Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Jedi Master
6,454 Posts
i thought wire ga was based on amp's, not voltage?

· I'd rather do it myself
20,401 Posts
Wire ga is based on amps but the pump will still use so many watts to do the work. Higher voltage just pushes the electrons more.

If 13vs is not getting there then increasing the voltage will deliver more amps but heat the wire up even more.

· buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
Ok now I'm confused again. I've read that a few times and my friend is saying doing that requires going to a return style system....this is getting over my head quick lol....it's that correct? What am I missing? Sorry be patient with the noob while I ask stupid questions...he is also recommending going with a better pump like the Aeromotive 340. Cause it can handle PWM.
okay. your one that falls into this. Ive seen where people like myself kill the stock pump and some that kill aftermarket pump. not everybody has this issue. but if you have a tune like you do and pushing more boost and power then your needing to push more fuel. your pump is having voltage drop. meaning its trying to pump more fuel but its straining itself on what little power it has. the relay even on a non return system will bring or help keep a more stable power. 13.5 volts is what youll need. but I highly doubt your getting that. add the relay and it will help you.

Don't see why not. Based on your electrical gremlins however, you might want to consider following that DIY on an independant fuel pump relay.
yes I would.

I would think the independent relay fix is really bigger wire. If the OEM wire is only 16 ga then this is way too small for even the max current the OEM relay should carry. Add a little resistance from connectors or age and you are pulling the voltage way down. The OEM relay should be good for a minimum of 20A.

If the wire is too small bumping up the voltage will only increase the resistance. A 12 ga wire for the fuel pump would allow the battery voltage to get to the pump.
yup. when I did my relay I went up to a slightly bigger wire.

· buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
But it is the wire that needs upgrading. More than likely the OEM relay is big enough to do the job.
The wire going to relay from stock wiring is just to help power and turn relay on. The other power wire is coming directly from the battery itself which is bigger

· buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
Yes I realize that with the add on relay. I was suggesting that if you just ran bigger wire from the stock relay that is what's needed.
That would be a lot of work I would think vs relay

· wannabe guru
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok so @whatever210 let me try to get this straight. The relay Fix will be fine on a stock fuel system and stock fp regulator correct?

· buy me some race gas!
1,860 Posts
^ yes. I'm no longer fuel return. I'm stock style again with 750cc and running this relay mod

· FS section ravager
2,186 Posts
No more work than running a wire back from the battery.
A lot more work. As you would still have to run a line from the relay all the way back to the pump, as well as splice and modify stock wiring.

Where with a 2nd relay setup, you just have to run one nice sized power wire back to the pump and have a relay controlled by the stock relay, and a ground.

· FS section ravager
2,186 Posts
You are going to run a bigger wire unless the battery is in the trunk. There is nothing wrong with the factory relay. It's the power wiring for it.
I agree, but I wouldn't want to strip out the OEM wiring and replacing it.
I would use the wiring to control a relay, preserving the OEM wiring.

· wannabe guru
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks guys...should be putting on the pump tomorrow and I'll do the relay this weekend

· wannabe guru
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
so got the new pump in...go to start it, nothing. at this point im about to accidentally drop a lighter next to the tank lol. so i check for power at the plug...nothing. i swaped the horn relay for the F-pump relay...nothing lol.....then i noticed there was another 20amp fuse labeled for the fuel pump, what do you know that damn little thing was blown. Replaced that and she starts thank god...30 min before i need to leave for work lol

so now i ask, why did i blow that? i know the obvious first question would be a short, but how n the hell would that show up all of a sudden? it did kill the 1rst DW pump because i checked it off the battery. also i guess ill just stay out of boost till i do the Relay fix this weekend......

thanks for being patient with me guys lol

· FS section ravager
2,186 Posts
so got the new pump in...go to start it, nothing. at this point im about to accidentally drop a lighter next to the tank lol. so i check for power at the plug...nothing. i swaped the horn relay for the F-pump relay...nothing lol.....then i noticed there was another 20amp fuse labeled for the fuel pump, what do you know that damn little thing was blown. Replaced that and she starts thank god...30 min before i need to leave for work lol

so now i ask, why did i blow that? i know the obvious first question would be a short, but how n the hell would that show up all of a sudden? it did kill the 1rst DW pump because i checked it off the battery. also i guess ill just stay out of boost till i do the Relay fix this weekend......

thanks for being patient with me guys lol

Sounds like current damaged the pump, and the pump failed shorted instead of open, which blew the fuse.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts