Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this video of my pretty much stock 2013 Genesis 2.0T (CAI and BOV) getting gapped by a tuned 2020 Civic SI. The owner of the Civic states that it makes around 230hp to the wheels, pretty much what ours make to the wheels. Also, weight also played a huge factor, especially since I had a extra passenger. No feelings were hurt in this video. It was good fun and I didn't come expecting much. Ya'll should check out his channel. Cool dude with an interesting build. Link below.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yep, you are stosk for sure.
By the way, that CAI is actually a SRI and takes in hotter air compared to OEM intake box - lose power due to higher charge temp.

Turbo back exhaust, 3point8performance stuffed OEM turbo, Alphaspeed tune and you are looking at 320 whp, easily.
Better intercooler for consistency.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, you are stosk for sure.
By the way, that CAI is actually a SRI and takes in hotter air compared to OEM intake box - lose power due to higher charge temp.

Turbo back exhaust, 3point8performance stuffed OEM turbo, Alphaspeed tune and you are looking at 320 whp, easily.
Better intercooler for consistency.

Really? It was sold as a CAI. I've noticed a few degree less on the intake temp (TorqueApp) since install. The heat shields also do a good job of keeping the heat away too. Noticed that the temps on the filter side are significantly cooler then the opposite side of the heat shield. Anyways, won't make a noticable performance gain withoit a tune.

And ya, I'm well aware of this cars potential power. Alot of untapped power. But it's also my daily and I like it to be reliable. At least until I graduate. Then the fun starts lol

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Really? It was sold as a CAI. I've noticed a few degree less on the intake temp (TorqueApp) since install. The heat shields also do a good job of keeping the heat away too. Noticed that the temps on the filter side are significantly cooler then the opposite side of the heat shield. Anyways, won't make a noticable performance gain withoit a tune.

And ya, I'm well aware of this cars potential power. Alot of untapped power. But it's also my daily and I like it to be reliable. At least until I graduate. Then the fun starts lol
All SRI with hear shields for Gen are sold as CAI. To be true CAI, it would have to sit out of engine bay (take out windshield washer bottle), filter sitting in the fenderwell.

The one with heatchield does fine when moving for extended period of time. If you are in slow traffic or in the line at the dragstrip, it sucks hot air from engine bay, heat soaks intercooler which then takes good 1/8 of the mile to cooldown.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha
All SRI with hear shields for Gen are sold as CAI. To be true CAI, it would have to sit out of engine bay (take out windshield washer bottle), filter sitting in the fenderwell.

The one with heatchield does fine when moving for extended period of time. If you are in slow traffic or in the line at the dragstrip, it sucks hot air from engine bay, heat soaks intercooler which then takes good 1/8 of the mile to cooldown.

Gotcha. Well thank God I'm rarely in traffic then. My commute is all highway, probably explains the cooler temps. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You can play it wery safe by throwing on a cat back exhaust, tune, run around 270whp.
Alphaspeed writes safe tunes instead of trying to squeeze max power.

Just run good oil that does well at elevated temps- Amsoil 5w30 or Quaker state 5w30, Renewed lubricants 5w30.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can play it wery safe by throwing on a cat back exhaust, tune, run around 270whp.
Alphaspeed writes safe tunes instead of trying to squeeze max power.

Just run good oil that does well at elevated temps- Amsoil 5w30 or Quaker state 5w30, Renewed lubricants 5w30.

I'm probably going to end up getting rid of it if I don't end up tuning it. It's already at 93k miles. It's been good to me. No issues whatsoever. Aiming to get the premium model with lower mileage if I do.

That Alphaspeed tune does catch my attention thought. Where are they located? I'm in Cali.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'm probably going to end up getting rid of it if I don't end up tuning it. It's already at 93k miles. It's been good to me. No issues whatsoever. Aiming to get the premium model with lower mileage if I do.

That Alphaspeed tune does catch my attention thought. Where are they located? I'm in Cali.
Alphaspeed has many dealers thought US, including BTR, all tunes are written by same individual.
Where are you located, I can give you contact based on that?

Also you car plus additional passenger had you 600lb heavier compared to SI - that's about 50 whp disadvantage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alphaspeed has many dealers thought US, including BTR, all tunes are written by same individual.
Where are you located, I can give you contact based on that?

Also you car plus additional passenger had you 600lb heavier compared to SI - that's about 50 whp disadvantage.

I'm located in central California. Specifically, in the Fresno area. I knew weight would be an issue coming in, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'm located in central California. Specifically, in the Fresno area. I knew weight would be an issue coming in, but it is what it is.
Khartuners and 3point8performance are your state dealers for Alphaspeed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah probably just that extra 700lbs of weight you have. It's a good measuring stick either way. Anyone ever break down why the gen coups are so heavy? A Civic Type R is 3100 lbs. Why are we at 3400 with only 2 doors:/ I think the Si is 2800.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yeah probably just that extra 700lbs of weight you have. It's a good measuring stick either way. Anyone ever break down why the gen coups are so heavy? A Civic Type R is 3100 lbs. Why are we at 3400 with only 2 doors:/ I think the Si is 2800.
Genesis is built much more regit and to handle large heavier drivetrain while civic platform is commuter econobox.
Rear weel drive layout adds atleast 350lb to the car vs FWD ( larger heavier transmission and unibody frame, rear subframe, 85lb differential, multilink independent suspension).

The only car that is close to civic type r weight is FRS, and that thins is tiny and bare of options and interior.

You can make any car fast, it only takes money. You cant make econobox: civic, wrx, focus look better then Gen in or out. Enjoy Gen, it's much cheaper to modify what you have instead of switching platform.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good points. I only was thinking that because it's as heavy as an STI or EVO VIII that has 4 doors and AWD. Can our suspensions and drivetrains really handle 400 to 500whp on just clutch upgrades too?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Good points. I only was thinking that because it's as heavy as an STI or EVO VIII that has 4 doors and AWD. Can our suspensions and drivetrains really handle 400 to 500whp on just clutch upgrades too?
Not sure about latest Evo, but I do know first hand that wrx/outback is very flimsy, frame is thin and drivetrain is weak.

Manual transmission and differential will handle 500whp. Engine has to be built for safety. But few people running a bit over 400whp on 3.8 turbo without being built for years.
Also LS swaps are easy and fairly inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
The civic is a smaller car.
The gen has a larger track width, and going by what most manufactures go by, this dictates the track length of the car.
The gen driveline parts are generally beefier, as from the transmission back, pretty much the same parts are used in the 5.0 v8 sedan.
That, and not much aluminum used on the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts