Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GenCoupeDXB
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Independent fogs on 13+

hey guys so yesterday i was messing around with my car and installed Cree Leds instead of the halogen bulbs,
but i was surprised that you cant use the fog lights unless the low beams are on so its basically all lights or no lights which is stupid.
all my other cars i can run them with just the parking lights on , so basically what am asking is is there any way or mod or whatever i can do to be able to turn on the fog lights without the low beams being on , that is fog lights and parking lights only with main beam off??

i have found many threads about pre 2013 but i understand that the same method dosent work anymore for 13+ and i couldnt find a proper way on the forum
P.S. i own the 2013 3.8L GT with factory HID low beams and DRL

thanks

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,427 Posts
It appears the fog lamps are still hot in run and grounded by the switch but the ground logic starts at the BCM, probably to keep them off with hi beams or with no lights.

I would guess unlike the BK1s where you just clip the looped wire and ground it at the switch connector, on the BK2 you need to clip the incoming ground wire to the switch from the BCM and ground that.

BCM connector

Wire ten on the BCM #2 connector is the wire. You could test the theory by using some solid 20 ga wire (found inside 4' florescent lamps) to shove into the #10 spot and ground it, then try to see if the lights come on when you want.

·
GenCoupeDXB
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears the fog lamps are still hot in run and grounded by the switch but the ground logic starts at the BCM, probably to keep them off with hi beams or with no lights.

I would guess unlike the BK1s where you just clip the looped wire and ground it at the switch connector, on the BK2 you need to clip the incoming ground wire to the switch from the BCM and ground that.

BCM connector

Wire ten on the BCM #2 connector is the wire. You could test the theory by using some solid 20 ga wire (found inside 4' florescent lamps) to shove into the #10 spot and ground it, then try to see if the lights come on when you want.
thats sounds doable but i wana ask cuz from what ive been reading around that alot of people who tried to mess with the BCM ended up screwing something and having to replace the whole thing sometimes. on a scale of 1 to 10 10 being no safe at all how safe do you recon this procedure will be? and since i have limited experience with electrical wirings a small detailed step by step would help me a long way instead of me messing with the wrong wire and blowing my car up :p

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,427 Posts
The BCM controls the fog light control circuit by grounding it. This is what you will do too.

This will require cutting of an OEM wire and has legal consequences.

·
GenCoupeDXB
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The BCM controls the fog light control circuit by grounding it. This is what you will do too.

This will require cutting of an OEM wire and has legal consequences.
So last few questions

Will the switch work independently of the headlights on or off and will switch off with the ignition off?

Will I get any errors or anything in regards to the lighting system

And lastly should I ground the wire going to the bcm or the wire coming out of it after I cut the wire

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,427 Posts
It will work when the key is in run.

I'm not sure about errors.

The wire coming out of the BCM on pin #10 connector 2 should be cut. The BCM side should be taped over and you ground the other side which goes to the switch.

I would defiantly try grounding wire #10 before cutting it to make sure this works with the key and fog light switch on, headlights off.

·
GenCoupeDXB
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will work when the key is in run.

I'm not sure about errors.

The wire coming out of the BCM on pin [URL=http://www.GenCoupe.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=10]#10 [/URL] connector 2 should be cut. The BCM side should be taped over and you ground the other side which goes to the switch.

I would defiantly try grounding wire #10 before cutting it to make sure this works with the key and fog light switch on, headlights off.
Is it possible to trace the wire #10 back to the multifunction switch maybe I can cut it from there and ground it, that will make my life ten times easier Cuz there it's much easier to reach than the BCM

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

·
GenCoupeDXB
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,427 Posts
The connector would have to be plugged into the MFS. Like I said I use some thin sold copper wire to back probe connectors. There should be some metal to ground to under the IC on the dash.

If it works I don't know the consequences of leaving the OE wiring as is and just adding a permanent ground to it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So any update on whether this worked and or additional tips.

I had this working on my 2010 and would love to enable it on my 2016. Have my Lamin-X fog covers coming in the mail.

We see a lot of fog on the east coast.

Thanks in advance!

·
GenCoupeDXB
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So any update on whether this worked and or additional tips.

I had this working on my 2010 and would love to enable it on my 2016. Have my Lamin-X fog covers coming in the mail.

We see a lot of fog on the east coast.

Thanks in advance!
i acctually havent had the chance to test it out as i got real busy with work and my car is in the garage am having paint job done along with alot of mechanical fixes so i should be able to test it when i get the car back.

feel free to post your findings if you do test it before i do

·
Registered
544 Posts
Will do, just bought the car and it's hard to stop driving it long enough to mod anything yet, LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts