Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Front Emblem recess smaller than Trunk

2K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  NewGenOrder 
#1 ·
I searched through the forum and found all kinds of issues with wing badges but none quite like mine. The recess in my front bumper is 142.76mm and the badges I got are 146.51mm. the trunk recess is 147.88mm so the badge will fit fine there.
Has anyone else had an issue like this?
Is the front emblem recess smaller on all cars or just mine?

This is freakin weird. I’m an engineer and I used my digital micrometer. Any thoughts or comments would be useful. Thanks

#3 ·
I bought them from kmdland on eBay but the badges seem fine, I think. My car is what I’m wondering about. Everywhere I have looked in this forum and on retail websites, they all state that the front and back emblems are interchangeable. My issue is the front emblem recess is so much smaller than the trunk emblem recess. The front recess is 142.76mm wide and the trunk emblem recess is 147.88mm wide. This seems like a big difference for anything that is supposed to fit either location. I was wondering if all the 2013 Genesis Coupes are this way.
The emblems I received are both 146.51mm wide. Either one will fit the trunk recess just fine but they are just too wide to fit in the front emblem recess.

#4 ·
I’m sorry; yes I am talking about the width of the opening on the car. I got the open style because I have a gray car and I didn’t like the way the solid oval looked.

I need to create a flicker account or something. This site doesn't allow me to attach pictures the way my motorcycle forum does.

#10 ·
To clarify, I found out it did not fit into the front bumper recess after I had removed the whole bumper and the H emblem. I tried to test fit it and it would not go into the recess opening. Also I am not measuring wing tip to wing tip. I am measuring the widest point of the oval. In the 1st post I call out the width of the new emblem as being 146.51mm and the front bumper emblem is only 142.76. Trust me there is nowhere near enough room in the front emblem recess for it to inside.
I wanted to know if other 2013 front bumper recesses are that small. If I’m stuck with a weird emblem cross bar I might be able to heat the cross bar up and gently bend it so the opening enlarges enough to put the emblem in then let it go back to normal and cool. If I can do it the emblem would never fall off. But if all 2013s are similar in size I will look for emblems that are smaller. I wanted to know what others had.

#11 ·
This is interesting, I have not heard one person say the opening was smaller?

Can you post a picture of the emblem you have and compare it to the oval?

Wait, I just thought of something, some have noted the the wings itself are blocking the emblem from fitting in the recess for the front, basically the "wing tips" will not let the oval sit flush, is that happening with yours?

#14 · (Edited)
I am using the wing badges from my wrecked '13 RSPec on my new '13 Track. What fit like a glove on the RSpec, for some reason did not fit on the Track as good. ( I did not measure, so I cannot verify if there are any changes). However, I did get mine to fit, but did have to trim a notch on the wings. Where height is a concern, it fits great in the front, but the width allows NO slack, it is a very very snug fit.

#18 ·
ran into this issue when installing mine. the front didn't quite fit so i need to trim the oval a little bit. They are the ImportShark emblems. Not too happy with the purchase

#19 ·
Can you post a picture of the emblem placed up to the recess oval on the front bumper?

Try this if you look closely the tape portion does not extend out the very edge of the oval, you might want double up on the tape this will bring the emblem out a bit to clear the oval's recess, does that make sense?

#20 ·
i was thinking about doing this, but i kinda messed up my extra adhesives haha.

Also the back emblem should be slightly concaved to fit the trunk better. The sides of the rear emblem don't stick down

#21 ·
When I had the bumper off the car and was trying this install it was dark so I didn’t take any pictures at that time. When I removed the H emblem the plastic posts broke off even though I was trying to be gentle. To get the H back on after the new wing emblem would not fit into the bumper emblem recess, I had to file down two ½“, wide thread screws too just the right thickness where I could tighten down the H emblem again without braking or cracking what was left of the plastic post. 2 washers were also required but it is on their good and tight. My point is I am not really hot on the idea of taking all that apart to take a picture that shows one side of the wing emblem tight to its side of the recess and the other side completely out of the recess because there isn’t enough room for it to sit flat.

All that aside I might be able to double up on the tape enough to get it to float over the recess. If it didn’t look like crap, was centered, and I could get a bite on it with some longer screws, I could make the double tape idea work. Thank you!

I’m just happy to hear that anyone else had a similar issue so I’m not crazy, or rather more crazy than I already knew I was. :rofl:

#22 ·
Yup, had the same problem with the front wing and ended up shaving off a little in order to make it fit. I wasn't too happy with these wings and replaced them with the sedan wings instead.

#23 ·
There is another option. Get a piece of black lexan or ABS plastic (very thin just enough thickness to be flush), cut to fill in the oval and tape it in the oval, then tape the wings on top of that, I am sure it will be barely noticeable.

I think the wings were really designed for the older grill and never changed for the 13's.

#24 ·
Thank you, to all who replied to my emblem thread. I at least have an understanding of what the issue is and can make a decision based on the forum’s collective experience. Whatever the eventual outcome is, I will update this thread so the next Gen Coupe owner can leverage it is they so choose. That is the beauty of having a forum community.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.