1,500 project I have with him thats scheduled for August. I had a similar issue with my tails that I had gotten done in terms of the amount of time it takes for him to do things (I need warranty work re-done to them too, I'm just hesitant to send them for obvious reasons that you've mentioned of not being able to drive for 3 months). What I know though is that hes running a 1 man show, I believe its only him that is doing the sales, custom work, replying to texts/emails so I try to cut him some slack. None the less though, with this much business I wish he'd hire help.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're certainly correct on the last part, he's conveyed to me a lot of the same details with regard to all that personal stuff. I have to say that, as much as I sympathize, it's still bad business. It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard in this economy to put an ad up on CL and then hire an admin assistant and maybe a CS person if needed. Admittedly, that's pure speculation, as he's the small business owner and I'm not. The factual outcome of all this, however, is an overwhelming loss of confidence. After so many months of being given the run around, I simply don't believe anything he tells me, and I certainly know better than to send my only set of lights his way again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me at least forty something times, now what? And that's the worst part about it all, I just feel straight up stupid for getting involved in this, and trusting someone like that, and wasting so much time and money.
It was difficult for me to post this thread, because Chris really does come off as a great guy, and I very much want to like him, and I would so much rather post a glowing review here... but the results just aren't there. He was talking about getting help for the summer really soon, and I do hope that he does, and that they're good at their jobs, and that his enterprise become efficient and effective again. I really do hope that he's successful in the future, and this review gets buried under many positive ones, but he's definitely lost me as a customer now. I'd rather buy some Spec-D or Spyders or whatever instead of the unique look I actually want, for at least I won't have to go through all of this ever again. Maybe I'll research local options once I get my refund for the tails.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've slept on this, and I now realize that I posted while angry. While everything in this thread is factually true, I don't want it out there to hurt Chris' future business. Despite what CS issues and problems with suppliers and contractors there may be, he's actively making improvements, and I expect that things will run much smoother through this summer and beyond. Mods, please delete thread.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would say keep the thread up.

The facts are facts and if anyone bothered to read through the entirety of your post, they'd understand the value of seeing both sides.

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
Not closing the thread. Although Chris FlyRyde has done some pretty good work for folks over the years, the fact of the matter is that even the best of us can have bad days. While I don't see this as being a trend of any kind, people do need to be aware that every vendor from time to time, even the good ones, sometimes have issues with quality. What is often typical of a small business that becomes successful is that the work grows and the business fails to grow with the work. As the OP had mentioned, it may be time to consider hiring some help to handle the growing customer service issues that are bound to crop up when the workload increases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts