Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 13’ 3.8 Track. Bought it used with around 22k miles on it and it’s been my daily for the last 2 years. Last time I was at the dealership for service, one of the service managers gave me a pamphlet that says, “BG GDI Fuel/Air Induction Service.” Basically it explains why you should get your fuel system cleaned every 15k miles for fuel efficiency, performance, etc. I was just wondering how many others have gotten this service done and if so, what are your overall opinions on its effectiveness? Also, I don’t have a catch can installed yet and I’m right at around 35k miles, should I get this cleaning done first and then install a catch can? I’m wondering if doing this will lessen the amount of times I’d have to bring my car in to have this done. Please give your thoughts and opinions!

P.S
I’m pretty cool with the service guys at my local dealership and one of them actually owns a Genny himself, so I know the car will be in good hands if I leave it to them to do this service.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carbon build up on valves can cause loss of compression. get a catch can asap.
Should I do the cleaning first or it doesn’t matter? I’ve done a ton of research on here about catch cans and I’ve been on the fence about getting one for the longest time. I’m new and very inexperienced when it comes to modifying cars, so I don’t know that I’d even be able to install one myself and a buddy of mine ran one on his Chevy SS and blew a head gasket. Different platforms I know, but this alone has kept me away from actually ordering one for the longest time.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Get the $40 one off eBay and install it on the PCV side (passenger). The LT side is a non-issue.

Also, it’s very doubtful that your buddy’s catch can caused a head gasket failure. Correlation doesn’t mean causation, so get it installed and don’t look back.

As for the cleaning, BG makes good products but it won’t matter when you do the cleaning, before or after is fine.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Get a catch can asap .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Apples and Oranges

What everyone is referrring to above is needed, (OCC) but is a completely different worry. (IM side valves). We with GDI's when referiing to the fuel system is Tank/ LPFP/ rail / HPFP/ HP rail/ injectors/injector nozzle. Our system sprays directly into the cylinder, not on the outer valve side.

Your service advisor is targeting the latter. Honestly, its what is done on a daily and regular basis more than some once in 15K basis thing that matters.
**He could also be trying to sell you his valve cleaning service as a fuel system service. A true valve cleaning service would be kinetic, and involve them removing your IM and upper heads. $$$$$

No pump gas made has a "good enough" add pack to be preventative.

What does work?

Some type of per tank, fuel treatment done regularly.
A bottle of techron every 5K. Not stupid fancy expensive total fuel treatment ****. Just plain old TECHRON, its patented.

I mix my own fuel with its own add packs. So my accelerator has a specific fuel treatment, a "cleaner", a molecule conditioner, as well as a super lubricant. The cleaners are very proprietary among fuel makers.

A good example to give you an idea of its function is, ( a laquer remover), but one that is stable and resistant to be used in a high compression/pressure stoichiometric combustion function.

·
Registered
784 Posts
like you'd want your valves cleaned. then put a catch can and have no worries

Catch cans don't clean anything. They just reduce the amount of nasty oily crap that does make it.

**I better specify here. 2013 + 3.8's are GDI. The daily fuel additives and cleaners will keep the fuel rails and injectors clean. Valves on the other hand will ALL get burnt marshmellows.

Without catch cans about 22K, filthy.

With 40 or 50K filthy.

The ONLY thing that keeps a GDI's valves clean is,...............methanol injection. Perpetual silver valves.

So OP: 3.8 GDI, non turbo, no meth

Find a per tank fuel treatment to keep your fuel system and injectors like new.
Get a serious valve cleaning going forward.
Install a PCV side OCC to keep it cleaner longer.
(Dirty valves on a GDI can cause up to a 30 % loss in whp.)
You MPI dudes need t zip it ! LOL.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get the Seafoam Intake Cleaner and do it every 30K miles or so. GDI is very susceptible to carbon build up on the intake valves, cause there is no fuel cleaning them. The fuel is injected directly into the block, not the intake port. Damn EPA making the auto manufactures go crazy trying to find ways to be more fuel efficient at the cost of reliability. First it was Variable Valve Timing, you know how many plugged up solenoids I've seen. Worst ones are Hondas. Here's the link https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-case-studies-gdi-revival/

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
30k is too long of an interval. You need to be manually cleaning your valves every oil change. If you truly want to prevent the carbon build up on the GDI, get a vacuum pump. I've looked at over 100 BK2 3.8s personally from brand new to 100k miles and they all have the same issue, catch can or not. CRC GDI cleaner, seafoam, mopar ccc, engine degreaser, all of those things do NOTHING! You have to get in there and physically scrape that crap off. Get a walnut blast if you can find a shop to do it, then use a cleaner every oil change to try and keep them clean.

I cleaned mine when I put the vacuum pump in about 4k miles ago. So far my oil still looks and smells like new, my catch can is empty still (normally has an oz or 2 in it) and my valves are still as clean as I got them before.

Catch can is NOT enough. Fuel treatments are pointless for cleaning the valves, but they still need to be used for piston tops and bottoms of the valves.

And, the build up on the GDI valves is significant enough to cause a big drop in power.

·
Registered
426 Posts
30k is too long of an interval. You need to be manually cleaning your valves every oil change. If you truly want to prevent the carbon build up on the GDI, get a vacuum pump. I've looked at over 100 BK2 3.8s personally from brand new to 100k miles and they all have the same issue, catch can or not. CRC GDI cleaner, seafoam, mopar ccc, engine degreaser, all of those things do NOTHING! You have to get in there and physically scrape that crap off. Get a walnut blast if you can find a shop to do it, then use a cleaner every oil change to try and keep them clean.

I cleaned mine when I put the vacuum pump in about 4k miles ago. So far my oil still looks and smells like new, my catch can is empty still (normally has an oz or 2 in it) and my valves are still as clean as I got them before.

Catch can is NOT enough. Fuel treatments are pointless for cleaning the valves, but they still need to be used for piston tops and bottoms of the valves.

And, the build up on the GDI valves is significant enough to cause a big drop in power.
My bk1 3.8 is looking pretty good when reading about gdi problems.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Every oil change?... That seems excessive.

Maybe once a year (10,000 to 15,000 miles)

more so, if you don't drive it hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts