Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had heating issues yet running at the track because the front bumper just doesn't snag in enough air? Or is everyone fine?
Figured I would ask another question,
Has any reported over heating because their aftermarket intercooler does not snag enough air on the stock bumper?

Please share, I have just been looking at the front and been like "Does enough air get in there for faster/Bigger HP application genesis owners out there?"

/Your thoughts and insight :D

(my apologize if some view this as a dumb question, figured I would just ask, can't hurt...or can it!) lol

·
Registered
539 Posts
The only time I hear about the benefits from getting new fog surrounds with mesh openings or something is with cold air intakes because it gives you a few extra hp. Other than that I'm not really sure

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Has anyone had heating issues yet running at the track because the front bumper just doesn't snag in enough air? Or is everyone fine?
Figured I would ask another question,
Has any reported over heating because their aftermarket intercooler does not snag enough air on the stock bumper?

Please share, I have just been looking at the front and been like "Does enough air get in there for faster/Bigger HP application genesis owners out there?"

/Your thoughts and insight :D

(my apologize if some view this as a dumb question, figured I would just ask, can't hurt...or can it!) lol
With no mods, the OEM intercooler with OEM bumper seems to be just fine in stock form on the track. But, I had modified my front bumper by my 2nd track event, so don't know beyond that & have no power mods done as of yet with tracking the vehicle.

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
With no mods, the OEM intercooler with OEM bumper seems to be just fine in stock form on the track. But, I had modified my front bumper by my 2nd track event, so don't know beyond that & have no power mods done as of yet with tracking the vehicle.
I'm sorry, what?
My OEM intercooler would heatsoak in about 15-20 of normal driving during summer (in only 80 degree weather).

Now to the OP asking about engine overheating, no, your intercooler has almost no effect on that, the IC is to lower Air Intake Temps.
The Radiator keeps water temps down, and seems to do a pretty good job of it. I drove from socal to Nevada back to Wa in 115degree weather between 60-130mph and only got over 200 a few times; this only occured when driving below 60 and after having been driving for several hours in that heat.

Then again, I had the Vis AMS styled hood at the time, so that helped as well.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Some good advice above, but I think the best advice is to monitor your temps. Sure, it is good to get a general feel form others, but you are unlitmately responsible for your engine health.

But there was a guy in Saudi IIRC that ran in the summer at a track with no issues. Though I bet he was running 70/30water, and was requird to change his oil after the event. I doubt you would do any engine damage from the heat, as said above, the oil and water cools it pretty well. Some watter wetter could help.

I don't see the bumper air flow having much to do with any of it. If it is hot outside your hood temps will be up there. I would think better heat sheilding would yeild better results than better bumper airflow.

IC efficiency and IAT's have more to do with possible engine detonation and pre-ignition rather than engine overheating. Which isn't good either, but some tuning and a higher octane can fix that. The ECU has a built in IAT/MAP sensor and adjusts based on IAT's and probably other things to keep you safe.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,293 Posts
My experience is the coolant will stay under control under most circumstances. But when heat input exceeds the ability to shed it the temps will rapidly rise.

Last summer I had boil over after about three 20 minute track sessions in +90F high humidity conditions. You would not notice it from looking at the lame OEM gage though.

The OEM radiator is a dual core (as compared to the OEM 3.8L) but has room to be a quad core.

Ideally for those who have removed the factory IC is a 3.8L sized dual core radiator. I tried a stock 3.8L after market radiator and could not get it to fit on my 2.0L. Don't know if this was due to the after market part or if the 3.8L radiator has a different mounting position.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
I'm sorry, what?
My OEM intercooler would heatsoak in about 15-20 of normal driving during summer (in only 80 degree weather).

Now to the OP asking about engine overheating, no, your intercooler has almost no effect on that, the IC is to lower Air Intake Temps.
The Radiator keeps water temps down, and seems to do a pretty good job of it. I drove from socal to Nevada back to Wa in 115degree weather between 60-130mph and only got over 200 a few times; this only occured when driving below 60 and after having been driving for several hours in that heat.

Then again, I had the Vis AMS styled hood at the time, so that helped as well.
I personally had no issues with heat soak during DD all throughout last year or during my 4 track events that were from Feb-May (still cool months). I have no issues with radiator temps what-so-ever at any time. But, my car is still completely stock performance wise w/o even a flash. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts