Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped front and rear sway bars last Saturday along with replacing the front end links with moog-k750639. The front sway bar is 28mm and the rear is 22mm.
I torqued everything down to spec. I took the car out for a spin and I noticed the change in cornering has gotten alot better but when I go over bumps there is a clunky noise coming from the front left and right. I can feel something hitting.
My question is are all sway bars compatible for all years?
I'm having clearance issues with the control arm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Yes, the sway bar design stayed the same for all model years, the only thing they changed occasionally between trims was the thickness of the bars but we're talking 1-2mm. Are you sure something is making contact? You can be slammed and still use aftermarket bars. I would jack the car up and inspect the front bar for evidence that it's in fact contacting a control arm. You also need to be sure that you torqued the endlinks enough, they need to be about 70ftlbs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the sway bar design stayed the same for all model years, the only thing they changed occasionally between trims was the thickness of the bars but we're talking 1-2mm. Are you sure something is making contact? You can be slammed and still use aftermarket bars. I would jack the car up and inspect the front bar for evidence that it's in fact contacting a control arm. You also need to be sure that you torqued the endlinks enough, they need to be about 70ftlbs.
I installed the front sway bar while the car was on jack stands up front instead of ramps. I also replaced the end links as well. I'm thinking that due to the car not being under load had something to do with it. I think the trailing arm on both sides are making contact with the sway bar right before its connected to the end link. I will measure from the fender down to the center of the hub and put the car back on stands. I should be able to remimic the movement by putting the floor jack underneath the hub and jacking it up. Hopefully I will see the contact. By taking the measurement I will be able to set the angle properly for clearance. I torqued the end links to 80 ft pounds. I will do that process on Saturday. Hopefully it works because it also could mean I have bad struts.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Installing on jack stands doesn't matter and it's really the only way to do it unless you have adjustable endlinks that allow you to take any static load off of the bar. Keep in mind when fully off the ground the bar will likely touch the control arm, you have to compress the suspension a bit to get them to separate so don't let that throw you off.

Also, does your new sway bar have more than one hole for the endlink to mount to and if so which are you using? And are you lowered?

One more thing, those Moogs are thicker than the stock links, as such combined with a thicker sway bar they will transmit a lot more road feel to the steering wheel, that can make it seem like bigger bumps are much worse than they are, could feel bad enough to seem like something is making contact.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installing on jack stands doesn't matter and it's really the only way to do it unless you have adjustable endlinks that allow you to take any static load off of the bar. Keep in mind when fully off the ground the bar will likely touch the control arm, you have to compress the suspension a bit to get them to separate so don't let that throw you off.

Also, does your new sway bar have more than one hole for the endlink to mount to and if so which are you using? And are you lowered?

One more thing, those Moogs are thicker than the stock links, as such combined with a thicker sway bar they will transmit a lot more road feel to the steering wheel, that can make it seem like bigger bumps are much worse than they are, could feel bad enough to seem like something is making contact.
The sway bar I installed had two holes. I used the softer setting which is the furthest hole. The I can feel the contact followed by the clunk noise. Maybe I should reinstall the factory end links as well to eliminate that as a issue. I'm not lowered but the car had eibach Sportline springs installed with the factory struts when I purchased the vehicle. I removed the eibach springs and installed factory springs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out what's making contact up front. The front sway bar came with mounting brackets so there is a backplate that gets installed where the brackets bolts in. I thought the extra bracket was angling the sway bar down more than the stock sway bar so I removed them.
I also noticed that the sway bar move freely side to side and the kit did not come with lateral locks.
I actually was able to achieve more clearance between the trailing arm and sway bar but I took the car out for a test drive and its doing the same thing.
Anytime I go over a decent size bump in the road I feel some kinda contact from the bottom front underneath the car followed by a clunk noise.
Could the sway bar be sliding back and forth slamming into the bushing bracket?
I would only think if the sway bar would move back and forth it would be on turns not going straight over bumps.
This is driving me absolutely crazy.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
What sway bar is it and can you post a picture of it installed on your car from the wheel well looking in?

Not having lateral locks could be a factor since you went with a much stiffer bar and endlinks, I'd recommend buying a set regardless, they're fairly cheap. When you look at the bar now after driving with it is it noticeably shifted to one side?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What sway bar is it and can you post a picture of it installed on your car from the wheel well looking in?

Not having lateral locks could be a factor since you went with a much stiffer bar and endlinks, I'd recommend buying a set regardless, they're fairly cheap. When you look at the bar now after driving with it is it noticeably shifted to one side?
I believe the issue I am experiencing is related to the moog end links.
There is no contact being made. I have plenty of clearance. The sway bars are ST suspension. I should have just reinstalled the factory end links last night.
The clunky noise and impact is the same experience as bad or faulty end links.
The factory end links are in good shape and I only wanted them due to fear of the factory ones bending under greater load from the thicker sway bar.
I will reinstall the factory end links tomorrow and hopefully that solves the issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Update...just got done swapping out the moog end links back to the oem front end links and installing whiteline lateral locks. Took her out for a drive and no more clunking. She drives alot better now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts