Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here i don't own a genesis yet but been looking at getting one for a long time. long story short is i can't make up my mind to keep my current ride or get something else.
so I've liked the gen coupes for a while, here are the questions, my current ride is a dodge magnum 5.7, obviously i'm looking for something quite different in the gen coupe, smaller more sporty and manual transmission. its going to be the 3.8 im leaning towards the '10-12 model year for two main reasons one is i like the look better, and two because the price difference is pretty substantial, about $8000 difference where im living. and at the price of the 13+ model is around mustang gt pricing, i dont want to do car payments, im buying car cash, this will be pushing the comfort of my financial situation. and at that price there might be better options out there.

plans could go anywhere with the car but right away im planning headers(im hearing this may be a problem with passing etests?), downpipe and exhaust, intake and getting a tuned ecm. after these mods how will i be powerwise compared to 13+genny?
and anyone have any insight into how much slower it might be compared to my magnum. magnum as short ram intake, cat back exhaust, 91 oct canned tune, and srt 3.06 gears.
dynoed at 303hp 344lbs/t.
where i go to race 1/4 mile i haven't raced any gennys but my buddy in a 2014 300 5.7 raced a 13+ 3.8 got him by a car length or two. (race is on youtube but it wont let me post the link) im about .5 to 1 car length behind when i race him.

so stock the 2010 3.8 i figure is slower then my current ride but im hoping after some bolt on it will at least be close, just looking for opinions to try to keep the surprises to a minimum after the car is bought. dont really want to upgrade to a noticeably slower car.
Thanks.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
If you hunt around here for some of our dyno results, you'll see the 2013+ 3.8s net around 15-20whp more than the 2010's with the same mods when tuned.

A 2010 3.8 with I/H/E work & custom dyno tune puts down ~290-300whp.... right around where your magnum is sitting, but only 260-285tq. That said, the GC is around 800lbs lighter than the Magnum, so given the same whp and less weight, it should be faster on paper.

Also, yes, headers will be a problem for emissions testing. The stock headers house the primary catalytic converters and all the available aftermarket headers have NO cats.

Additionally, understand that there are no 'Open' tuning solutions for the Genesis ECU, especially for the 3.8 - you can't drop into a dyno shop and get someone to plug in and start working timing/fuel tables. The ECU is closed & protected and a select few companies are capable of providing tuning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. for the tune i was just looking at getting a canned tune ecm from either SRF or BTR.
i would also probably avoid the headers if there is no solutions for losing the primary cats, unless there is some exhaust that can be bought with high flow cats that will work, i'm, guessing not though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts