Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought the M and S nightshadow bumper from Jay at SFR and it came out of the packaging as seen in the following pictures. I did not want to post these but he is unwilling to work with me. I took it to a very reputable paint and autobody shop (Lanzini who paints all the classic cars for Chip Foose on his show Overhaulin') and they said it would be at least another 10 hours of labor just to make this bumper ready for paint. And after that i still may see shadows where these imperfections were before. It also will chip easier and the paint may not stick as well in these spots which alomost totally cover the bumper. That would cost at least the same price i paid for the bumper alone. Once again I didn't want to go vendor bashing but.... Just let me know what you think

This crack seen below was so thin that I could see my fingers through the bumper.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but from your pictures it is really hard to tell what that is. It could be anything. Can you get a picture showing the actual bumper, so we can tell that is the bumper in question?

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i understand what youre saying but make no mistake it is the bumper. in the second pic you can see the mesh that would be in front of the intercooler.

·
***** Know It All
415 Posts
Can we get a whole bumper shot to get some perspective?

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
pictures are too big

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There are three cracks on the upper right side: one closest to the grill, one on the middle of that same line and one at the end where i said you could see my fingers through the bumper; two cracks on the bottom one is small the other not so small, one below the grill closer to the bottom left corner and one on the upper line in the corner closest to the grill

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Whatever the case may be with the pictures, I cannot see how any vendor would not issue an immediate replacement for that product. :dunno:

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatever the case may be with the pictures, I cannot see how any vendor would not issue an immediate replacement for that product. :dunno:
They are on back order and i understand that. Its the fact that he says that fiberglass products normally look like this and they need extra body work before putting it on the car.

·
1,322 Posts
Damn that sucks man. I've never received anything such as a bumper so I can't tell you what they are supposed to look like, but I know if I received that I would be pissed also. Did you pay for it with Paypal? If so you can probably start a claim through them. First I would keep trying to talk to SFR. Good Luck

·
 ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
1,913 Posts
I hope SFR will resolve this

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
jay will take car of you tho, could of got damaged in shipping either from korea or on the way to your house. it just sucks you cant call jay bc hes in korea

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ask other people that bought that bumper... like Jules at Havoc.

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
Well I think SOME of this has to do with aftermarket quality in general. My M&S sides had some prep work to make them perfect and apparently my bodyshop guy told me a little work is common. 10 hours is a whole different story. My M&S bumper has taken a beating over the year but must of come in pretty good shape because my bodyshop never said a word and it looked amazing and I don't think they did very much prep at all.

Good luck with all of this!

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i know. i was preparing for some body work and was willing to pay to get it done. But like coupedeville said 10 hours is a bit much:dunno:

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
i know. i was preparing for some body work and was willing to pay to get it done. But like coupedeville said 10 hours is a bit much:dunno:
have you gotten any other quotes from other body shops on the prep time? Maybe this place is looking to charge you 10 hours for something that takes less?

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
He did contact me and threaten that he will post pictures so I told him to do so.

I understand tsarbs3 and most of people on the forum are very inexperienced with aftermarket fiberglass bumper.
It is a part of nature made in Fiberglass yet M&S's finish and quality is almost perfect as far as fitment and quality of fiberglass go.
Please do not expect something like OEM urethane bumper from ANY of aftermarket fiberglass products..
Bodyshop does need to refinish the surface on most of case and DOES NOT require a lot of job to do.
Obviously that's depended which bodyshop you choose to go. They will try to charge you whatever the work and as you can see in the pictures, those little cracks (not even..) are easy fix and I can even do it in half an hour my self with minor tools.
Obviously, tsarbs3 didn't have any idea how much his bodyshop was going to charge and trying to return the front bumper.
But I told him straight up we won't accept the return.
From what I see, there is no absolutely NOTHING wrong with the product and you do need to expect something minor things when you are purchasing ANY of aftermarket products period.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
i agree with jay every after market bumper will have imperfections n ur going to a high end shop. i had guys tell me they would paint my lip for 400 i told them to get lost lol i got it done for 100 n it was amazing. also jules got his done 2 tone for 250 which is amazing it can all be fixed bro

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Wow, if thats considered minor, I'd hate to see what is considered major.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.