Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some functional carbon hood vents and was wondering if anybody has had any issues with rain/washing your car with said hood vents. Should i keep them and install them? Or should i stay away from installing them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Me personally, I would say it's fine. I pressure wash my engine bay all the time to clean it and I've never had a problem. I don't think the volume of water that could go through those little vents would hurt anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me personally, I would say it's fine. I pressure wash my engine bay all the time to clean it and I've never had a problem. I don't think the volume of water that could go through those little vents would hurt anything.

Okay cool, i dont drive the car in rain or anything so im not necessarily worried about that but i do wash it alot. Either way thank you for some info

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That topic comes up every now and again. The general consensus is it dosent hurt anything. If you were super worried you could put some blue tape over them temporarily for the car wash or rain or even keep the origionals in the trunk with a 10mm socket and quickly swap them if you expected prolonged rainy weather.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a CF hood with 6 vents. My only concern was my air intake sat under one of them. I bought an Injen Hydroshield which is basically a hydrophobic filter cover. Driven through heavy rain (Florida Thunderstorms) and washed car without worry or issues.

Reactions: JOutterbridge

·
Obsessed
1,190 Posts
I had a cf hood with open and unbaffled extractor vents on my boosted 3.8 for years. Modern vehicles are not affected by water the way older vehicles are. Electrical connections are sealed with o-rings, capacitors and such are potted in epoxy and completely waterproof, etc. You will not have an issue with water getting in, other than your engine bay being much dirtier much faster.
That being said, the "vents" in the factory hood are at a neutral angle, thus they don't scoop air nor extract it when driving. Replacing them with open vents will not make them any more appreciably "functional" than leaving them closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts