Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of DIY guides on installing aftermarket fog light surrounds. Every DIY starts with taking the front bumper off. Has anyone attempted the install by jacking the car up, removing the bottom splash guard and installing it that way (from underneath)?

Is this possible with a stubby screwdriver and small hands?

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
It's very possible. Everyone says you need to take the bumper off to install an aftermarket grille as well. But I have small hands and a high tolerance to cutting them to ribbons and managed to install the grille just fine.
I don't see a reason for the fogs to be any different really. Someone whose installed fog surrounds could give some better insight here..

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Yes you can. That's exactly how you change your foglamp bulbs and the OEM surrounds are only held on with 3 or 4 screws. The splash guard is very flexable and it's range of movement is increased further if you undo to hand screws in the tire well.

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
I read a lot of DIY guides on installing aftermarket fog light surrounds. Every DIY starts with taking the front bumper off. Has anyone attempted the install by jacking the car up, removing the bottom splash guard and installing it that way (from underneath)?

Is this possible with a stubby screwdriver and small hands?
It's not really possible to install fog surrounds on a car without removing the bumper. You have to drill mounting holes in the surround while aligning it properly--and this can only be done with the bumper off the car. Not only that but, it would be extremely difficult to get the proper amount of leverage on a small screwdriver in such an awkward position. You'd likely spend upwards of 3 hours doing it this way, whereas removing the bumper would for the install only be about a 30 minute process.

Either way, why would it be a problem for you to just take the bumper off? Even if you pre-drill the holes on the surrounds, it would be nearly impossible to get it right the first time--which means you'd have to remove them completely and try to adjust it sight-unseen. That makes absolutely no sense when removing the bumper takes less than 10 minutes. In fact, it's one of the easiest front bumper removals of any car I've ever seen.

It's very possible. Everyone says you need to take the bumper off to install an aftermarket grille as well. But I have small hands and a high tolerance to cutting them to ribbons and managed to install the grille just fine.
I don't see a reason for the fogs to be any different really. Someone whose installed fog surrounds could give some better insight here..
Barely anyone says you have to take off the bumper to install a grill. Yes, you could do it that way, but it's not a common practice at all. For the unexperienced installer though, it's easier to take off the bumper than just the OEM grill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts